Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picnic

Great day at the picnic. There is one thing I want to know, where does Wayne (Geewizzto) get his oil. Robert made up a batch with his oil and got about a 99% yield of top quality vegetable oil based biodiesel.

Re: Picnic

(I've moved your thread in here Terry so that he folk in the other states don't get jealous about missing the day )

Great day, besides the gale force winds that made us scurry to pack up stuff earlier than we would have otherwise.

Big thanks to you all for coming. Special thanks to Terry for bringing his "people's processor" (I regret that I did not end up getting time to follow this process through properly as I was running about on other jobs during the day). Also thanks to Cameron for bringing the BBQ and cooking on it - much appreciated. Thanks also to Phil for helping to collect the money, write the name tags and even do a bit of relief on the BBQ. Thanks to Graeme as well for getting there early and setting up his BBQ and generally helping where he could. Big thanks to Wayne for bringing all his kit and demoing the making of biodiesel for everyone. Also for having the stickers made up - your sterling efforts were appreciated by all. Also to Morris who brought his B100 truck and was able to supply the faithful despite some tricky parking arrangements.

Before I make this sound like one of those crappy acceptance speeches, I'll cut it off and say a big thanks to everyone, especially those of you who came in from afar and those of you who brought interesting things to show us.

We managed to raise $105 from the BBQ and $220 from the registration on the day which is great as it just covered the fee to hire the pavilion, the food & drinks that were bought and Wayne's sticker, but sadly did not leave anything over for the grandiose plans we had... We managed to cover our costs and we can keep the left over drinks and freeze the sausages for the next one, so we came out in front. Next time we might try to find a venue that does not charge us so much.

My only regret is that I spent so much time running back and forth I didn't really get to sit and chat with you all as much as I would have liked, so we'll have to do this next time (soon).
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks again Robert for organising a great day for us novices, and I think the old hands seem to enjoy it too. Maybe we can take it to different areas like b/ mountains or even southern highs or the hunter next time, but ther does have to be mopre of these. I am really onto Thomas's hydrogen unit and I going to do some experiments on that. Absolutely fantastic. Keep up the good work Robert. Bob Kellyville.
      There you are a five smiley rating.

Comment

Although I got there much later than I would have liked thanks to my sons sporting commitments, I had a great time meeting everyone and looking at all the displays and demonstrations.
        I have been to a couple of these things before put on for other interest groups and this was far and away the best attended, organised and friendly gathering I have attended.
        Well done Robert, hopefully it wasn't too much trouble on your part and we can do it again before too long so those frozen sausages and drinks don't go past their use by date.
        My Mrs packed a big esky but the smell of the BBQ made us change our mind and we bought some tasty tucker and the esky came back home unopened.

I would be keen to attend these get togethers every 3-6 months as there didn't seem to be enough time to chat to everyone or take in all the knowledge present. If they were a regular thing, I'm sure more people would bring their ideas and inventions with them and we would all benifit from that.
        I thought the venue was great as the kids were able to go hire some bikes and play in the water and basically not bug me about being bored.

I think Wayne has now qualified himself as the most helpful person with showing others how to make BD in Sydney and has a growing school of grateful students all thankful for the help he generously gives them.
        Look for him soon to be appearing at a Shopping centre near you with his traveling BioDiesel & titration show!
        I bet the Oil that worked so well WASN"T the high titration stuff I give him!

So, When we going to do the next one? Would it be a good idea to set a date for the next get together sooner rather than later so we can all put it on our calendars and keep the date free?

Comment

Brilliant day all 'round! I'm looking forward to the next meeting! I like the idea of having a meeting in the Blue Mountains or the Huter Valley.

Comment

Well that was a very good day

After some fun at home i have finally got the Internet back on. Well that is a problem when the power is out for like 6 hours! Oh well can't always have everything and summer has come with a bang down here in the southern highlands today fires and trees down and blackouts and I was out and missed all the fun

Anyway another day sounds like FUN but I don't think this side of christmas is going to be much a gooer as people seem to get into family christmas parties etc etc.

I would like to work with ceres/macauthor sustainable living at Mt Annan for some time in the new year for a workshop if people are intrested? Whats peoples thoughts?

I am going to be speaking with them this comming week to see their intrest and what we as a group might be able to do for them and what they might be able to help us with

It was discussed in a passing fashion that MAYBE we could convice Morris to come out once every couple maybe 3 weeks and buy BD. What would peoples thoughts be? I am sure morris would not want to come out for a small load as that would just be a waste but if it was a 1000L I am certain he would look at it from the chat that was going on today Morris over to you on that one thats your party we just want to know were and when

Other than that it was a great day and thanks
            Dave

Comment

It sounds like a fun and valuable day was had by all. I'm sorry I missed out due to other commitments, so I would love it if another one is planned, perhaps early next year some time.

Anyone got any photos they can post up?
              Sean

Comment

Hello all!

I took a few photos today before the damn batteries in my camera went dead! Hope they come out ok.

Enjoy!

Comment

Well done to all involved, I enjoyed the afternoon and it was great to meet like minded folk and exchange ideas. One of the attractions of this hobby is that there is no single right or wrong way to make biodiesel and everyone has their own favourite technique.

Terry, I get my oil from various sources but I must admit to bringing my 'best oil' to the picnic, I'm sworn to the official secrets act so I can't say where I got this, except to say that the armed services must get top notch fried food. Yes you certainly got some high quality bio there.

Perhaps you could expand in general terms about your 'formula'. How does it not matter about titration or the concentration of the methoxide?

As David stated a couple of weeks ago, the visual apperance of the oil is not always a good indicator of the FFA content. I have some oil that is a nice light, clean, clear yellow colour but titrates between 10-13mls. I've also had dark brown and gloopy oil/fats that titrate at less than 2mls.

Judging by the interest at yesterdays gathering and other external requests, I think workshops at Mt Annan could be very popular and I would be willing to participate. Perhaps others who are interested could contact us through this forum, maybe start a new thread for this.

Wayne

Comment

I'm sorry I had to miss the day due to work commitments.

As much as I would like to get to attend another social day, I would be VERY, VERY interested in a workshop/How-To day whenever, whereever one should be held.
                    Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the great day, pitty about the bloody wind!!

I think a few of us were having some issues with our throats due to all that dust.

A big thanks to Wayne for the tutorials and advice, when i get a spare minute I'll put all the advice to good use.

And continue my quest to find a source of 'Good Oil'

Ulli

Comment

I've posted up some photos from the day at www.sydneybiodiesel.com/photos.
                        If anyone has any photos to give me from the day, please do. (Thanks to David who took many of the photos).
                        Robert
                        Administrator
                        Last edited by Robert; 27 September 2006, 11:23 PM.
                        Robert.
                        Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
                        X