3 layers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 layers

I just tried koh for the first time. I used oil from kfc and it had a low titration about 1.4. I also tried to use a device to mix my catalyst. I look bad now that I am thinking about it you should only try one new thing at a time. Well any way I have 3 layers in tank the tope one smells like methanol the middle is cloudy and the bottom looks to be glycerin or dark BD. Is there any way to recover this it is about 40 gallons?

Re: 3 layers

Originally posted by slboson View Post
    I just tried koh for the first time. I used oil from kfc and it had a low titration about 1.4. I also tried to use a device to mix my catalyst. I look bad now that I am thinking about it you should only try one new thing at a time. Well any way I have 3 layers in tank the tope one smells like methanol the middle is cloudy and the bottom looks to be glycerin or dark BD. Is there any way to recover this it is about 40 gallons?
    Keep it covered in the meantime to reduce methanol loss through evaporation.

What was the total amount of KOH you used, per litre of oil? I would expect that, for >90% purity, you should use 7.7g/l as the catalyst amount, + titration amount of 1.4 = 9.1 g/l.
    What was the Methanol %? I recommend that, for high conversion, 20 - 25% should be used.
    What was the mixing temperature? Each 10°C rise in reaction temperature halves the reaction time. At 50°C, I have read that the reaction takes less than 20 minutes.
    If you have followed these guidelines, try re-mixing it thoroughly for an hour or so at 50°C.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I use 20% methanol and 5 g/l koh I think your right I need more koh. but how do I add should I dissolve in methanol the add or just add the flake and it will dissolve while mixing

Comment

You definitely didn't use enough KOH. It requires more than NaOH as Tony says, but it's nicer to work with.

I would definitely mix it with methanol first. I don't think it will work if you try to add it directly to the half reacted WVO. If you are trying to salvage the same batch it might be a good idea to drain off as much glycerin as you can, mix the rest all up again, do another titration then another full reaction with 22% methanol and 7.7g/l KOH + titration.
        Sean

Comment

thanks for all the help i recovered all 40gallons thanks agian

Comment

Working...
          X