PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

hdj80
15th December 2005, 08:04 AM
Hi,
My name is Peter
I have an Appleseed processor which I have been making Biodiesel in for the past 3 mths, I have however been studying Biodiesel production for over 2 years.
My HDJ80 Landcruiser is a 1991 Direct Injection 6 cylinder Turbo BioDiesel 170,000km's and has just done over 2000km's on B100.
If you live in Canberra and you need a helping hand well I am more than happy to help get you up and running...it is so easy you will be kicking yourself for not starting sooner, I am.

Robert
15th December 2005, 09:52 AM
Hi Peter and welcome to the forums. Glad to see someone from the ACT has appeared. Hopefully now others will also pop up behind you. I'm sure that together we can all get a good biodiesel scene going in Canberra. You're nice and close to argue the excise politics on our behalf;).
Thanks also for your offer of helping any locals in Canberra - that's what this forum is all about.

dillyman
25th December 2005, 02:00 PM
Hi peter,

Welcome to the forum. Your history sounds very much like mine. After what seems years of reading multiple sites all over the net. I get pretty confused somtimes.

At last I have decided to blast it all and I have bought all the gear. just a couple of days ago. My decided method is also the 'appleseed process', wow! was I relieved to read your posting, I felt there is hope for me yet. Posted in recent days there has one 2 or 3 of us who are about ready to go, the same method you chose seems a popular way to go. Perhaps you could help with a simplified recipe of that you are using, especially as you seem to have been so successful. You must have been to have actual klms on the clock. Would you consider some timely assistance to those of us who are ready to go. Guidance from someone that is producing and perhaps had the same apprehension are we have. Practical experience is a great teacher. I know I am ready now for assistance of the nitty gritty from anyone with helpfull advice, I find this site helpfull and a great group of people, I am sure you will enjoy.
I should have wished you seasonal greetings first before attempting to satisfy my thirst for pactical knowledge by asking to pick your brains, Sorry.

All the best for the Xmas and The New Year to you and yours and again welcome.

Rgds

Derek

hdj80
5th January 2006, 10:29 AM
I am always happy to help out.

I have done a couple of modifications to the appleseed processor that I feel are needed as they have made life a little easier.

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/showthread.php?p=831#post831

I have also built an excellent pre-filter that sieves the large bits out of the oil prior to processing which can also be used as a pre-heater to melt fat etc and to be used during winter. Again better described in a picture/s. My standpipe type washtank I built has some very useful improvements also.

Parts List - Is another task.

Robert
5th January 2006, 08:19 PM
If you want to attach images in here it's easy - just click on the "manage attachments" button that appears in the "additional options" section when you are posting a message. You can easily upload pictures to the site using this option. If you want to host images on this site, then link to them from your message, just private message me and I'd be happy to help you out.
Just one last thing - your email address is at risk of getting spammed if you leave it public here. Spam spiders crawl this site (and every other) several times a day harvesting email addresses. I'd suggest you request people private message you, or email you via your membership details (only registered users can see this). It just might same you getting spammed :) .

Please do post up some pictures in the "making biodiesel" section. I'm sure there's many that would love to see them.

Cheers,

hdj80
8th January 2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks Robert, I have edited my last post and added some photo's as you suggested to the Making Bio Diesel
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/showthread.php?p=831#post831

jhen
6th March 2006, 12:42 PM
Hi,

I'm in the Belconnen area, and would like to see biodiesel available locally. I filled up with B100 a couple of times when visiting Adelaide and had no problems (vehicle has done 220,000 km on conventional Diesel).

I'm looking for an excuse to drive to Sydney to fill up with B100.

This is my first post here, so I hope it goes somewhere sensible :)

John

hdj80
17th March 2006, 09:57 AM
Welcome John,

If you come down tuggeranong way sometime you might like to visit and see some Bio.

Peter

Bio Popo
21st March 2006, 03:01 PM
Hello,
I am planning on coming to Canberra soon to pick up my new diesel car!! The plan all along has been to drive it on biodiesel, but have not made any yet. I will be coming from melbourne and then driving back, does anyone in canberra have any bio that I could purchase from them? Thanks!

hdj80
31st March 2006, 07:28 PM
Sorry there are no outlets in Canberra

75SeriesTroopy
3rd May 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Peter,

I'm in Canberra and very keen to break away from the clutches of oil companies..

I'd be VERY keen to buy you a bottle of red wine and talk through your setup etc.

Matt

Peda
4th May 2006, 10:35 AM
Matt, which Peter do you mean? there are a few of us here. I will claim the red wine but I am in Brisbane. Might be better to PM directly to who you want to contact and with the info you need.
Regards
Peter

75SeriesTroopy
4th May 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks Peda, was responding to the creator of the thread who's based in Canberra :)

Will try your suggestion of a PM, otherwise will just drive around Canberra sniffing to see if I can spot the car :D

jack
12th June 2006, 05:21 PM
Just to confuse you all, I am another Peter, joining from the ACT. To make it easier, I will stick to my screen name (Jack) since I own a Jackaroo...

Can't wait to get someone here selling BioD. I purchase at the moment from Nowra, (where I work). But am now having cold start probs, I am trying to determine if it is the BioD or something else...

Cheers

steamer
26th June 2006, 03:45 PM
My first post to this forum..... I'm also in Canberra and I'm also called Peter....just launching construction of my biodiesel plant after lots of stuffing around (sigh). Hope to have it all going by the end of July.

Cheers.

hdj80
26th June 2006, 09:15 PM
I have a Shed Day at my place on the 16th... If you like email me off line and I can give you more details.

FXST01
25th July 2006, 07:23 PM
Hello all,

Just a quickie intro, i'm Eddie (not a Peter), currently in the Army at Canberra, living at Wanniassa. Don't anything here that runs on diesel but an imterested to learn the ins and outs of biodiesel for when i move back home down near Geelong VIC in the distant future.

cheers,

darren leonadas
26th July 2006, 11:53 AM
Hey hdj80, how did your shed day go??
How many of you guys makin' it happen in Canberra??. One day i'm gonna visit my old high school, Belconnen, and Hawker college, and the house i grew up in the 70's in Scullin. And it would be great to pick up some home brew fuel, and meet with the ACT crew. while drivin' through.:cool:
Cheers guys Darren.:)

hdj80
26th July 2006, 08:18 PM
Hey hdj80, how did your shed day go??
How many of you guys makin' it happen in Canberra??. One day i'm gonna visit my old high school, Belconnen, and Hawker college, and the house i grew up in the 70's in Scullin. And it would be great to pick up some home brew fuel, and meet with the ACT crew. while drivin' through.:cool:
Cheers guys Darren.:)

Darren,

A little disappionting no Biodieselers turned up had the usual Landcruiser guy's come around.
I replaced the timing belt as well as my fan belts on my 91 HDJ80 Turbo BioDiesel Cruiser and we put in a Shower on a Petril LC. Other than that no biodiesel dudes.
I have to blame myself as I have only discovered people (including yourself) have being sending me private messages and I have onlt tonight read them for the first time.... Sorry Guy's.....

As far as numbers in Canberra there are a few that want to and I am yet to meet anyone that is still making bio... I know of one bloke that was but has stopped as his $2 mixer failed and he never fixed it. don't figure????

Robert
26th July 2006, 11:53 PM
Hey, you might have had some more biodiesel dudes turn up if we'd've known a little more about it. If you want to do this sort of thing again, just let me know and I'll make sure it goes in the calendar as an event (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/calendar.php) (you can also post it there yourself if you want). Maybe also a new thread with full details of it etc. Anyway, please do try again and let me know and I'll help you to get the word out.
Private messages are great, the only problem with them is a lot of useful info gets transmitted that not everyone can benefit from.;)

darren leonadas
27th July 2006, 10:19 AM
I drove past a fuel station yesterday and noticed a price tag of $1.51!!!!!!!!!!!
I hadn't notived the price for so long as i dont need to. HDJ80 they will come eventually.

FXST01
28th July 2006, 08:54 AM
HDJ80,

If i was aware of this site earlier, i would have turned up for a stickypeek.

cheers for now

mrnamjama
28th January 2008, 08:14 PM
I have to blame myself as I have only discovered people (including yourself) have being sending me private messages and I have onlt tonight read them for the first time.... Sorry Guy's.....

Hey, take note - you've got another private message now! :)

Maelinar
15th February 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi all, also in Canberra, new to the forums, and you wouldn't believe it if it weren't true, my name is also Peter.

No Biodiesel means of travel yet, but through my work am interested in the topic.

Tony From West Oz
15th February 2008, 09:08 PM
Maelinar,
Welcome to the Forum. There is plenty of information here and when you have an informed question, please feel free to ask. We appreciate those who have done some research on their question.
Regards.
Tony

hdj80
16th February 2008, 06:36 AM
Hi all, also in Canberra, new to the forums, and you wouldn't believe it if it weren't true, my name is also Peter.

No Biodiesel means of travel yet, but through my work am interested in the topic.

Peter, You better be the SA Peter from my work, otherwise there is another one that wants to start making bio... :D

Peter

Maelinar
16th February 2008, 08:30 PM
Peter, You better be the SA Peter from my work, otherwise there is another one that wants to start making bio... :D

Peter

No, I'm another one, but we've met on the RiotACT.

maverick_sr71
17th February 2008, 10:39 AM
There's more Peters here than you can poke a stick at in one day.

Peter.

Kieran
12th March 2008, 04:45 PM
G'day Peter and co,
Just ordered a i30 CRDi to go with 2002 Diesel Prado, live 10 mins south of Tuggeranong and have sister in law who owns a takeaway and interested in biodiesel to minimise running costs but not very handy with such things!

Kieran

maverick_sr71
13th March 2008, 08:52 PM
What help are you asking for Kieran?

Tony From West Oz
13th March 2008, 11:57 PM
Kieran,
Welcome to the Forum.
Please have a look around to see if your questions have already been answered.
If you can't find the answers you seek, you will have a greater understanding of the questions you need to ask, and perhaps you may even have some issues which will teach us more on these subjects.

Tony

Maelinar
14th March 2008, 10:24 AM
Perhaps on the subject of free WCO he might be a very valuable subject matter expert :p

I think he was just saying hi...

Kieran AP by any chance ?

Kieran
17th March 2008, 08:37 PM
General apology to all,

I was 'just passing through' when I read the first page of the Intro, not realising there were other pages! Hence my somewhat limited comment.

So in no particular order, Peter from Tuggeranong (hdj80) I am keen to have a chat as I am interested in BioD for a number of reasons and have access to some of the raw materials...especially the vegetable oil.

Peter from Riot ACT, yep thats me! I followed your RA link to find the page...

Everyone else, thanks for responding etc but I am keener to discuss things locally than nationally :).

Also as an update, was looking at i30 but put off by 3 month+ waiting list. Now looking at Mazda 3 Dieso. Has anyone had any experince with them?

cheers, Kieran

physh
19th March 2008, 01:31 PM
Another Canberra person here, but my name isn't Peter!

I have a diesel Landcruiser.

It would be great to find a source of oil in Canberra somewhere.
I want to learn and make my own biodiesel - but it seems that I'm not alone in finding the equipment, supplies, and oil incredibly difficult to obtain!

Anyway, hello!

Cheers,
Nick
Canberra

maverick_sr71
19th March 2008, 08:32 PM
What, not a Peter........hericy.

Welcome Physh. The hardest thing is getting a good, reliable oil supply. Only once you've established that should you consider proceding with building a processor.

hdj80
20th March 2008, 05:24 PM
Hi Guy's

Yes as Mav said get that supply... and hold on to it...

Another thing is and to me one of the most important aspects of this whole idea of making your own fuel and that is if you don't want a hobby forget it.

Honestly if I was doing this to save at the bowser I'd be off and find that job that pays a extra $100.00 a month, because believe me it would be easier on yourself and family... making bio just doesn't happen all by itself there is a lot of cost in a good setup, time in collecting wvo disposing of containers, production time varies but can mean a few hours away from the family when you normally would be enjoying their company, Carshed (Garage) space, chemicals and potential mess. None of which any family man should take for granted. But as I said earlier for a $100.00 :confused: I'd think twice about it as really if your heart isn't into it you will get sick of it rather quickly..

But having said all that. I love making bio and have been for a good couple of years with great success, I never thought I'd have a hobby but now I do :D I have also meet some awesome people and learnt alot on the way...

By the way (we aren't at this stage yet) If you happen accross a potential supplier that already has a guy picking up don't cut his grass, that's un Australian. :D I know that goes without saying... We who have been at this for a while now tend to help each other out when needed...