Hemp Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemp Oil

Has anyone ever investigated the use of Hemp oil as a feedstock?
    (Im talking about marijuana here, Im talking about Hemp - which has not THC content)

Obviously there are many uses for hemp, but does anyone know anything about its oil content and whether it is suitable for BD?

Thanks!

Re: Hemp Oil

Hemp seed has a high oil content, but I would have thought that it would be too valuable to use as feedstock for BD.

The boutique cosmetics industry use it and in Europe and USA it is valued as a food product, not approved for food in Australia.
    glenos

Comment

Hi everyone,
      We have tried Hemp oil in labs in India.Its too cost ineffective to have a feed source from hemp seeds and hence the whole thing on a commercial basis was discontinued about 5 years back.When the national mandate was taken focusing on either Jatropha or Karanja.Both less attention seeking plants.
      We are looking at the possibility of designing means of mechanical picking of the seeds for jatropha.On the drawing board.
      I know labour is cheap in India but the area to be covered is so humumgous that unless a good mechanical means of harvesting is established this module could only work in countries with low labour cost.

Regards

Sauman

Comment

Hi everyone,
        We have tried Hemp oil in labs in India.Its too cost ineffective to have a feed source from hemp seeds and hence the whole thing on a commercial basis was discontinued about 5 years back.When the national mandate was taken focusing on either Jatropha or Karanja.Both less attention seeking plants.
        We are looking at the possibility of designing means of mechanical picking of the seeds for jatropha.On the drawing board.
        I know labour is cheap in India but the area to be covered is so humumgous that unless a good mechanical means of harvesting is established this module could only work in countries with low labour cost.

Regards

Sauman

Comment

There's a guy at CERES markets that sells soap made from hemp oil and he reckons he gets it bulk imported from Canada.
          He sells his soap blocks quite cheap so i guess its not that expensive unless he's bullshiting me.
          I also sell soap at the markets but made from Glycerine.
          RE- question "can you make BD from Hemp oil", Yeah ofcourse, any oil or fat will make BD.
          Myself and Paul Martin have a fantasy of dumpster diving a liposuction clinic and making BD from human fat.
          Then i would make a sticker saying "My car runs on fat ladies".
          darren leonadas
          Last edited by darren leonadas; 8 March 2006, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauman
            Hi everyone,
            We have tried Hemp oil in labs in India.Its too cost ineffective to have a feed source from hemp seeds and hence the whole thing on a commercial basis was discontinued about 5 years back.
            Hi Sauman,

You mentioned that it was cost ineffective. Can you give me an idea of what the largest cost were, in case these differ.

Its possible in an arid environment, where you need to supply lots of water for the plants, it could indeed be cost ineffective, but this maychange in a different environment.

Could you shed some more light on what coss made the project ineffective?

Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,Hemp oil as a feed source opened up a can of worms in India.As you must be aware that marijuana as a cash crop is a semi legal activity in India,specially in the valleys of Himachal,kulu valley,the whole of the himalayan foot hills extending upto Arunachal pradesh.Hemp also has a very significant application as a noble plant and herb in many religious,social and cultural practices.It is also a very big money making Industry.The capital of hash making and hash oil making happens in this tract. When the government wanted to promote Industrial Hemp for seed oil cultivation as well as for fabric etc.It became a legitimate front for illegal operations.Also the subsidies given to the farmers were siphoned off to make small scale distillation for hash oil.In fact it got so hot that they had to ban on paper cultivation of hemp in any form.Though they have left a snag that it can be grown for the babas and religous practise.The sole reason I think the project failed I think is because of lack of govt. monitoring,hashish/hash oil a better option.....money wise....and there is no way in the harsh terrain to keep a tab on what plants are of Industrial grade and what is for consumption.However there are earmarked areas now that legitimately cultivate hemp for oil used mainly by the Auyrvedic market and pharmacuetical compositions.Guess it's one of those things that just did not take off.In Aus it may be a different proposition as seed purchase is controlled so the Govt is assured that only Industrial grade hemp is being used.Added benifit could be the fibre and multiferous uses that we all know the plant can be used for far outweighs many a cash crop.CheersSauman

Comment

Wouldn't these problems have been around before biodiesel you mentioned the foothills were covered with the stuff wouldn't it have been better off converting the stuff to biodiesel. And I thought we were talking about low THC hemp ie do what your metioning we do here in Australia. What was your extraction method?

Comment

Working...
                X