Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes done and a few more waiting.

Just an update.

I've finished most of the upgrades now, but have a few still left to go.

Done:
    • Upgraded the main forum software to the latest available version.
    • Updated spell checker functions and enhanced dictionary (with some minor problems remaining).
    • Added software to rewrite URLS and enhance searchability.
    • Added Google Map plug-in. Also recently added some more categories to list producers and chemical suppliers.
    • Added some minor spam preventing plug-ins.
    • Restructured the forums to try to make them more useable and less convoluted.
    • Added automatic news feeds to post messages every time biodiesel news gets announced from an external site.
    • Loads of other little bits and pieces not worth mentioning.

Still to do:
    • Properly fix the spell checker.
    • Add a "front panel" to the site which can provide easy links and navigation in an effort to make it easier for newcomers to find information and not get lost in pages of discussion.
    • Maybe upgrade the style and graphics a little to suit the above point.
    • Add some more smilies
    • Maybe appoint some more moderators and get a policy together for what a moderator should do.
    • Some sort of a fleet section (based on Cameron's request).
    In the works at the moment is the "front panel", which can be previewed here.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Changes done and a few more waiting.

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    In the works at the moment is the "front panel", which can be previewed here.
    Looking good!
    G

Comment

OK.
      I've finally found a fix for the spell checker, which will make it appear in a window in front, rather than behind when you click the button.

Having said that, there is also an inbuilt spell checker included in the new version of Firefox, which will make a web based spell checker redundant. (It's pretty cool, it underlines misspelled words as you type, as you would expect). However, I notice from my web stats that about 73% of you are still using Microsoft Internet Explorer. Shame on you. Firefox is tiny (install is only 5.6Mb, compared to 77.5Mb for IE 6 or 87 for IE 7. ) It also works better, faster, more securely and has loads of really useful features that Microsoft are only now starting to copy. If you are not already using it, then you should get on and do it. The learning curve is very small and most of you will find almost no difference from IE. The more people who use Firefox (or other standards compliant browsers), the easier it is for the community of web developers to make web pages that work. MS constantly implement their own versions of non-standard, non compliant code that makes life hell for anyone who does not use Microsoft everything. So, I'll say it just one more time - use Firefox and make the web a better place for everyone.

You can even download an English-AU dictionary from within the spell checker.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

You can even download an English-AU dictionary from within the spell checker.
        Is that the one that corrects your Strine, so when you say "put some chicken on the barbecue please dear" it changes it to "chuck another chook on the barbie, mate. No wukkas"??
        Sean

Comment

Hi Robert
          It sure looks good Keep at it, it is already very useful and this speller thing you fixed is great
          Cheers
          Chris
          Never give up :)

Comment

As you command (at least form this computer)

Firefox that is, I don't want to make you check the logs for my login at this particular time.

Matt
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

I've not gone down to individual logins yet
              That's OK that some of you have not yet discovered Firefox yet. I'll try and stop putting my personal IT preferences onto everyone else. After all, about 10% of you use Telstra and about 21% of you are still on dial up!
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

I would have to say Dialup is forgivable, telstra is well some people just don't know better but using IE that is a real unforgivable thing. Really Really Bad
                Dave

Comment

Robert ,

Like the changes - well done.

By the way I do not use Telstra anymore ,now on aerial IP wow. Muuuuch better, and with VIOP have no Telstra Rentals to pay neither.

Dillyman

Comment

Please don't stop giving out your IT expertise as a lot of us won't know of the pros and cons unless some one like you makes us aware what is going on hence we stick with what we know and are back in the dark ages so I used your spell checker keep up the exelent work and thanks

I've not gone down to individual logins yet
                    That's OK that some of you have not yet discovered Firefox yet. I'll try and stop putting my personal IT preferences onto everyone else. After all, about 10% of you use Telstra and about 21% of you are still on dial up!

Comment

Working...
                    X