Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas fridge

Hi All,
    Just wondering how a gas or old kero fridge works?
    I'm guessing that it is a temp difference somehow.
    Could a hot water(solar) be used instead of gas.
    How would you build one.
    Cheers
    Maxwell

Re: gas fridge

Not real sure but I think a gas fridge uses the heat from the flame to circulate the refrigerant ( chemical ) just like hot water rises to the top of a kettle, convection. So the flame is placed on the coils and makes the refrigerant flow that way, where as a electric one uses a compressor to push the gases.

The cold basically comes from pushing a gas ( refrig works better than air )through a small opening the same affect on LPG, Nat gass or a compressor fitting as the air/gas flows
    Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

Maxwell here is what you are looking for.

Info that explains the process fairly simply.

Ammonia Refrigerators Absorption type
      Dave

Comment

Gas appliances are surprisingly more efficient than eletrical ones too. Gas tumble driers are much better for instance, though the idea sounds mad.

Comment

Hi

Interesting topic. What sort of temperatures are you looking for to maintain the continuous cycle absorption system?

Cheers

ab

Comment

Hi Guys

Just found this site.

Intermittent Absorption Refrigeration ~ Select articles, abstracts, Google search results, and patents

cheers

ab

Comment

If your referring to a continuopus cycle to run a fridge then I suggest you google on "A Solar Ammonia Absorption Icemaker" it will reveal lots of info.

mmm The font has changed after pasting that in.

Anyway I am intersted in this too and have read a little over the years.

Matt
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

an old brain buss for me
                i got hold of an old kero fridge years ago with the intention of replacing the flame with a parabolic reflector.
                just useing the colling part of the fridge [not the storage part] i had visions of it sitting on my roof as a fully automatic air cond.[as soon as the sun shines it starts to work], of course you would need a much larger unit,this would just test the principal. with suitable cowling etc the cold air would simply FALL into the house, and on a hot day Heat is what is plentifull so if this could be used for cooling,presto.
                When you file the patent dont forget ME!!!

Comment

The "australian coal burners and non consentual sex of the environment" group contacted me about delivering a horses head into your bed. Any adress I should deliver to??
                  cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Hey Dagwill,
                    That is such a beautifully simple idea. I guess that if you got the cold air right to the bottom of the house it would gradually fill up(providing you keep the doors and windows sealed). How would you make sure that hot air didn't come up the cold air pipe? And how much hotter would the roof have to be to make this work. Not that I'll need one for a while, -2C in central London last night!

Comment

i thought the ventilation to and from the unit would be an upsidedown U or an n shape.. avent from the ceiling would rise hot air to the unit which is itself just over centre above the down side ,the down side would continue through ceiling and down a wall with its opening say a mtr above floor level, natural convection would circulate and the whole system is completly automatic with no moving parts no need for controls,just cool air when its hot

Comment

Working...
                      X