Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used carboys

Hello,
    I just picked up a bunch of 20L carboys from a cleaning company and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to properly and effectively clean out these carboys so that no residual chemicals are left that might affect the process. Thanks!

Re: Used carboys

I just used a bit of detergent and hot water with a few good rinses on mine (they had been storing juice concentrates). I made sure that they had completely dried out, by leaving them open in the hot sun for a day and ensuring that all the little water droplets had evaporated properly. I didn't want any water in my biodiesel. They still smelled of the product that was in them before, but the insides were squeaky clean.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Bio Popo
      Hello,
      I just picked up a bunch of 20L carboys from a cleaning company and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to properly and effectively clean out these carboys so that no residual chemicals are left that might affect the process. Thanks!
      Are u saying that there's nothing special about the containers needed to hold bd? like they don't have to be petrol or diesel rated? What's this word 'carboy' mean anyway?

Comment

I don't know what the term "carboy" means - it comes from 'merrica, where they use words like "lye", heck they can;'t even spell "lie" correctly

I translate "carboy" to mean the 20 or 25 litre chemical containers made from HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene). These are available in coloured ( I have seen blue, black, yellow and green) or opaque HDPE. There should be no difference chemically in storing the biodiesel, but I prefer the opaque ones so that I can see the condition of the contents.
        If storing biodiesel or oil for extended periods, I would recommend using the black of dark blue ones to minimise light entering the container and promoting microbial activity.

I use opaque ones as UCO containers, to store my filtered vegetable oil. As I "cold filter" , when the weather cools down, I always get some cloudy oils settling to the bottom of the containers. I can pour off the clear oil from the top and euther use the cloudy oils in a heated fuel tank (current project) or keep them for summer use.
        Tony From West Oz
        Vice Chairperson of WARFA
        Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 11 April 2006, 01:31 AM.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Frogger - I've no idea what "carboy" means either... I've posted up a thread about the 25L containers I use here before.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

mate if your carboys are made of glass metabisulphate is the best cleaning and sterilizer
            cheers mate ken

Comment

Working...
            X