Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota HiAce

G'day

I am a new member & am hoping to get a few pointers to get my new van up & running
    I have previously owned a Dihatsu Delta which ran on WVO. But the engine blew up due to a blown crack shaft bearing
    I didn't own the poor old thing for long, so didn't really learn alot about WVO convertions.

I am currently (trying) to convert my 1990 3L HiaAce to run on WVO.
    Due to the lack space under the van and in the engine compartment, I will have to put the tank in the van, so therefore am opting for a non-heated fuel tank with an in-line heater option.
    So far its going OK... I have installed my tank & have my solinoide and in-line heater and all my hoses & wiring... It's just a matter of installing it!

I have a few questions:
    1) What filters do you poeple use to pre-filter before adding to the tank, and what brand of filter do you recommend in the engine bay.

2) Where in Sydney can I buy filter socks

3) Has anyone had any problems with there oil congealing in a non-heated tank? ... I have been watching my oil over Winter and have observed it dosn't seem to congeal in cold temperatures.

Any info would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
    Craig Laurendet

Re: Toyota HiAce

I run a 3L '98 (and a 2L '90 before that) in NZ.
    Onboard filter is a CAV296 type with locally made GUD brand elements. Have had trouble with the glue the filter is bonded with, "pulling away" from the tin housing. Am curently looking at other filter options. A possibilty is to use a polyester sock filter as it has a "sealing ring" and is good to 110C - 140C.
    I have hose-in-hose type heat exchanger and you want minimum fuel line size of 3/8in/10mm for that. I loop the return line back into the feed, just before the injector pump. This means the filter has much less work to do. Theres a glowplug at that point with a 100c thermostat there also. When I start and shut down on diesel, I return fuel to its' own tank. I haven't used the expensive pollark valve for switching but use "individual valves", all reachable from the drivers' seat.
    I have a heated tank in the van....makes it very hot inside!! Sydney would be much worse in mid-summer. I suggest you probably don't need a heated tank for your local conditions but would also depend on oil type also. e.g..... Cottonseed is noticibly worse than canola.
    I suggest wrapping your hose-in-hose around the fuel tank and then put insulation over that. My h-i-h is 5m long.
    I prefilter down to 5 micron with polyester sock filter. Heres a link from NZ based co. http://www.particlesolutionz.co.nz/pdf/cleargafleaf.pdf
    Am sure you could find a local co with the same hayward brand.
    I use a piece of of loose weave fabric inside the sock to catch bigger particles. It extends the life of the sock significantly. I heat the oil up to drive off any moisture and filter while still hot. Though probably advisable to filter at below the temp that your h-i-h is going to deliver to the onboard filter. I also thin the fuel with petrol....around 15%, otherwise I've had trouble with injector coking. I have injector line heaters which I made from nichrome wire and ceramic beads for insulation. Each injector line draws 2amps, all thru a single relay.
    Hope this helps....let me know.
    Tbird650

Comment

Originally posted by tbird650
      Onboard filter is a CAV296 type with locally made GUD brand elements. Have had trouble with the glue the filter is bonded with, "pulling away" from the tin housing. Am curently looking at other filter options.
      Hi tbird650

I use the same CAV296 filter, but use Fleetguard/Cummins cartridges. I've had no trouble with glues as you have with the GUD elements, and my filters get HOT with my oil coming straight out of a 26-plate HE just before the filter. The Fleetguard/Cummins ones are cheap too at under $4 each if you buy a boxed dozen. Give them a try.
      Cheers
      Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
      1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
      1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Originally posted by bruceT
        I use the same CAV296 filter, but use Fleetguard/Cummins cartridges. The Fleetguard/Cummins ones are cheap too at under $4 each if you buy a boxed dozen.
        Hi Bruce,

The photos on your website seem to show a Delphi cartridge. Did you have trouble with those and then switched to Fleetguard/Cummins? Where do you buy the Fleetguard/Cummins cartridges and what is the part number?

Do you think the Fleetguard/Cummins cartridges could handle an electric, clamp-style fuel heater?

Comment

Hi Craig,

I live in Sydney. I run my Merc 240D on WVO.

Call me sometime and we can have a chat.

0438 01 33 91

Jason
          1977 240D Twin Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
            Hi Bruce,

The photos on your website seem to show a Delphi cartridge. Did you have trouble with those and then switched to Fleetguard/Cummins? Where do you buy the Fleetguard/Cummins cartridges and what is the part number?

Do you think the Fleetguard/Cummins cartridges could handle an electric, clamp-style fuel heater?
            Hi Jake, sorry for the delayed reply. I took the photos soon after installation when the Delphi cartridge was still installed. I replaced it with a Fleetguard cartridge when I thought it had plugged and my engine was stalling. However, it turned out to be the strainer in my outboard tank that was blocked with HMP wax from a tank load of oil that I had warm filtered. I've since removed the strainer in the tank and have had no further problems. I now cold filter to 5 micron, so I could probably put the strainer back with no issues. Apart from the Fleetguard cartridge I pulled apart to see what the paper looked like inside (it was still fine), I have only used one other. The current Fleetguard cartridge has been in place for about 4000km. The Fleetguard part no. to replace the Delphi CAV 296 is FF167A.

I presume you are referring to the external wrap-around heater? If so I shouldn't think you'll have any problems with the cartridges. My filter cartridges get way to hot to hold your hand against, so I'm gussing the temp is somewhere around 70degC. However, it would nevertheless be sensible to install a cheap plastic see-through filter before the IP anyway. Of course, NOT one of those ones with a paper element!!!
            Cheers
            Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
            1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
            1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

G'day and thanks for the responses. Especialy Jason: Your information has been very helpfull.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I guess I wanted something to report first.
              I have installed most of the convertion, but haven't had it running yet.
              I decided to take it for a 'vibration test' since I was off to the Wolgan anyway.... Now I know which bolts need a lock type washer

Now all I need to do is filter some of my oil and take it for a test drive. Wish me luck!
              You can check out some photo's of my convertion at: craigs building site

Craig
              Craig Laurendet

Comment

I just Got my van going
                Altho i've only done about 20km so far, everthing seems to be going OK.

Having an inline heater option, to cut down heat in the van, is definatly the best way to go, as it gets very hot up hear in the mountains!
                And the oil dose not seem to congeal.

Now I have to investigate tuneing the injectors.

Thanks
                Craig
                Craig Laurendet

Comment

Working...
                X