woollies shopping bags for filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woollies shopping bags for filters

i have been using the woollies shopping bags as a filter for my oil before it goes to the storage tank, does anyone know what microns that would be close to, or a link will help me.
    cheers stuart
    just keep it simple

Re: woollies shopping bags for filters

Originally posted by jkis View Post
    i have been using the woollies shopping bags as a filter for my oil before it goes to the storage tank, does anyone know what microns that would be close to, or a link will help me.
    cheers stuart
    Nope no idea - if i had to guess - somewhere around 100 microns - definitely not enough for normal use - If you let a layer of fat build up then they are much more effective.

You are better off using the big bunnings green bags - they are tougher and less likely to tear on the seams.

I cold filter through the bunnings bags and then let settle for a couple of weeks, then slowly upflow and from their into a 5 micron then 1 micron filter bag - i still find lots of stuff gets into the 5 micron over the space of a season (then again i have not changed that 5 micron for over a year now)

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

thank you craig, will look at the bunnings bags, what type of filter are you using for the 5 and 1 micron.
      cheers stuart
      just keep it simple

Comment

Originally posted by jkis View Post
        thank you craig, will look at the bunnings bags, what type of filter are you using for the 5 and 1 micron.
        cheers stuart
        Stuart - no worries.

I use the standard bag/sock filters for my 1 and 5 micron filtering.

Tony and a couple of other people on this forum sell them for around $12/bag and they last forever.

The easiest way to use them is to drill (using a holesaw) a hole in an 18mm piece of ply and insert them that way (you can fit 3 or 4 ontop of a 44 that way) - as long as you have it somewhere out of the weather you are right, the alternative (which is what i do) is to get a 150mm diameter sewer pipe and large stainless hose clamps and clamp them to this - then drill a hole in the end and put a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 threaded pipe in there - this way the bags can not overflow and can have a small positive pressure on them ( i live on a hill, so gravity does all the work for me)

Craig
        Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
        210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
        Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

thank you craig, will contact tony soon.
          cheers stuart
          just keep it simple

Comment

Working...
          X