Help with filters before switching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with filters before switching...

I'm hoping to ultimately make the switch to BD, and bought a diesel car for the first time, upon switching cars recently, for that reason.

I'm pretty good with opening things and fixing them - I'm an IT type - but I've never tackled my car before. I'd like to become capable of doing my own routine servicing ultimately.

I'd like to become familiar with working with fuel filters in preparation for the switch - maybe install a CAV. I've seen drawings of the assembly but I don't really know where it goes/how it fits into the big picture.

Can anyone give me any guidance? Maybe with photos, so I can visualise where to put it and what to look for?

Thanks!

Edit: I just realised this might not be the right section for this. Sorry, newbie mistake! Can a mod move it? Thanks.
    deslea
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by deslea; 14 September 2006, 12:12 AM.

Re: Help with filters before switching...

Can I make one suggestion If you are avaliable for the 24th of this month only 10 days or so away you could come to our picnic and see for yourself exactly what is needed and how it all works Best idea would be to check out http://www.sydneybiodiesel.com/content/view/76/27/ which gives you all the info about it and location etc

Would be a great introduction to get you started and motivated
    Dave

Comment

What sort of vehicle do you have?

There are two ways to install CAV filters. Firstly and most simply is with an adaptor unit that directly replaces the factory fuel filter. This doesn't necessarily improve filtration, but it does make changing filters much cheaper at around $7 instead of $20-25 for an aftermarket replacement or up to $60 for some genuine brands. The adaptors are available for Toyota, Nissan, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Mazda and Isuzu.

The second is to install the complete original CAV filter and mount as an additional filter. This will require some fitting and thought on placement, but is not hard. The benefit of this is double filtration, with the costy effective CAV filter extending the life of your expensive genuine filter. The downside is the increased resistance of drawing fuel through two filters, and might be advisable to fit an electric fuel pump.
      Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Hi Team,
        I have also seen cav filter head units that have two filters in series including two seperate glass inspection/collection bowls so you get double cav filtration which has to be good. I already have the adaptor in my landie otherwise I would have given it serious consideration if I had known about them (available on ebay) and if I had space to fit it where the original is - I haven't measured it up for the obvious reason.

Regards,
        Cameron

Comment

Before you do anything!
          Find out how to bleed the fuel system. You never know when you might need to do this ie run out of fuel etc.
          CAV filters come in several different set ups. ie you can get double or a built in primer pump if rerquired.

Comment

If you are going to use a second filter then you should (MUST) get an electric lift pump.

It will cause too much restriction on the inlet of the injection pump or high pressure pump depending on the vehicle type. This will increase stress on the inlet vane pump and may possibly cause increased wear, noise etc and fuelling issues at load or speed.

You need a low pressure diesel fuel pump which is NOT like a petrol lift pump (high pressure). Walbro make one the 6065 10PSI pump as do holley. Available in all states in Australia.

My recommendation only.

Matt
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

PHP Code:
              [PHP][PHP
              [/PHP][/PHP]Re: Help with filters before switching...

Is this the case with one of the cheap tranparent plastic filters, Matt? I bought a couple for about $2 each from Supercheap, intending to put one just before the main filter once I start using bio (I haven't yet). Then it can be replaced easily and you can also see inside it. I don't know if Coles Catalogue offers them or not.

Would it be necessary to get a lift pump in this case? It sounds like it could be expensive/complicated.
              Last edited by joe; 16 February 2024, 02:24 AM.
              Sean

Comment

One of those small things should be OK just don't go putting a complete second vehicle filter system in and expect it to work perfectly.

Matt
                Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Working...
                X