B5 at pumps yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5 at pumps yet?

I have noticed in the last tank or two that performance has increased slightly and engine noise has decreased a little bit. I haven't needed to add my normal additive at all.
    I have read on these forums that low-sulphur mineral diesel will have 5% biodiesel added to enhance lubricity.

Does anyone know if it has made it through to the service station pumps yet?

Biodiesel
    from animal fats....twenty two chickens to the litre.

Re: B5 at pumps yet?

I'd heard Greame Marshall, Director of Clean Fuels for the Department of Environment & Heritage say that they are planning on amending the diesel determination to allow blends of B5 or less to not require a label. I am not sure whether this has happened or not yet, but he said this at the BAA forum in Oct 2005.
    If it has now happened, then it is quite possible that you could get B5 without even knowing it, as was/is the case with ethanol (E10).

However, I reckon that now that biofuels seem to be becoming fashionable, they'd try to put a marketing spin on it first to make you think it was their idea to give you more value for your fuel spend, as Shell are currently with their "optimax extreme" brand which is E5. If Shell were to start blending in some of the good oil, they'd want to score some marketing points for it and tell you you're getting better lubricity and very minor to negligible environmental benefits (at that low ratio).

If anyone has any more factual or up to date info, please correct me.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

What brand of fuel are you buying, brobin? Access Energy is a Caltex agent/distributor in the Hunter and they have been buying premixed B5 from Rutherford.
      Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner
        What brand of fuel are you buying, brobin? Access Energy is a Caltex agent/distributor in the Hunter and they have been buying premixed B5 from Rutherford.
        The fuel was from the recently renovated Mobil service station at Ourimbah.
        Having gone through a good part of a tankful, the idling characteristics ie smoothness has improved too.
        Maybe I just got a good batch, but it has a lot of the good characteristics that I remember from my introduction to bd.
        I will do some more asking when I refuel as last time the console operator told me that they have just recently changed distributors.
        brobin
        Last edited by brobin; 21 February 2006, 11:18 AM.

Biodiesel
        from animal fats....twenty two chickens to the litre.

Comment

I have heard, form a very relaible source, that Shell will initiate selling B5 very soon. ML
          Morris Lyda
          [URL=http://www.thebiodieselstation.com]
          The Biodiesel Station

Comment

Working...
          X