• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDReprint MIXING GASOLINE AND DIESEL

TDReprint
    MIXING GASOLINE AND DIESEL
    (Issue 26, pages 14 – 15)
    My wise old mechanic who has worked on Mercedes for years told me that if I put one gallon regular gas to a diesel tankfull after about every four tanks that it would perform essentially the same job as a fuel injector cleaner at a fraction of the cost.
    I would like to hear a technical opinion.
    BILL CARSON , e-mail
    Mixing Gasoline And Diesel
    I have read this article several times. Those who are desperately afraid of blending gasoline in waste oil based fuels commonly link it to. If you pay attention to the article more closely you will find first of all that the author is a fuels engineer for power plants, this means he knows absolutely nothing about diesel engines and diesel fuels. Secondly, anyone who has spent any time blending gasoline with waste oils will know that the author is clueless.

Coking in WMO is inherent due to the high carbon content in the fuel. There is also lacquer dissolved in all WMO, which is a significant contributor to coking while running WMO blends. I would suggest if anyone wants to test the gasoline blending theory to run WVO blends containing 15-20% gasoline in your diesel engine, and I am confident that you will find no coking when running WVO blends. This means it is not the gasoline in the blend, nor the WVO, but the WMO that is causing coking of the injectors. And, if you are successful at making translucent WMO blends, then you will find your injectors do not get coked. Therefore we can conclude it is the free-carbon and lacquer in the WMO that is the cause of injector coking when burning WMO-based blends.
Working...
X