Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Move is Coming Up Soon

Just a "heads up":

The recent run of outages from the current host have led me to take some steps to remedy this. I will be moving the forum to a better hosting provider in the coming weeks.

Additionally, I will probably also be upgrading the software that runs the forum, so it may look a little different, but it will still do the same job. (I thought if I have to go through the hassle of relocation, I may as well also do the upgrade at the same time).

I have just paid the for the upgraded license and I am hunting the hosts from my shortlist now. I will post again with an update when I have a plan and some details of the move. In the mean time, it could not hurt to click an ad or two, in here to help pay for this (or donate if you don't want to see the ads).

I will post here before any moves to announce any disruption. I will try to keep downtime to a minimum, but if you see any over the coming weeks, please be patient. When the forum is moved, it should be faster and more reliable.

Cheers,
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Forum Move is Coming Up Soon

I have a new host account setup now and I'll be moving this forum to it soon, probably even over this weekend. I'll post again just before I do the move. There will be some downtime. There will be a message up to say the move is in progress and then I'll remove the message and post in here when complete.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I will watch for the event.

Keep up the good work,

Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

OK boys and girls, I'm about to do it.

I've prepared everything and tested the procedure and I have done a few successful migrations from backups of this site to the new host.

The process should hopefully take less than an hour and will involve shutting down all interactive content on this site so that it can be backed up and moved to the new host without any changes being missed.

Once the data has been moved, I will redelegate the DNS. This means that after a (hopefully short) period, all users on the internet will be sent to the new host for biofuelsforum.com. You will be able to tell that this has happened as the forum will lose it's "closed for maintenance message". I will also update this post as well.

I'll start in about 20 mins, probably.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

The move is complete. Some of you will be seeing the forum here on the new host already. There is still a maintenance message on the old host for the people to see before their ISPs receive the update. (If you are seeing this post, you are using the forum on the new host now).

The forum for the moment will look and fee exactly the same as it did before the move. I've done some minor updates to the back-end scripts, but nothing that anyone will see here.

A bit later, I'll do some more upgrades, but for now the forum should be safe here running on this new host and hopefully it will be quicker and more reliable.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Monday morning and all appears to be working OK here.

Always a few anxious moments when doing a move - hope it wasn't too stressful at your end?

One thing you might look at if you get the chance would be to get the biodiesel.gifs back into the images/ranks/ folder so that we (I ?) can see them rather than the red crosses?

Geoff
            Geoffwin
            Last edited by Geoffwin; 26 July 2010, 10:28 AM.
            Telegraph Point NSW
            Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
            Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Hi Geoff,

As for as website moves go, this one was pretty good this time. I spent a good few hours planning and documenting beforehand and did a few dry runs before the real one. When it came time to do the actual final move, it took about 40 mins in total and I just ran through my document for each step and it worked fine.

Strangely, I had not noticed the missing biodiesel drops for the ranks. They must have gone a while ago from a past upgrade as that image was also missing on the old host's system. Firefox and Opera both don't display any images that are missing, only IE shows the red boxes, and I rarely test with that so I'd missed it. Thanks for mentioning it. I've now fixed it, so you may need a refresh.

Sometime soon, I'll also need to upgrade to vBulletin 4, which should give some more features, but I'll let it settle after the move first.

Cheers,
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

It is working fine and the drops are back - they have been missing for quite a while, possibly even as long ago as the "big crash".

Geoff
                Telegraph Point NSW
                Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
                Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Fantastic work Robert. I know these things seldom go smoothly, but you have proven that good planning produces excellent results.

regards

Craig
                  Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
                  210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
                  Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Working...
                  X