Odd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd question

Here's an odd question I'm hoping someone might know - if we measure fuel consumption/economy in either litres per 100km or miles per gallon, what yardstick would one measure an electric vehicle's consumption with?

Re: Odd question

Gday,I am guessing, but a starting point maybe your electricity bill and the cost of charging your batteries.From there calculate cost per kilometre and do the same with fossil fuel.I have not taken into account life of batteries, carbon footprint,depreciation etc. regards westwinds

Comment

A polo diesel (my next car, hopefuly with elsbett one tank coversion) isnt as good for fuel consumption as a pryass, however you are close to buying 2 polos for one toyota. If you are hoping for efficency why start with a petrol engine? And the polo can tow 1.2 tonnes ()

As far as I know, the cost of an electric car is minimal, however the batteries do wear out, (time depends of depth of discharge and a few other factors) which tends to bump it up to the cost of a petrol car.
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Yes it appears the polo comes in 2 engine sizes, in Australia a 1.8 turbo, (5L/100) availible in Australia or the 1.2 you have mentioned.

I remember seeing a top gear show, but thought it was a lupo, which is smaller again. Mind you they may have done a polo with the 1.2 engine in it. I dont think lupos are in Australia

I think electric cars do fill a niche for a couple of reasons, although if you regularly need to travel long distances and you only have one car in the household, you probably dont need to read further....
        1 If using a coal power plant for electricity generation, because the efficiency fo a power plant is moe than enough to make up for transmission losses, I believe they produce less CO2 for distance.
        2 If using green power, no CO2 in day to day use.
        3 For the "second" car in the family, great. Its easier to work out living in Mount Gambier, but there has only been two days in the last few years where both cars traveled more than 20ks, (both which were avoidable) making lead acid batteries viable (which are mostly recyclable, and a lot cheaper)

And if you really get stuck with an electric car, just tow a generator and bring it down to a preass level.....
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
        X