PDA

View Full Version : Filtering WVO

bio boiler
12th January 2007, 11:06 PM
Hi All I am new to this forum. I have checked back on the threads and not got much back so i am sure i am not repeating anyone.:)

I am currently running a biomass boiler on waste stable straw and waste wood.
I would like to run all the electricity using a Lister CS which is fueled on WVO. I am rebuilding the engine at the moment.

My question is do any of you use bag filters 10 and 1 micron. one inside the other. I intend to pre heat / dewater the oil in the biomass boiler, reheat it to runny warm and filter it through the bags. on here i have seen you guys use GLIS and filter powder, could someone enlighten me as to what it is.

I am a big on keep it simple as it never breaks.

Kind Regards
:)

Fitian
12th January 2007, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I know for sure that you get better result when you cold filter your waste oil than warm filtering.

Regards,

Fitian

Captain Echidna
13th January 2007, 08:59 AM
Although we "cold filter" our oil, it works well because our systems are "cold". I had a gemini which ran on solid lard (not the stuff that collects at the bottom of drums, all the drums I got were 100% solid, I needed a spade to dig it out and get it heated) but every step of the system was heated, tank, fuel lines, switch gear, the lot. (which meant the coolant leaks in the boot were annoying,so decided not to do it that way again)
If you are using a stationay engine to run on oil, you could easily heat the system (use preferably coolant though, as you wont set fire to the oil as you may using exhaust heat, cooling air may be ok if its not to hot)

The "golden rule" would be however, when filtering your oil dont heat it hotter than your fuel system will heat it. That way you wont have problems (like I did on the gemini) with the filter blocking up with high melting point oils. (I melted them all before I filtered the oil, the car did not melt them all)

I belive old diesels will start on oil better than new ones, but perhaps you still need some taps to enable the engine to shut down and start on liquid oils, and run on solid stuff when they are hot.

tbird650
14th January 2007, 05:52 PM
Hi, Bio Boiler

My question is do any of you use bag filters 10 and 1 micron. one inside the other

Yes, I do that. It works well with the Haywood (polyester I think) type.

Tony From West Oz
14th January 2007, 07:46 PM
I have not tried filtering in stages. The most I have done was to put a removable bag (made from track pants leg), inside the filter to allow me to remove the larger contaminants without having to wash out the filter bag.

I can cold filter a lot of oil, depending on the ambient temperature and the amount of high MP oils in the oil being filtered,without needing to wash out my filter bags.

nature fuels
2nd February 2007, 07:03 PM
Hi All I am new to this forum. I have checked back on the threads and not got much back so i am sure i am not repeating anyone.:)

I would like to run all the electricity using a Lister CS which is fueled on WVO. I am rebuilding the engine at the moment.

My question is do any of you use bag filters 10 and 1 micron. one inside the other. I intend to pre heat / dewater the oil in the biomass boiler, reheat it to runny warm and filter it through the bags. on here i have seen you guys use GLIS and filter powder, could someone enlighten me as to what it is.

Kind Regards

Well you are using the right engine, i have a book that tells you how to build (a better than a generator) battery charger using a truck alternator. They claim its the most efficient as it can produce up to 100Amps, it also tells the correct pully ratio to give best performance. Anyhow you may already have this one but if not check out jaycar for a copy, its pretty good..

otherside532
3rd February 2007, 03:31 PM

Kind Regards

Hello "bioboiler" and welcome to our small, but select, group of individualists/eccentrics? I used to live in Derbyshire, in a previous life seems like. I lived in Chesterfield for a while and then Dronfield Woodhouse. I am now in New Zealand's "winterless north," and very much into WVO.
I don't know if I am just plain lucky with what I do but, for what ot's worth here is what I do do and it works.

I collect WVO in 20 litre drums from 2 local chippies. Both these chippies change their oil every 2-3 days which, I think, is unusual, but makes fro great tasting chips. I pour the oil through a large tea strainer type thing, which gets the big bits out. The oil is poured into a bucket. I then empty the bucket into a coffee urn-don't laugh, it is a major improvement from where started. I heat the oil in the coffee urn and then pour the heated oil through a 100 micron strainer into a 44 gallon drum. I have a filter system which comprises 2 water filters, believe it or not, 1x10 micron and 1 x 1 micron. Each filter is in a specially made plastic holder. I have an electric pump and a drum heater, which is invaluable. I pump the oil out of the 200 litre drum either straight into a vehicle (I have 3 running on WVO) or into my 1000 litre tank. I have tried cold filtering, but in my view it takes too long and, believe it or not, the stuff which is retained by cold filtering, still gets used/burned as fuel in the vehicles, so why cold filter and lose extra fuel, I ask myself. I know it all burns because i have run out of WVO a couple of times and I can see the bare metal bottom of the tank when I take a look.
Have you checked out the "Kerosene supply" thread here? You really should if you haven't. It provided me with the most fantastic breakthrough in my business see Paihia Transport, Airport Shuttle Service, Eco-Tours around the Bay of Islands (http://www.paihiatransport.co.nz) I now run my 2 Toyota Hiace diesel vans on 10% pewtrol and 90% WVO with no modifications of any kind to the engines. It is fantastic. It has erduced my fuel costs by about 90%, yes 90%!!! It blows your mind.
Best of British and all that
Geoff-otherside 532
P.S. From what I have been told, the UK government is being a major pain, but then which government isn't a major pain, about using WVO in vehicles and paying tax on it. They shouldbe paying people to use it, what with global warming and pollution

bio boiler
6th February 2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks Guys, My oil is seperating quite nice now now i have brought it in out of the cold. I hope to use some of the extra oil in the Kero boiler to help keep the house warm:p .
Do any of you de water the oil and if so how do you do it.

Nature, could you give me a little more info on jaycar please.

Thanks for all your help.

nature fuels
7th February 2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks Guys, My oil is seperating quite nice now now i have brought it in out of the cold. I hope to use some of the extra oil in the Kero boiler to help keep the house warm:p .
Do any of you de water the oil and if so how do you do it.

Nature, could you give me a little more info on jaycar please.

Thanks for all your help.

Sorry, I didn't relise that you are in the U.K,

Jaycar is an electronics shop ( like radio parts, tandy etc ). That book I am talking about is called building your own charging plant (57 pages). It seems like a booklet made in Australia. I have lent my copy out but will get it back. It is amazing as it tells indepth how to modify a truck alternator, correct ratios and best motors etc.

will get more.

Tony From West Oz
8th February 2007, 12:26 AM
bio boiler
visit Jaycar Electronics (http://www.jaycar.com.au)

tony