Toyota 3L diesel engine repair..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota 3L diesel engine repair..

Hi all, my 97 Toyota Hiace engine, 3L diesel (same as found in Hilux/Surf) has come to some grief and am hunting around to advice on a best course of action.. I came here to research SVO a couple of years back and know I can trust the advice..!

- basically the crank pulley has worked it's way loose (judging by the damage, this has been happening over a long time). The power steering and alternator suddenly went dead, found the pulley bolt sitting on the cross member beneath the engine, with the crankshaft able to spin clean of the pulley. Once dismantled, discovered the woodruff pin sheared clean and the mating surfaces of the pulley and crank end cannibalised.

Despite being a 360K km engine, there is no problem (8L/100km, no noise, no excessive soot, not oil consumption) and would hate to have to exchange for an unknown reco, never mind having to waste the $$. I'm guessing there must be a way to get the remaining woodruff key out, bolt on another pulley and get a few more kms out of this engine..

So I'm throwing this over to you guys, maybe someone's had a similar experience, maybe found a genius fix or is a legendary bush mechanic?

Cheers

James

Here's some pics:

Re: Toyota 3L diesel engine repair..

It looks like the woodruff key slot in the crank is still there, if you can get the old key out, then with a new pulley and a new key, bolt it back together (tight this time) and you should be back on the road again.

The damage appears to be due to the bolt coming loose, falling out and the pulley working its way forward.

Didn't you notice any unusual noises from the engine?

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Is there no harmonic balancer? Or did the rubber disintegrate? I had a harmonic balancer perish and fail on my fairlane years ago. The pulley simply fell off.

Comment

The woodruff key will come out with a small punch and hammer, you will probably need to remove the crank belt sprocket first. I would be replacing the cam belt, and seals at the same time. I think you will find that the crank will damaged, and the new front pulley will be lose on the crank. Locktite has a product that will fix it, called quick metal. just clean squirt and assemble. the bolt also needs to be locktited in with super stud lock.
        this will make disassembly a little difficult, the bolt and crank pulley will have to be heated, so do your cam belt an seals so you dont have to worry for 100,000 kms.
        I have a woodruff key, crank belt sprocket, belt guide washer, bolt and a crank pulley off a 2.4 in the shed. Im not sure they are the same so measure the nose of the crank (Diameter and length) and Ill check them out if you like.

Comment

Hi colvan,

a mate of mine had the 2.8 3L and had never ending probs with the bolts breaking on his power steering etc.

His engine blew up big time due to thermostat probs so make sure you change them every few years and use a good coolent/anti rust.

The other thing he found was you must change oil at every 5000km or suffer the consequences long term.

God bless, Froggo
          HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
          Home made 2 tank system
          Blending in main diesel tank
          SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
          http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies! I've put this across a few toyota forums as well, and have had very productive response. I couldn't find much information prior to this, so hopefully a bunch of other people can benefit from this info. I'll update with pics once the job is complete.

I've managed to get the belt guide washer and pull the crank belt sprocket off. Didn't realise there was a washer until I tapped around! The sprocket is good, but washer is totalled and looking like one of the trickier parts to source. Smithw - I'll message you about your parts.

Having great trouble getting the remaining key out, punching only seated the key further. Drilled 3.3mm and tapped for a 4mm high tensile bolt to pull out, but the tap broke mid way through the process.. drilled another hole beside and tried a self tapping screw with heat on the crankshaft, again, no good. I'm now patiently drilling the key out a third of the length and will try punch again along with some heat.

If I were to do this again, I'd do pull first rather than punch down, and with a 5mm tap and bolt.

Once this is all done, I'll clean it up with some emery cloth and carby cleaner, then loctit liquid metal with a new key, replacement pulley and bolt. Then a new timing kit, crank and cam seals, waterpump and new belts - the engine was only 15K km off from having the timing belt replaced anyway.

Back to the cause - I had the timing belt replaced as soon as I acquired the van some 6 years ago. The mechanic whinged about how he cut his hands up changing the belt. Noticed a very slight metallic rattle ever since, nothing major, but no other mechanic could diagnose the problem. I now suspect the the guy that changed the timing belt didn't torque the pulley bolt, or not tighten the bolt at all... pretty annoyed about this, but work done 6 years ago seems too difficult to chase up. Thing is my girl and I have planned a decent trip in 3 weeks time, so I'm actually glad the breakdown happened 2km from home, and not 800km!

Comment

hi James
              Did you get your engine going?

Comment

Working...
              X