Conversion necassery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion necassery?

Hi there. I've been considering the possibility of running my car on SVO for some time now, have done a lot of research, but am still baffled.

I own a Peugeot 306 with the XUD9TE 1.9l turbodiesel engine.
    It has a lucas fuel injector pump which is bad from what I can gather, but if it blows I'll replace it with a Bosch one from the local breakers. Don't mind days off work anyway.

I was hoping to, without any conversion whatsoever, just use a 50/50 diesel/SVO mix during the summer months, and probably just stick to 100% diesel for winter months here (UK).

Is it safe to just go ahead and do that or will I expect problems?

Are there any other additives that could improve the system or is some kind of full conversion absolutely necassery?

Re: Conversion necassery?

Hi Tobster, and welcome to this forum.

Whilst you are welcome here you may find this link helpful if you haven't found it yet as it is a UK forum. vegetableoildiesel.co.uk - Powered by XMB
    and if that doesn't overload you this one will. Biodiesel & SVO Forums - Powered by eve community

Anyway if you are not worried about pumps dying and the associated dramas, give it a go by progression. Start with a 20/80 blend of wvo to dino diesel and gradually increase the the wvo content until it reaches the optimum level for your vehicle and conditions.

Some things to remember and aim for/do;
    - It's experimental and at your own risk
    - try and get wvo with as little hydrogenated stuff in it as possible
    - try to get an oil that is liquid at your ambient outside air temps
    - filter and settle your oil before it goes in the tank
    - if the pug doesn't have one, install a disposable filter in an accessible spot before the main filter
    - always carry a couple of these disposable filters (and clamps) in the car
    - consider adding heat at some point(s) in the fuel line just to keep the fuel moving in your climate. That way you could run blends all year round
    - "suck it and see"

If you can replace the lucas pump with a Bosch I'd be surprised. The main reason the Bosch pump is the preferred unit is that some of them are engine oil lubricated (and heated by default). The Lucas relies on the fuel for lubrication and so viscosity comes into play as the fuel needs to get into all the nooks and crannies to keep things 'oiled'.

Anyway, good luck and don't forget to pay the MoT or whoever their taxes for the 'fuel' you use

Michael

Comment

Working...
    X