Full Hands-ON workshops by NZ renewable energy expert in Sydney, Mid march

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Hands-ON workshops by NZ renewable energy expert in Sydney, Mid march

I am a Biodiesel educator in NZ and i paln to run two full hands on workshops in Sydney ( mid March). Each participant will get to make one L batch of biodiesel from used vege oils to take home. During the workshop we will also look at practical solutions of making a small low cost BD plant at home form recycled material.
    Off course there will be some fee to recover the cost.
    If interested contact me. eTec: Energy & Technology education centre
    melvindin
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by melvindin; 17 February 2007, 08:58 PM. Reason: more details

Re: Full Hands-ON workshops by NZ renewable energy expert in Sydney, Mid march

Hi Melvindin,

I've noticed that you've actually posted this same information in several threads all over the forum, but most of them were automatically screened (or "moderated") from publication as they set off some automated spam rules that I have in the forum.

You'd really be better off posting up some information in the Sydney area (the NSW section here) if you wanted to get a better response. As such, I've moved this thread from the classifieds section where you posted it and into the local NSW area where it will be more appropriate. I've deleted all the other threads as they contained the same information and were not in the correct areas.

How were you planning on getting numbers for your workshops? Where were you planning on holding them? How much would you be charging for them? Are you marketing them elsewhere? There is a large community of people who would already be interested in this sort of thing here, so I'd suggest that you might want to talk to me, or some others in this community if you wanted any help getting it going.

As David had mentioned to you in your other post, we are already having an event here on the 11th of March. There will possibly be people there who are demonstrating some biodiesel production. Maybe you could tie in with this, maybe you could meet people there who might want to attend your workshops? Either way, if you wanted to communicate with myself, or with other members of the Sydney community, I'm sure we could help you with your endeavours here.

Cheers,
    Robert
    Administrator
    Last edited by Robert; 18 February 2007, 03:33 PM.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Melvin,
      If you need a venue for your workshop please contact me as I can provide facilites at the University of New South Wales. Send me a pm if you are keen and then we can perhaps chat via email a little off line from the forum.

Regards,
      Cameron

Comment

Dear Cameron
        Many thanks for the offer.
        Please start working on the venue and let me know some suitable dates.
        I have advertised the same in Sydney papers.
        Your assistance will be very much appreciated.
        warmly
        melvin Din

Comment

Hi Melvin,
          I need more details before I can organise venues.

When push comes to shove I can organise the venue easily but before I do that I would need to know more detail on the course including course outline, learning outcomes, materials provided, costs etc.

Best to do that off line rather than through the public forum.

You can pm me through the forum and then I will forward my email details over to you.

I am sure that it is consistent with what we are trying to do but being a University there is an expectation that courses delivered are of an appropriate standard and quality. It is my job to ensure that BEFORE we start to make logistical arrangements.

Cheers,
          cameron
          UNSW

Comment

Dear Cameron
            Thanks again for the reply.
            I will send you more details through of line communication.
            Please let me know your email/phone contact.
            all my contact details are on eTec: Energy & Technology education centre.

Here is the quick brief;

This course is designed for general public with very little or no prior knowledge of high school chemistry. Full hands on approach will be used.
            Open to all biofuel enthusiasts

Objectives:
            To understand basic organic chemistry involved in biofuels, vege oils

To understand the exothermic reactions taking place in Methoxide making

To understand chemistry terms such as catlyst, hyrdocarbon chains , transestrification and general techical literacy and numercy involved in making Biodiesel.

To understand the importance of Test Batch Making in the chemcal industry with reference to variation in raw material/ feed stock

How to use byproducts and reduce waste

To practice Basic safety precautions with chemicals.

How to generate new jobs and other niche economic and agricultural activities for biodiesel.

Outcomes:

All participants will get to make one litre biodiesel from vegetable oils during this workshop themselves , to home at the conclusion of the seminar.

They will have better appreciation of keeping things simple and learn about safety with chemcals.

They will learn the process of making a just right recipe for a particular feed stock.
            A simpler starter biodiesel plant from recycled material for personal use to make 20-100 L biodiesel at home.

Practice measuring skills, understading pH, exothermic reactions, carbon chains, transestrification, baisc organic chemistry of biofuels.......

METHO OF DELIVERY:
            Full hands on session
            SHOW + TELL + INVOLVE ALL
            Semi Informal and relaxed, humourous but semi academic setting for the needs of general participants.

Room Requirement:
            A trade workshop, Science lab with sinks for 15-20 people

Duration
            3 hours ( with 15 minutes break)

No pen paper required, a hand out provided as reference to take home.

Cost per participant
            $ 140
            All material provided

Material
            1L vege oil
            300mL methanol
            10g NaOH
            pH paper
            3L plastic bottle
            Safety glasses, gloves,
            4 test tubes,
            small beaker
            Thermometer
            12 Page hand out, notes
            Tea and coffee.

Question and Answer time:

Comment

OK no worries Melvin - email is on the way.

Cheers,
              Cameron

Comment

Dear Cameron
                I have recieved few emails from keen members regarding the March workshops. ( could be fourth week now)
                Please let me know how are you getting on with the venue by this Friday
                Please let me know so that i can make some travel arrangements.I am puting few
                more details on eTec: Energy & Technology education centre
                Warmly
                Melvin Din
                members can contact me directly
                melvindin@clear.net.nz

Comment

Hi Melvin,
                  Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - flat out right now.

I will go through it all properly tomorrow and get back to you off line with some hopefully sensible comments.

Cheers,
                  Cameron

Comment

JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS REAL INTEREST IN SUCH WORKSHOPS>
                    SO FAR I HAVE NOT HEAR FROM MANY>
                    Please show some sign of interest in these proposed workshops so that things start to move
                    warmly
                    melvindin@clear.net.nz

Comment

I'd be interested!

Comment

I will be at IRONFEST on 29.29 April to run two sessions on Biodiesel and PCB making( printed circuit board).
                        Fesival ia at LITHGROW showgrounds, 1.5 Hours fro downtown.
                        Any Body interest/ ask for details.
                        these is cost involved ( to recover travel etc).
                        maximum 10 people will be accepted in each workshop becauseit is full hands-on session and each participant will get to make 1L biodiesel to take home.
                        I am now despratly looking for Methanol and some used fish and Chip oil. Can nor carry it from New Zealnd. Airline will not allow, sepaecaily with kind of looks.
                        Please help me to get some methanol ( 3L ) and used oil( 5-10L).
                        email directly
                        melvindin@clear.net.nz
                        ph fx 0064 9 2381080
                        mob 0064 21 215 2850

Comment

Dear Cameron
                          The title of this posting should be
                          BIODIESEL WORKSHOPS IN SYDNEY; ( please remove march ....)

Comment

Please note that IFRONFEST IS ON 28th and 29th at Lithgrow Show groundgs. More details at
                            ***IRONFEST 2007***

I will run two workshops and needs some Methanol and used vegetable oil,
                            and 200 g NaOH.
                            Please let me know if you can help me. TOP $$$ PAID
                            melvindin@clear.net.nz

Comment

Bump this Topic.

Did you get this sorted melvindin?

Would love to be there but being at lithgow for nearly a week over easter was enough for me.

Anyway all the best.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X