• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisbane freight company starting to produce and use biodiesel

thanks to all who responded.
    scttmcknnn
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by scttmcknnn; 7 November 2016, 12:09 PM.

Re: Brisbane freight company starting to produce and use biodiesel

Scott,
    Welcome to the forum.
    'Journey to Forever' site is somewhat dated (written >25 years ago) and is a bit light on for catalyst in it's processing.
    With a 200L processor, you will be working overtime to make 1500L per week. Perhaps if you try to obtain a 1200 - 1500L processing tank you will be able to make one batch per week. You will then have time to 'polish' the biodiesel to remove residual byproduct. I have a 300L stainless steel tank (Edwards Solar Hot Water tank) which allows me plenty of room to make a 200L batch. I have taken to washing my biodiesel and I allow the washed biodiesel to 'air dry' in the open on a sunny day, or in Winter, using a heating element and thermostat set to 25°C..

I am sure that some of our SEQ members will be on here soon.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Scott,

As Tony said, a 200l processor won't be anywhere near big enough to make the fuel you require. I make 1000ltr batches and they usually take just over a week to be processed, including washing and drying/polishing.

The even more challenging part will be finding oil in that quantity per week not to mention collecting it. if you need 1500l / wk in fuel you have to collect 2000l in oil to allow for bad oil and waste product. 2000l makes 100 drums to pick up every week. As far as I know oil is getting a bit hard to come by in SE Queensland and in northern NSW where I live.

My system is set up in a shipping container with a few automatic options, however I would not happily walk away while it is doing the heating or the mixing just to be save if something does go wrong. It doesn't mean I sit next to it and wait, but at least I am at home. If you would do it at the depot, you would need to be employed to pick up oil, process it and have someone there all the time who knows how the processor works, should that person be on holidays or sick, the whole thing stops.
      If you are making a system that is idiot proof, you'll fork out big bugs.
      The best thing about us little guys is that we have made the system ourselves and we generally treat it well as we rely on it. If you get another person operating it who is not as passioned about it, things can go south pretty quick. Especially if you are running expensive trucks and gear which you are relying on to make the money.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you have to keep these things in mind, I am happy to show you my set up if you don't mind to travel.
      1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Hi Scott,

Originally posted by scttmcknnn
        May issues arise when using an open / unsealed processor, compared to one which is sealed? For example, could using a sealed processor reduce methanol evaporation?
        Kind regards, Scott.
        Do not use a sealed processor.
        You do not want pressure building up in the reactor.
        There should always be a wide open vent running to a safe area.
        You do want a closed top on the reactor.

Typically people will heat the oil to 50- 60C, then turn the heater off, add the methanol and process.
        As long as the processor is closed and the vent pipe initially runs in an upwards direction for a at least few centimeters there will be virtually no loss of methanol due to evaporation.

It is usually not necessary to run the heater in the processor once the oil is up to temperature
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 26 October 2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Originally posted by scttmcknnn
          Thank you so much, this answers a few questions. I'd done the Dr Pepper technique with a 4 litre batch and was wondering if the sealed process could be upscaled. Much obliged.
          Oh yes, the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend) can indeed be upsized.
          In that situation there is no concern about screwing the cap down tight on container.

I invite you to watch this three part Video where Craigggy from NZ shows how to do that very thing.

tillyfromparadise
          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 26 October 2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Part 2

Comment

Part 3

Comment

Working...
              X