Types of WCO to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of WCO to use

I note that Elsbett optimises their system for canola oil. Does it matter what sort of WCO you use, for example is SOY oil OK, or will it's different molecular structure gum up my engine?

Does anyone have any advice on this issue?

Angus

Re: Types of WCO to use

In the past month I have used cotton seed oil, canola and mixed blends vegy oil brand and also a mix of all. Never had any dramas.

Not sure what other users think.

Cheers,

Fitian
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

Hi All
      When is all said and done Soy oil is most likely the best to use since it is the only oil with all of it's fatty acids being the same
      All other oils as well as fats consist of mixtures of fatty acids all with differing qualities
      Not that it makes them any less suitable for fuel
      However for the reason stated it seems soy oil does provide one type of fatty acid where one can deal with a single fatty acid profile rather than a mixture therefore consistency
      Cheers
      Chris
      Never give up :)

Comment

My thoughts on why elsbett would optimise for canola is that it seems to be the oil of choice in europe. (I guess the europe is not big on tofu, which also comes from soy) They also reccomend new oil, not used.
        If you are going down the used route, then also how the oil is used will make a difference. The temperature of the fryer, what they cook in it, how old it is, can also alter the oil.

Getting back onto the question though, my thoughts would be, the difference between soy or canola for an engine will not make any noticable difference, short or long term.
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Hi All
          When is all said and done Soy oil is most likely the best to use since it is the only oil with all of it's fatty acids being the same
          All other oils as well as fats consist of mixtures of fatty acids all with differing qualities
          Not that it makes them any less suitable for fuel
          However for the reason stated it seems soy oil does provide one type of fatty acid where one can deal with a single fatty acid profile rather than a mixture therefore consistency
          Chris, From my research, ALL vegetable oils are a mixture of various fatty acids. Whether you are using Canola, Olive or Soy oil, ALL are mixtures of the various fatty acids.
          Here is a list of the fatty acid composition of some oils and fats:

This clearly shows that the fatty acid profile for SOY (Edit - was SOT ) and other oils is a mixture.

Captain Echidna, The reasons fro the EU standard being based on Canola is more to do with the Iodine Value (which related also the the linoleic and linolenic fatty acid content) which indicates the likelihood of polymerisation (oxidation) of the oil. The IV transfers to the biodiesel made from the oil, and oil which has a high IV makes biodiesel which oxidises readily.
          Canola had a good balance between price, IV and melting point.
          Tony From West Oz
          Vice Chairperson of WARFA
          Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 19 December 2006, 12:26 AM. Reason: Misspelt word
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I see, canola is grown because it is used, not used because it is grown.
            I had my chicken and egg backwards.

Will filtering remove any polymerised oil? If you have oil oil will it be ok if it is filterd prior to use?
            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
            X