Bio Diesel confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio Diesel confusion

I recently had a long run of over 1000k's round trip. I thought this would be a good opportunity for my first foray into the use of bio diesel and see how it would go in my 92 TD 80 LC.

I was pretty chuffed because the consumption worked out to be 10.6 L/100k on the outward leg, and on the return I had to top up with normal diesel and was towing a trailer so it jumped up to 12.8 L/100k. Quite acceptable I thought.

There appeared to be less smoke, the motor was a little quieter and performance was about the same. The bio I was using is the Gull brand blend in whatever percentage blend that is.

Anyway I ran the next tank down to empty before filling both my tanks again with Bio ready to reap the benefits of cleaner air and slightly less cost. Anyway here is where it got confusing for me. Straight after filling this time with Bio diesel, I noticed a stronger smell of "fish and chips" and at times it seemed to be billowing clouds of white smoke, especially at idle. However when I filled up again on standard diesel, the smokey exhaust returned to virtually nothing again.

Long story short, after many trials and tests and now running the small tank on bio and the other on standard diesel and toggling between, it is definitely billowing white smoke whenever I switch to the bio and when I change back it clears up.

I thought it was meant to be the other way round?? Has anyone experienced this, or perhaps offer some advice?

Peter

Re: Bio Diesel confusion

Originally posted by Techo2oz View Post
    snip
    I was pretty chuffed because the consumption worked out to be 10.6 L/100k on the outward leg, and on the return I had to top up with normal diesel and was towing a trailer so it jumped up to 12.8 L/100k. Quite acceptable I thought.

There appeared to be less smoke, the motor was a little quieter and performance was about the same. The bio I was using is the Gull brand blend in whatever percentage blend that is.

Anyway I ran the next tank down to empty before filling both my tanks again with Bio ready to reap the benefits of cleaner air and slightly less cost. Anyway here is where it got confusing for me. Straight after filling this time with Bio diesel, I noticed a stronger smell of "fish and chips" and at times it seemed to be billowing clouds of white smoke, especially at idle. However when I filled up again on standard diesel, the smokey exhaust returned to virtually nothing again.

Long story short, after many trials and tests and now running the small tank on bio and the other on standard diesel and toggling between, it is definitely billowing white smoke whenever I switch to the bio and when I change back it clears up.
    snip
    Peter
    Peter,

Gull ???? My personal experience with Gull Dino Diesel in my 91 TD LC was bloody dreadful to say the least, the 1HD-T ran like a "Haunted Shithouse" never went back so hopefully their Biodiesel is a little better, mind you that was 6 years ago and in Canberra.

B100 in a 1HD-T will produce black smoke at start-up (nothing like Dino probably half that) and again smokes when the boot is driven home, we are talking about an 1HD-T and they are renown as a bit of a smoker. Other than that I have never seen the white smoke you talk about? White smoke usually indicates fuel starvation or timing?

Quieter Wait till you try B100, near silent next to another 1HD-T you'd think someone stole your diesel and chucked in a petril . If you intend to continue using BD you will find a massive improvement in low down touque and power once you install a Walbro Pusher Pump. In fact you should just go ahead and do that anyway, for a $200 upgrade you'll be surprised just how she'll go after that. but there will still be a smaller improvement using B100 without the pump. You'll notice it once in low range on the hills.

Mind you the 10l/100km is pretty impressive, I have never gotten close to that, Dino Diesel 12.5l/100 and Bio Diesel 14l/100km and that is unladen, but around town, I do however tend to drive with the right boot as I am not terribly worried about the cost of the fuel I am using and basically find myself wanting to use it up just to make some more.
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Comment

Working...
    X