Simple filtering system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple filtering system

Sorry to those who have seen this before but it's not a bad system for those starting out. NB This system does not dewater. The 5 micron sock filters are available from Tony if needed.

http://www.biotuning.co.uk/downloads/filterguide_v1.pdf

Cheers, Michael

Re: Simple filtering system

Quite good. My only comment would be I would try something lighter weight than jeans for a prefilter. I used jeans, but found them very slow. My system (which uses 4x 20 litre drums as "pre filters" slowly going through the first stage, followed by being pumped up and through a 5 micron bag filter, and being stored until pumped into the car) uses tshirts for the first stage, and they seem to hold back 99% of stuff. Unfortunatley I generally wear the tshirts until they get holes in them, which means they are no good as filters.

Apart from that a good systems
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Hi Folks, I've been very busy taking Vegiecars to festivals and talks, TV and magazines for the last while, so haven't had time to be involved in the forum - but hopefully I'll have some more time now that the pressure is off.

Vegiecars market a simple primary filter system which is based on a 25 litre round drum with a large round lid (These drums are easily available from bunnings stores). We sell a filter kit that includes the drum with a quality tap, 1 x 50 micron bag filter and 2 x 5 micron bag filters. The whole kit costs $95 (plus postage), but can be sold for $80 if you pick up the drum yourself.

I designed this kit as a simple primary filtration system for travelling as it is small and the parts are easily replaceable if broken or damaged. The drum can handle temperatures up to around 70 deg C, so it can be used for warm filtering which will make the process quicker. I suggest that the system also be used for cold filtering to remove the hard fats from the oil that tend to plug up your under bonnet filters.

The system doesn't dewater, so I recommend settling if you have the time and/or installing an agglomerating filter which will coalesce the small water particles into droplets and release them into a bowl at the base.

This unit is not yet included on the Vegiecars web site. I hope to have time to build more content into the web site in the next couple of weeks which will address some more of these issues.

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions
      Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
      3 Waratah Avenue
      Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

Would the socks in this link work with the specified holes listed in the how-to given in this thread?

5 micron bag filter Biodiesel/WVO and other liquids - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 07-May-08 21:54:22 AEST)

If they would work, how would I make the socks stay securely on the top of the 55 gallon drum?
        Thank you all for a great forum with a lot of very helpful information.

Comment

cut a hole in the top a little smaller than the filter bag ring then drop it in. simple and cheap. Goodluck.
          Cheers
          Nick.
          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
          sigpic

Comment

I probably shoud update what I do.
            For $1 each, I use the green shopping bags, and as they seem about 5 micron, then follow up with a 5 micron bag filter. (I dont use tshirts)
            Also I pour into the green bags a lot closer to grould level, then pump up and through the 5 mic filter. It saves a lot of lifting.
            Captain Echidna
            Last edited by Captain Echidna; 1 May 2008, 09:15 PM.
            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Here is my system, using 2, "home brew container" polythene drums to support 5 micron filter bags. The one on the right has a filter sock to catch the high melting point oils which are a feature in winter. When the HMP oils get thick in the sock, I pull it out and empty into a drum for the biodiesel coop.

The translucent HDPE chemical drums are what I use to store the oil, ready for use. I pour from these into the veggie tank on my car.

I hope this helps,
              Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Here's mine.
                Similar to Tony's.
                Drums are 60 litres. The drum on the right has a 10 litre bucket which is a neat fit into the opening in the drum. The bucket has a hole in it to just fit the filter bag and I now use a shopping bag inside the filter bag for longer filter life. The drum on the left just has a shopping bag secured to the top with 2 large hose clamps joined together.
                Fitian got the 60 litre drums for me and I had the bucket around home. Bunnings for the hose clamps, taps and 'canoe drum'.
                Nuddy
                Last edited by Nuddy; 3 May 2008, 01:55 AM.

Comment

I'm just trying to get some ideas for the best way to go about the filtering. My first thought was to have recovery containers, which I would pour daily or weekly into a primary filtering 55 gallon plastic drum. Once this settled for 2 weeks (which is the amount of time I've read that should be followed), I would filter into 5 micron socks into the second 55 gallon drum, which would also have the filling pump.

My second idea was to follow the link in the beginning of this thread, which means I would recover waste oil, and only use one 55 gallon drum to do the primary and 5 micron filtering all at once, just like the pictures show. After this, I would wait the 2 weeks for settling, then pump straight from this one and only drum.

Thoughts? Concerns? Thank you.

Comment

I prefer the first idea. Best to settle before the 5 micron filtering rather than after - makes it easier on the filter. Have a look here:
                    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...nk_design.html
                    and here:
                    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use..._settling.html

Comment

Hmm, all seems rather simple and easy, reminds me of what I used to do when I first started. I quickly found trying to produce good dry oil with a few tiny containers was not as simple and easy as it looked. I now use 4 200 litre drums in an upsettling system. I will take some pictures and post them on the end of the old upsettling thread if anyone is interested.
                      Johnnojack
                      Johnnojack
                      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                        Hmm, all seems rather simple and easy, reminds me of what I used to do when I first started. I quickly found trying to produce good dry oil with a few tiny containers was not as simple and easy as it looked. I now use 4 200 litre drums in an upsettling system. I will take some pictures and post them on the end of the old upsettling thread if anyone is interested.
                        Johnnojack
                        I'm interested

Comment

troopy i thought that you had an upflow system ex- david that you had at the last picnic. Why aren't you using this? and why would you be interested in another if you already have one? Seems Strange to me. Honestly the whole bag filtering seemes strange to me. upflow all the way. saves time and money at the sacrifice of space.
                          Cheers Nick.
                          Cheers
                          Nick.
                          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
                            troopy i thought that you had an upflow system ex- david that you had at the last picnic. Why aren't you using this? and why would you be interested in another if you already have one? Seems Strange to me. Honestly the whole bag filtering seemes strange to me. upflow all the way. saves time and money at the sacrifice of space.
                            Cheers Nick.
                            Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
                            Ps If anyone wants me to stop posting due to this being boring or anything please let me know. or any thoughts? comments? questions? are most welcome.
                            Johnnojack offered to post pictures if anyone is interested. I am interested to see his pictures and am encouraging him to post them. Just as I am interested in seeing the pictures and reading the words you post of reconditioning your 300D, doesn't mean I'm interested in doing that myself. It is all interesting to me.
                            Keep it up Nick.

Comment

it just spurred my thoughts why are you showing pics of this bag filtering stuff if you have an upflow system. we have lost david ( the original builder of the system) so why aren't you sharing your pic and results of the upflow. seems strange to me? I'm glad you are enjoying my merc rebuild thread.
                              Cheers Nick.
                              Cheers
                              Nick.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X