Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copaifera

Hello all:

Does anyone here have any knowledge of the Copaifera tree from Brazil? This is the tree that can supposedly be 'tapped' like a maple tree, but instead of syrup, you get some sort of oil very similar to diesel. We are attempting to import some seeds from Brazil to evaluate growth habits, and potential fuel yields.

There are all kinds of wonderful trees out there that can potentially produce biodiesel-like products. Maybe this thread could discuss some of these trees???

Cheers.

Mike

Re: Copaifera

I am no expert in this subject, but perhaps the Malee tree may be discussed here. (I might go and ask some people who may know more about this to try and get them to comment in here).
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Re: Copaifera

G'day Robert

thanks for the email. I'm not much of an expert on mallee oil, but I think there would be a couple of problems. 1-not a high yield, 2- it needs to be distilled, 3- is a very volotile fraction, 4 - can be lethal if ingested! Makes you wonder how the heck Koala bears can tolerate the stuff .
      There are a lot of interesting tropical trees, I think they can be found on the Dukes list. There is an interesting tree known as the turpentine tree. Personally, I am a "cropper" and I like to grow crops and plants I already have the equipment for

rgds

Steven

Comment

Working...
      X