Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coloxyl to create an aqueous solution

Hi there fellow biodiesel makers,

I was having a chat with a pharmacist the other night about some of the little issues faced when making biodiesel, particularly regarding what I guess is the "end point" of the titration - when the turmeric goes red and stays red. I've found that if I keep swirling my titration for long enough, enough FFAs come out of the oil and sends the Turmeric/Metho solution back towards yellow.

Can somebody please clarify whether this is on the right track for me?

As I get closer to reaching the end point of the reaction, it would seem that it takes lesser amounts of KOH or NaOH to reach the end point of the titration.

The pharmacist suggested using coloxyl (a laxative) as an emulsifier and I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the following steps to help with titration accuracy:

A) Take quantity of turmeric/metho solution
    B) Put in some Coloxyl
    C) Use some 0.1% KOH solution to return this concoction towards pH 7
    D) Put in 1mL of WVO
    E) Titrate as per normal

Would those of you with enough foresight in chemistry be able to tell me whether this is feasible? Would Coloxyl help release FFAs from the WVO?

Best regards, Steve.
    RASTEVE
    Donating Member
    Last edited by RASTEVE; 10 October 2006, 06:04 PM.

Re: Coloxyl to create an aqueous solution

Hello rasteve

It is caused by the absorbtion of carbon dioxide from the air. CO2 is acidic.

This is the explanation Neutral posted on the infopop Forum

"There are two reasons why the colour disappears when titrating and it is important to distinguish between them. When the colour first appears it will disappear quickly when stirred or swirled. This is because the solution has only penetrated part of the mix. As it gets better distributed the colour goes.
    Only when the colour remains after the solution has been fully distributed has the titration been achieved. Then the colour slowly disappears for the reason stated above, CO2 absorbtion.
    How fast it does this depends on several things, one of which is whether the flask is wide open or tapered. Another is whether you breath on it. The industrial process is usually done with 5 to 10g oil in 50ml alcohol or more, in a conical flask, and 30 seconds of colour while stirring or swirling is specified. Biodieselers usually use only 1g oil in 10ml alcohol in an open jar and 20 seconds of colour is enough."

Comment

I will refrain from delivering any laxative humour
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony, you know you can!!

Thanks for your input guys. It looks like a conical flask will be the way to go, with a thumb on the opening. I thought I was finished with ebay!?!?

Cheers, Steve.

Comment

Working...
        X