Centrifugal Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centrifugal Filter

Anyone using a cetrafuge to pre filter their WVO before processing. Has it beeen a success ? Stan

Re: Centrifugal Filter

The Australian importer of the Dieselcraft "Cyclone" Series Oil Centrifuges responded to my query on the local cost:

The unit you will need is the OC-20. You can have it with or without the mounting bracket but to be frank it is difficult to mount without. Price for the Centrifuge is Aus $350+GST+freight(Don't know where you are) With mount AUS400+GST+freight.

George

Comment

I have recently taken a call from a rep for Western Diesel Systems, agents for Federal Mogul centrifuge oil cleaners.

These are designed for removing the soot and other particles from diesel engine oil. Soot is the greatest wear causing contaminant in diesel lube oil.
      Basically, a bypass is provided for engine oil from the oil pump, to the cetntriguge, where it fills the rotating element and exits the rotating element thru 2 jets, which spin the centrifuge, causing the heavier particles to collect on the walls of the spinning element. The oil is then allowed to exit the centrifuge housing and fall back to the engine sump. There should not be any accumulation of the cleaned oil at the outlet, otherwise the centrifuge will not operate.
      The accumulation of contaminants should be cleaned out at every service.

This is very effective for engine oil, where the solid contaminants can be allowed to remain in the centrifuge after the engine is shut down.

In the case of fuel, where water may be present, this system will not be able to contain the water and other contaminants once the flow stops, and it will drain to the outlet.
      It could be adapted to have a valve on the outlet to allow the contaminant liquids to drain from the housing, when the fuel flow stops, into a separate container but this may not be practical for a mobile filtration system. It would definitely not be suited to an inline filter. It may be useful to use as a bypass fuel filter, where an additional fuel pump is provided.
      The smallest one caters for oil flows of 3 - 4.7 litres per minute.
      I will scan the cutaway drawing of it and post it into my photobucket folder soon. Here it is now:

Tony
      Tony From West Oz
      Vice Chairperson of WARFA
      Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 18 October 2006, 02:56 AM. Reason: added scanned document link
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks George & Tony
        Great feedback .. Stan

Comment

I like the low tech aproach to things, much cheaper too.
          My centifugal filtre is an old twin tub washing machine-- cost $0.00.
          put into the spinner, (fits perfectly) an old pair of your girls stockings (ask her first-OH&S recomendation) with one leg inside the other and the yop cut off-- cost = $0.00
          This will cetrifugaly filtre your oil to about 5 microns.
          be sure to bypass the bottom pump and just gravity feed out the result.
          cost = a bit of change spent on some replacement vynal clear pipe from bunnings.

Comment

Does any Body has a photos Showing the process ????

jibaro_3000@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
            X