Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using "space blankets" to reflect engine heat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using "space blankets" to reflect engine heat.

At first I thought maybe a clear panel in the hood might help to heat the engine.

then I started thinking about those "space blankets"
    pasted under the hood they would reflect heat back to the engine like mirrors
    not a tremendous improvement but heat is what helps the SVO process
    (and theyre about 2 bucks)

putting a wind blocker behind the radiator probably would help too

Re: Using "space blankets" to reflect engine heat.

no constructive crit?

i mean i was thinking that with the clear hood
    (or porthole of some sort)
    the sun would naturally warm the engine

imagine one of those days where you can fry an egg on the sidewalk

or using those space blankets to reflect heat

so instead of the heat being absorbed by the hood after a 5 min drive

its being continually reflected, keeping the engine from cooling down as quickly

Comment

Hi,

Heat is transmitted 3 ways; convection, conduction and radiation. The space blanket only deals with radiant heat and you have to wrap the engine bay completely as heat radiates omni directionally.

The problem with a glass port hole is that it lets heat in and out and glass house work because they are sealed to deal with convection. So you'd need to seal your engine bay air tight.

There is a self adhesive bonnet (hood) noise attenuator that has 1 inch of foam covered by silver foil. Most after market auto stores have or can get it. This is probably the most effective product I've seen. Also used in sound proofing generators.

Cheers, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by W123 x 2 View Post
        Hi,
        There is a self adhesive bonnet (hood) noise attenuator that has 1 inch of foam covered by silver foil. Most after market auto stores have or can get it. This is probably the most effective product I've seen. Also used in sound proofing generators.
        im not sure what youre referring to
        do you have a link to that info?

also
        granted you wouldnt be able to reflect all of the heat
        but i dont think it would hurt any
        (and be better than having nothing at all)

anyway, you guys seem to know more about all this

im just throwing ideas out
        Gen-Erix
        Last edited by Gen-Erix; 27 February 2007, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Sorry no link just a mind that remembers stuff. Do a search under insulation materials for engines and something similar will turn up.

Engines are about 18% efficient the rest of the energy is "lost" as heat. Engines generally produce too much heat and dissipating it is a priority. Installing a large easily removable sump guard like structure would do more to retain the heat after switch off than anything. That coupled with some insulating foam and foil should keep it warm for hours maybe half a day.

During WWII the Germans battling Russia's cold winter used to park their tanks over compost heaps to stop the sump oil freezing. They also lit small fires under the sumps of their Panzers

cheers, Michael

Comment

I'm a bit slow, search under firewall insulation - it's made for the job

Michael

Comment

Working...
            X