Forum Upgrade Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Upgrade Today

I have been talking about this and meaning to do this for far too long now and today, I find myself with a few hours clear. I can only hope it will be enough...

A bit later today, I will start the upgrade of the software that runs this forum. A few things will break and need fixing once it is upgraded and hopefully there will also be some cool features that make it all worthwhile (especially for moderation and spam prevention, which has been lacking).

Please be patient while this is done. I will stop the forum and post up a message on the front page when it is happening and I will update this thread when it is complete.

Cheers,
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Forum Upgrade Today

Well, my didn't end up with quite the time I thought I'd have when I posted this morning.
    I just had the forum offline for about 20 mins while I started some of the upgrade process. So far so good, so I've just put it online again. I'll do a bit more (and probably take the forum offline for a longer period) in an hour or two.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

I've completed the initial prep work and first round of upgrades, so the forum is now back online. You should notice nothing different in here yet. I will push on to some more major upgrades tomorrow.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

I've just finished the upgrade to the "latest and greatest" version of this forum software. I've not yet had a chance to look at any of the new features. I've also just restored the old logo at the top which does not really match the new style, so I'll have to improve that later. I have noticed a massive wave of spam attacks, some of which are now slipping through as I've had to disable many of the old security settings I had previously to get the upgrade done. I'll slowly be implementing newer versions of these settings, so please be patient. I will turn the forum back on now, so please report any problems you notice in this thread.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Robert, new interface looks great. Thanks for your hard work, it is appreciated.

Comment

I think there are still quite a few loose ends. Has anyone tried to attach any images or files yet? I'm not sure if it's working. Could you please use this thread to post any issues that you experience and I'll see if I can sort them out.
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

I got 406 errors when I tried to upload jpe and gif images.

I like the new look and the attachment manager adds both flexability and complexity to the task of making attachments.
              sigpic

www make-biodiesel.org

Comment

OK. I'll have a look at the attachments and post back here when fixed.
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

Looks great. Now I have to retrain my brain.

Michael
                  97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                  2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                  2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                  2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                  2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                  Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

hi Robert
                    tyred to attach photos yesterday and got an error,

Comment

I have a temporary fix for those of you who have been unable to upload attachments. This is a work around until I can find a proper way to fix the new attachment system.

To do this, you can disable the new attachment upload interface in your account preferences. To access this setting (once you're logged in), click on "Settings" in the top right, then under "My Account", "General Settings" on the left. Scroll right down to the bottom under miscellaneous options and you will see "Enhanced Attachment Uploading". Turn it off and click "Save Changes". Now you will return to using the old attachment uploading method.
                      Robert
                      Administrator
                      Last edited by Robert; 31 October 2011, 04:30 PM.
                      Robert.
                      Site Admin.

Comment

Great work Rob,

It makes the site much easier to use and it looks nice, as a few of us have pointed out, thanks for sacrificing your "playtime" for it :-)

all the best

Jens
                        1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Is there anyway to Enhanced Attachment Uploading to No as default?

I really like the upgrade so far.
                          sigpic

www make-biodiesel.org

Comment

Hi Robert,
                            Other than the new look to the forum which I will get used to, I do not really see any difference.
                            If you could make a list of the improvements I think it would be useful.

Comment

Hi Tilly,

There are a great many differences, like all major revisions of most software. However, most of the user interface stuff (the bits you see) have been kept as familiar as possible. There are some new features that don't yet work properly (like uploading attachments). Most of the differences come at the back end, with more efficient server use and security features. There is a massive wave of spam and other attacks that are pounding this forum (like all others) every minute. A large part of my focus in this upgrade has been to better fortify the forum from such attacks. More importantly the moderators who have done a sterling job at manually removing it all before any of you see it, need to have some of their time freed up to look at managing the real content in here, so I'm working on tools to make their jobs easier.

The reality is that 90% of this forum's features are not really touched by the userbase here, so this upgrade will only look slightly different in style to most of you, but be assured, there is a lot more "under the hood". Once I've got the back-end stuff stable and I'm satisfied with it, I may put my focus on some of the user features. As you suggested, it would be useful to list them here.

Cheers,
                              Robert.
                              Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
                              X