Musso convertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musso convertion

hi all and well done on an excellent forum.

i am looking to convert 2005 musso to SVO duel tank and have read nearly all the posts on here and searched through the massess of sites throughout the net to try and make my conversion go as smoothly as possible, but as its my first time i still have a lot of questions i need to clear in my head.

ok here goes
    i understand duel tanks means starting in bio then when warm switching to svo

i also get switching back a while before turnig engine off

i read posts with concerns over injection systems, i believe the musso is Bosch inline injection pump, but if someone could confirm that?

parts i need to get are

obviously a 2nd tank, this will probably be smaller and depending where the fuel pump is will end up being for bio leaving original tank for vegoil.

6-port Pollak Fuel Director 'ebay item number 190049565746'

heat exchanger - looking at this 'ebay item number 170046946396' is that ok?

fuel pump ? open to suggestions? ebay 260051359152

fuel lines

wires and a few switches

what is the best set up? in which order?
    tank - pump - heater - filter - pollak?

once again thanks for all the help so far.....

Re: Musso convertion

Hi,

Congratulations for your decision to convert your car.

I see you are going to use an electrical oil heater ebay item number 170046946396. I am using a coolant heat exchanger(s) in my conversion. I do not know why you are going electrical when coolant works fine? but it is your choice of course. I have also used the original fuel pump to pump both fuels and it is a bosch but yours maybe different to what comes in Mercedes Benz but if it is the same then you should be right with one pump. Pollak valve on e-bay is where I bought two units and had no worries so far. Clark Rubber is the best place to buy all your fuel lines (cheaper than any where else). Wiring and switch you can get from JayCar. Fuel tank you can use marine fuel tank (23 ltr) from Kmart car's section. As far as the setup and order... I think it will depend on what you going to end up buying. Are you going to use another fuel filter or you are going to get both fuel lines to share the original fuel filter? One of the things I learnt from Tony that you are better off with a larg inner diameter fuel hoses because it will allow for a less resistance to flow, you can buy hose barbs to match your system.

Good clear photos of your engine bay will help us all to help you to start with and I would not mind giving you a hand if you live around Sydney.

Good luck

Fitian
    Fitian
    Was here
    Last edited by Fitian; 13 November 2006, 05:50 PM.
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

thanks for the offer but im on the gold coast.
      i would prefer to heat the oil with the coolant but unable to source any good info on where to get one? and not sure on fittings and such to make my own.

if i could use the one pump then that would be great, ill have to look closer into that.

and i was going to run it through a separate filter.

ill post some pics tomorrow if thats ok and thanks for your help.

so does it go tank - heater - filter - pollak?

Comment

For a coolant heater try ebay number 160038640666.
        There is a thread of supplies, Tony has put the e-mail adress for a guy at narva who has pollack valves.
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by sx200 View Post
          thanks for the offer but im on the gold coast.
          i would prefer to heat the oil with the coolant but unable to source any good info on where to get one? and not sure on fittings and such to make my own. if i could use the one pump then that would be great, ill have to look closer into that. and i was going to run it through a separate filter.
          ill post some pics tomorrow if thats ok and thanks for your help.
          so does it go tank - heater - filter - pollak?
          You are welcome mate, I was only trying to give back some of what was given to me.

If you prefer coolant heat exchanger then you first need to make sure your car has got the right space for it. Contact Tony and he'll be able to get you one.

The pump you can take a photo of it and many here will be able to tell if it is good enough or not. I run my vegy oil through a separate filter called CAV filter (many of on e-bay) Also look at the thread Used Cooking Oil Conversion supplies.

My set up is. Marine tank - HE 1 - CAV filter - Valve - HE2 - lift pump - engine.

Cheers,

Fitian
          Fitian
          <><

Comment

I think that they have said it all.
            Oh, Just remembered another one. If you consider getting a GP fuel heater which has coolant heating in it too, remember that the coolant will tend to keep the fuel cool despite the GP trying to heat it up. It would be better, if you wish to use GP fuel heaters, to have a single function unit, not combine coolant and GP heating.
            It is advisable to have a fuel filter AFTER any GP heater in case fuel charring occurs, leading to solid contaminants entering the IP.

Tony
            ps, for conversion diagrams, have a look at This thread on the Infopop forum
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

thanks again for all the help i took a few pics today just have to get em on here now lol?

have u still got any heat exchanges tony? if so let me know how to pay and ill order 1 off you and if you got pollak valve too?

might look at local wrecker yard for a cpl of filters, theres a bigish truck wreckers not far.

have a large space under the bonnet.On the passenger side, so i might try and get someone to fabricate a tank to fit into the hole?

post pics later (if i can get mi daughter to show me how lol???)

first car i ever paid for brand new so mrs isnt too happy about conversion so id better make it look right and perform or i'll have to put up with 5 years of "i told u not to mess"

Comment

Originally posted by sx200 View Post
                first car i ever paid for brand new so mrs isnt too happy about conversion so id better make it look right and perform or i'll have to put up with 5 years of "i told u not to mess"
                I can not talk your wife into the conversion of the car but I personally would like your wife to know that it is cheaper and better for the enviroment in addintion I'd like her to know that I took my wife out for dinners more often than before the convertion of our car.

Why spend money on fuel when you can spend it on someone you love?

Happy days

Fitian
                Fitian
                <><

Comment

heres a few pics. showing lift pump asnd space in engine bay where i intend to put new diesel tank.

Comment

these photos are too small in size 1'' X 1.5 '' ! can you post a larger size please?

Cheers,

Fitian
                    Fitian
                    <><

Comment

Fintan, I am not sure if sx200 has converted a car before, he may have even needed to read the owners manual to work out how to open the bonnet, but something I have have tried and failed at that he has achieved after only a few posts is how to post a picture, and for that he has skills that I dont. (and I am sure he didnt need the owners manual)

So how do you post a bigger picture? I have put pictures on photobucket, but cant seem to get them to display on a thread.
                      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Chris I'm not real familliar with photo bucket as I have a number of domains with gigabytes of space to host my pictures off but I would suggest you check if photo bucket does have like a thumbnail index, you are linking the pictures to the full size version and not the thumbnail in the index.

I could be way off here as I'm not familiar with photobucket but could be a possile cause of your problems. If you can't make photobucket work, I'll be happy to host the pics for you if you want to email them to me.

Comment

David thaks for the offer. As I then could get the photos on here, but would have to admit defeat, it was a strong motivator. I did not use photobucket, but resized in photosuite and uploaded from there.

Anyway here is a picture of what happens of you ask for oil, and find the owner has stockpiled it. (there was another trailerload)

And getting this thread back on topic, it looks like the bosh inline pump, so the musso should be a great SVO conversion.

Comment

"Fintan, I am not sure if sx200 has converted a car before, he may have even needed to read the owners manual to work out how to open the bonnet, but something I have have tried and failed at that he has achieved after only a few posts is how to post a picture, and for that he has skills that I dont. (and I am sure he didnt need the owners manual)

mmm not sure how to take that capt?

no i have not converted a car before

owners manual to open the bonnet? i was 17 when a pulled out stripped and rebuilt my first motor ford cortina mark 2. am currently insalling new rings into my briggs 12.5hp ride on, so on and off 23 years of messing with motors in my spare time?

i worked as a site manager before retiring at 40 and now trade the forex market but still enjoy pulling my bobcat apart and mower and vitara. thats when im not feeding the horses, ducks, chucks, dogs and cats (bit of an animal lover.)

thats my first time at posting on this site after reding for quite a while, and yes they are too small but i deleted them from my cam so ill have to take a few more. getting the camera off my daughter is the hard part lol

MB300D81 thanks for all your help so far, i will post pics and if thats ok ask ur advice as i progress, waiting for all the parts now!!!

by the way i used to own a cpl of houses in eaglevale (minchenbury tce) and st andrews (galashiels) not far from u lol

tony thankyou money on its way monday ill email later

Captain Echidna pump is ok? saves me a bit of money thanks.

oh heres an early question 2 parts

water-

where on the cooling system is the best place to tap in?

and

to keep a good flow where to return it to the cooling system?

this seems to be an overlooked point in most threads but messing the coolant and causing a block or air lock could be a nightmare!

Comment

Hey my friend,

We are all here to help one another. We also love to joke around. I am sure Captain Echidna does not mean anything bad - Just a joke.

I am happy that you are going ahead with your conversion. We won't dely in answering your questions as we all like to help.

In regards to your coolant question ... I am not sure what your coolant system looks like but on my 300D I fitted a T at the hose going from the engine to the heater and returned the coolant to system with another T at the other side of the engine where the thermostate is. Check my 300 conversion thread to see how Tony has managed to teach me with his conversion. If you could provide a larg photo I am sure we will be able to point at the best places for that.

Stay well

Fitian
                              Fitian
                              <><

Comment

Working...
                              X