Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of tallow.

Hi Folks,

I have read through all the posts and didn't find specific answer so decided to ask.

All the Aussie litriture and economic analysis on tallow use for biodiesel says that the market rate is about $250-600 per tons for tallow. Lots of users of this forum seem to be getting unlimited tallow for free, one uses says they pay $250/ton.

So could some one please give me an idea of who exactly to aproach regarding this cheaper/free tallow? I am suppried its free as there seems to be an export market for it?

Also what could the possible differences be between tallow qualities?

Thank for any advice/help given.

Regards,

Martin

Re: Source of tallow.

Hi Martin,

I'm moving this thread out of the local Melbourne section and into the "Making Biodiesel" section, where it may get some more attention.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Many people use tallow (Animal Fat) in their fryers

The free tallow is behind the shop where most people put their waste fryer oil.
      If it comes in a bucket with a wide clip on top it is probably tallow or palm oil.
      Palm oil is usually a smaller bucket and contains 20 litres.
      Tallow is a taller bucket and contains 20 kg, about 22.5 litres.

Tilly

Comment

Hi
        The tallow that I source comes form a meat works where they refine it for sale. There are two grades the good stuff called spec grade that contains less that 2% FFA'S cheap stuff that titrates below the speck grade and the quailty can vary greatly !
        The spec grade sells for $440 per ton.
        The second grade sells for $155 per ton. Be warned the last drum that I got of this stuff tritrated ad 27gms of caustic per liter. Makes great soap !!.
        Im going for the spec grade next time.
        If you source tallow from a meat works ask for the FFA content first before you buy.

Cheers
        Sandman.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
          Hi
          The tallow that I source comes form a meat works where they refine it for sale. There are two grades the good stuff called spec grade that contains less that 2% FFA'S cheap stuff that titrates below the speck grade and the quailty can vary greatly !
          The spec grade sells for $440 per ton.
          The second grade sells for $155 per ton. Be warned the last drum that I got of this stuff tritrated ad 27gms of caustic per liter. Makes great soap !!.
          Im going for the spec grade next time.
          If you source tallow from a meat works ask for the FFA content first before you buy.

Cheers
          Sandman.

How many drums would a ton be? [Just out of interest]

Comment

Hello Kamel

If you figure the sg of tallow at about 0.9 and the contents of a 200 litre drum about 200 litres, that would be about 180kg of tallow per drum.

Tilly

Comment

Don't forget to add about 10kg for the drum. (you can weigh yours to get exact weight)
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
              X