Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

BD is available in bulk or from a bowser in a range of blends (B20 Premium and B100) from SAFF Farmers Fuels outlets. See http://www.farmersfuel.com.au/
    Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

I've been waiting for any South Australians to pop up in this forum, but I guess that with such as wide range of servos selling it at the pump, they are a bit spoiled. Unlike the rest of us, they don't have to whinge in forums about the lack of biodiesel and organise themselves together to buy it in drums.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Hi there,

I am a regular user of SAFF Fuels Biodiesel in Adelaide.

Don't get too envious of the "wide range of outlets" - most of the SAFF fuel outlets are independently owned and don't have BioDiesel pumps.

I usually buy from SAFF Pooraka and have had good experiences.

I am a tour operator with a 4.2 Diesel Landcruiser GXL 100 Series.

Only problems are:

1. supply - quite often they will not have any

2. price variability - I travel quite a way to get the stuff and they are inconsistent in their price - they say "2cpl less than normal diesel", but they are not frequent changers of their prices so a price set in the weekly inflated market may stay inflated until their only supervisor gets in and makes the change.

3. price inconsistency - they price at every station differently. Generally it is only at the SAFF Fuels owned stations that you can get Biodiesel anyway. They can vary by 8cpl and don't talk to each other

4. Only available in Northern Adelaide - their Blackwood (Southern) station recently was sold and doesn't seem to be continuing with biodiesel

Ciao for now
      Andrew
      Vivid Adventures Photography Tours

Comment

Hi everybody, I am from Adelaide, and have just joined the forum.
        I am taking a slightly different tac for sourcing a reliable source of oils, and am thinking I should aproach some farmers who produce some oils crops to make diesel.
        Does anybody have any contacts in this area that I may follow up...?
        I have unsuccessfully, tried to source used cooking oils, If anybody has a reliable contact of used cooking oils could you please let me.
        Thankyou.
        Michael Kennedy
        wtodamk@airnet.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by wtodamk
          Hi everybody, I am from Adelaide, and have just joined the forum.
          I am taking a slightly different tac for sourcing a reliable source of oils, and am thinking I should aproach some farmers who produce some oils crops to make diesel.
          Does anybody have any contacts in this area that I may follow up...?
          I have unsuccessfully, tried to source used cooking oils, If anybody has a reliable contact of used cooking oils could you please let me.
          Thankyou.
          Michael Kennedy
          wtodamk@airnet.com.au
          How did you go with oil supply? If you are still scratching around let me know
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris
          Never give up :)

Comment

Hi Chris,
            I have not had any luck trying to procure any oils as of yet...
            It is extremely hard, and any prices for oils are too expensive..
            I wish I knew somebody as I would be purchasing around 400 - 500 litres per week of oil..
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            And on the other topic of being spoilt in SA with Bio-Diesel outlets, You have got to be kidding, there are only a couple of outlets and they are on the other side of Adelaide, making it a non viable proposition for me..

Comment

Oh I did forget to mention, that I have about 16 - 44Gallon (205 litre) drums for anybody who wants them. They have been used for carrying diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by wtodamk
                Oh I did forget to mention, that I have about 16 - 44Gallon (205 litre) drums for anybody who wants them. They have been used for carrying diesel.
                You should keep them for transporting veggie oil.
                You need to look up food processing industries in your state and speak to the manager or stores people to determine what they use and how they deal with the used cooking oils. You may be able to buy from them, outside of their oil pickup contract. It is amazing how much weight a few cartons of "liquid amber" can carry with the management and staff of workplaces. I believe the going rate for "Crownies" is around 250 - 500 litres per carton. Nothing appears on the 'books' but the workplace morale improves markedly.
                Tony
                Tony From West Oz
                Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 26 June 2006, 12:03 AM.
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

If you finally get lucky with a restaurant to pick up their WVO, those 44's will be like gold. The best way to be successful with a restaurant is to make the waste pick up as easy and "path of least resistance" and "no mess" as possible. You may need to cut up a 44, install a wire gauze, and leave it onsite for the restaurant. so hold onto them. Some recyclers sell cleaned 44's for $50, typical price.
                  The first BD reactor i have ever seen, a "Golddiesel" plant, based on the Appleseed plant, is made from two 44,s welded to a frame with a few pumps and pipes, a few bells and whistles for good measure, and sold for SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!
                  Dont trust anyone named Colin Gillam, who has been reselling the same Golddiesel plant now for years.
                  A 44 with the top cut out, turned upside down and an elbow tap fitted to the 19mm out, then sitting on blocks to elevate it, makes a great settling tank, to drop out the water in WVO and to drop out the glycerine in unwashed BD.
                  darren leonadas
                  Last edited by darren leonadas; 28 June 2006, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darren leonadas
                    If you finally get lucky with a restaurant to pick up their WVO, those 44's will be like gold. The best way to be successful with a restaurant is to make the waste pick up as easy and "path of least resistance" and "no mess" as possible. You may need to cut up a 44, install a wire gauze, and leave it onsite for the restaurant. so hold onto them. Some recyclers sell cleaned 44's for $50, typical price.
                    The first BD reactor i have ever seen, a "Golddiesel" plant, based on the Appleseed plant, is made from two 44,s welded to a frame with a few pumps and pipes, a few bells and whistles for good measure, and sold for SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!
                    Dont trust anyone named Colin Gillam, who has been reselling the same Golddiesel plant now for years.
                    A 44 with the top cut out, turned upside down and an elbow tap fitted to the 19mm out, then sitting on blocks to elevate it, makes a great settling tank, to drop out the water in WVO and to drop out the glycerine in unwashed BD.
                    Darren
                    You are spot on mate, I have come accross this outfit
                    In a previous posting of mine I did mention that what I saw was about $1500 worth and in that I was generous
                    In all fairness to the man you mention when I spoke to him he suggested that the units where to dear he also said to me that he is no longer involved with selling the units as the people that were making them up were not prepared to reduce their prices So he no longer sells these units, this was about two months ago
                    In so far as drums are concerned I will be bringing some at the meeting at CERES to give away so ANYONE that is interested let me know and make sure you have some means of taking them home with you as well as something to tie them down with
                    That is so I dont have to take them back home again
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    They are from
                    Cheers
                    Cheers
                    Chris

Comment

Hi Darren
                      Got that date right Read my last post in so far as drums are concerned for the meeting Empty drums are a bit of a pain to carry so if we get the numbers It will be great I will throw a couple of extra on any way just in case
                      Cheers
                      Chris
                      Cheers
                      Chris

Comment

Hi Guys.

Seems as though this thread has been dormant for a few years now, so I was wondering if anyone has found or heard of new fuel stations that offer biodiesel or blends with regular diesel?

Thanks

Comment

Mount Gambier is selling the efuffe (the new branding of saff) with "premium diesel" which is meant to be b20. About the only B(anything) for about 350ks that I am aware of.
                          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Now that SAFF is has gone into receivership & been repurchased; is the new owner continuing to sell Biofuels, or have they switched to fossil fuels entirely?
                            Morris Lyda
                            [URL=http://www.thebiodieselstation.com]
                            The Biodiesel Station

Comment

Chatting to a guy in one of the servo's, (not the Mount Gambier one) they have been bought by a company called "mogas" and have removed the "bio" from biounleaded, and biodiesel is no longer availble from Port Wakefeild or Tailem bend, (they also advertised premium diesel, which has remained unchanged, so I guess now its no longer B20) the Tarpeena one seems to have closed.
                              Mind you the local one (a ennfue or something similar) hasn't changed from bio unleaded so I am unsure if they are seperate or not, it may be "up to" not "contains" ethanol.
                              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
                              X