What are you doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing?

In another threade I asked what you were doing to help clean up the atmosphere, other than driving the Mazda Neo, or should that be VW TDi, to the shops instead of the 'cruiser.

GSmiley gave us this contribution -

"You asked what am I doing to reduce CO2. Most important I limited my number of offspring to two, barely replacement. I am also building a second whiz-bang biodiesel processor that does all except the initial 120C dewatering in the same tank, drive and fix my own old economic,. smallish diesel vehicles. I grow much of my own food organically and shiver somewhat in the winter. But if I really wanted to make a bigger contribution I would ride a bike or better yet, top myself. "

Of course I would not advocate topping oneself because I do not believe it would benefit the environment, but each to his own.

What are you doing?
    Slippery
    Small steps taken one at a time.

Re: What are you doing?

What are you doing???. I am teaching my 22 old son how to make biodiesel.It is anyones guess how much oil will be available to the fossil fuel guzzlers when he is my age (56).I wish I had known about bio 30 years ago.

Comment

Re: What are you doing (to help reduce global warming)?

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed, as I thought it was one of those inane "I'm sitting at my PC reading this" type threads.

Anyway, I like this type of thread as it helps us learn a bit more about each other, not directly related to biofuels.

As for me, my wife and I have done the following:
      • Make my own biodiesel (of course!)
      • Swapped almost all our light bulbs to energy saving ones
      • Reduce our electricity usage as much as possible (e.g. not leaving TV etc on standby, using ceiling fans instead of A/C)
      • Produce our own eggs, vegetables, beer and bread
      • Buy fresh produce locally as far as possible
      • Commute by public transport (bike/train)
      • Walk/cycle to local shops/school as much as possible
      • Dry clothes on the line (we don't have a dryer)
      We are also planning the following (cash permitting):
      • Switch over to 100% accredited green power
      • Get a rainwater tank
      • Get solar hot water
      • Insulate the house better
      Mind you, all that good stuff gets completely undone when we fly to UK to see my parents, as we did at Christmas!

And to be honest, not all of the above list is motivated by environmental considerations as much as financial ones. So I wouldn't call myself a greenie by any means, but we are trying to "do our bit" and slowly change our habits for the better.
      Sean

Comment

My two cents worth,

The big stuff.....
        I run my car on bio.
        I am in the process of covering nearly every every available inch of the northern facing aspect of my roof with solar panels. The plan being to generate around 50-60% of the power we use. The setup is not big enough to go grid free, but there is room for expansion later.
        I am currently arguing with my council about the size of rainwater tank I can install (they have issues with how much of my block will be "under roof" if I put in the size tank I want, dumbarses!!!!).
        I am currently prototyping a fully automated grey water system. (coincidentally my council doesnt seem to care about my plan to water the garden and flush my toilet with reclaimed water).
        We dont use heating in the winter, the kids dont seem to mind putting on another jumper.

The little stuff......
        I have trained my kids to turn the light off when they leave a room. Took a while but we got there eventually.
        I have fitted lower power flouros into all lights.
        We recycle when and where possible, think outside the square and the opportunities are limitless.

The crime is to bury your head in the sand, as long as you do something, no matter how small, it all helps.
        Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Glad to see i have got something going with this thread. The intention was for as many people as possible to drop in and tell us what they are doing so we can all see if there is anything else we can do that we are not doing - yet. So get typing guys and dolls, lets hear from y'all.

For my part, apart from setting out to be a millionaire from my algae experiments, I still drive a 3lt gas guzzler but will swop that to a diesel as soon as the lease is up. We have planted a garden with no lawns so I do not need to mow it with one of those smokey old 2 strokes. Installed 3 rain water tanks - house, machine shed and second garage. Have started swopping out the light bulbs. Use evaporative coolers instead of air conditioners. If I do not need the car for work I take the train. So far have planted around 1000 trees, maybe more , I lost count. Started working towards the building of a biodiesel production plant at Blacksoil (Ipswich area).

What have you done?
          Slippery

Comment

A very thought provoking statement"what r u doin"? Reminds me of a John lennon song,"what are you doing here at all,put a band aid on it and stop the bleeding now."
            So much to do and so little time.
            Indeed a now or never syndrom.
            Be the change that you wanna see.Slippery how is the reactor coming together???Great I bet.

Cheers
            Sauman

Comment

Sauman, thanks for your interest, again.

If I could retire tomorrow the reactor would be built and running far quicker. Not enough hours in a weekend. About half way there at present but the rest should slot together a bit quicker. Was away for easter and domestic chores come first - know what I mean.

As soon as it is up and running I shall let you know. By the way we have decided not to go Skype. With phone cards it is so cheap to call anywhere world wide.

Cheers.
              Slippery

Comment

• I've gone from a gas gussling 6 cyl falcon to a 4 cyl diesel.
                • I make my own bio.
                • I've reduced the pressure to our hot water tank (reducing the electricity bill by $50 a quarter...amazing try it).
                • I turn lights off where and when I can and explain to my 6 yr old why.
                • I'm training my 6 year old about recycling and about bio diesel. She would know more than some newbies.
                • I have chickens and give all of the house hold scraps to them.
                • I think all of this doesn't "offset" the amount of K's I drive but the bio might help.
                • I run a website promoting biodiesel
                • I'm preparing to catch grey water for the garden. Jut need some more plumbing equipment.
                Last edited by joe; 10 April 2007, 09:36 PM. Reason: more jibber jabber
                Joe Morgan
                Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
                http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
                SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
                  • I've reduced the pressure to our hot water tank (reducing the electricity bill by $50 a quarter...amazing try it).

How do you do that? Did you need to get a plumber in to install a restrictor or is it something you did yourself?

I've turned the thermostat down already, but until we can afford solar hot water I would be keen to do more. Also, since we have a water saver shower head and kitchen tap aerator, I'm wondering if it would actually make much difference.
                  Sean

Comment

Great to see others making changes to suit the inevitable changes we will be forced to undergo.

I run my ute, tractor, boat (671GM) and diesel 24v generator on bio and blends. We have 12-24v LED lighting in the houses and boat, growing solar and wind system on the boat (15.5m) as well as the houses. We have a brilliant cheap solar hot water system that only cost $400 to build and set up and we use a portable (primus) gas hot water heater, that connects to our hot water system in the house for the really wet cold days. We take the hot water heater on the boat, and the ute, so when we travel it gives is hot water everywhere we are. We grow all our vegetables, some wheat and had a crop of mustard and wild radish for oil seed this season, ( mostly eaten by the birds because we didn't have a deterrent on one patch). What seed we got, convinced us we could grow enough on an acre to provide most of our oil needs. We have satellite internet and Voip running on 24v through a 1500w inverter. When we travel we carry a 600w pure sine wave inverter and small solar cell so we are well prepared, can stop anywhere and still be in comfort in our camper trailer.

I'm having a 300lt tank built that will go on the floor of the ute tray, giving us well over 3000klms range. Still got a V6 camry gas guzzler, but we are looking for a diesel replacement for that later this year. We have 14000 gallons of water tanks for the houses, our grey water goes through a series of filtering beds and is really clean at the end, feeding a garden and trees. We have a small aquaponics system we are experimenting with and will built a large one once we have it sorted out properly. That will provide us with enough veggies and some to sell, as well as all the fish we can eat. If you've got a fish tank, you can set a small aquaponics system and grow your own tomatoes, herbs, chillies and you don't need to filter the tank water, or feed the plants. It can be done in the smallest flat.

Comment

Crikey Alga, you put the rest of us to shame! I'm very impressed.

How did you get solar hot water for $400? The commercial systems cost upwards of $2000, so is yours a DIY "batch" system or something? If so do you have any plans/links you could point me to?
                      Sean

Comment

Dear Cybor legend nerd
                        Need a favour.I want an interactive site designed for kids.An idea that we can replicate in all countries.I can get funding for the site...no problemo!!!
                        I thought I would throw the idea around.
                        The whole focus of the site is to let ours kids to grow up doing what they should do.Spread the message .Knowledge is only good when shared stuff.
                        I am trying to lobby with the NSW and the govt of west bengal in India to put up a trail demo.
                        Idea being that everyday kids from two sides of the equator.With different ethno graphic situations and cultural environment seeking and exploring pathways.
                        One Goal stuff.With later expansions using net CMS.
                        Talking to a few cartoon networks on the same.
                        And yes we can do it.One green planet soon.
                        And funding for the site.I have worked out a few alternatives.Like getting the UNFCC to fund it.Johny boy can go get st7%%%989.
                        Busy this week.But will touch base asap.Roger and out.
                        Folks you think it is a good idea???
                        We can only do it together.
                        What r u doing???"Be the change that U wanna see""

Cheers
                        Sauman

Comment

Alas, we live in a rented flat, so there's not a hell of a lot of scope for big stuff, like solar power and rainwater tanks. Here's what we do though:
                          • We run green power at home.
                          • Most lights in our house are compact fluorescent.
                          • We shut down one of our fish tanks, and reduced the light input to our main one (from 190W to 110W).
                          • We avoid running the air conditioner at home wherever possible. This summer we ran it for about 10 hours total.
                          • Our car is number seven on the greenvehicles guide list (a 1.6l Pug 307 HDi) - though this actually counts as a minus, because pre-Pug I rode my bicycle to work most every day.
                          • I run my pug on bio blends (once the warranty has run out I'll switch to B100).
                          • I ride my bicycle to work whenever possible.
                          • We walk to the shops (with a grandma wheelie bag).
                          • My husband walks to work.
                          • We try to buy mainly locally grown fresh food, rather than heavily processed imported stuff, with the exception of rice - we refuse to support the Australian rice industry.
                          • I'm on the climate change working group in my union (CSIRO staff association), and we're lobbying CSIRO to improve its environmental credentials, as well as educating staff about climate change.
                          • We're saving a deposit for a nice little house, where I can make my own biodiesel, grow my own veggies, and generate my own power.

Comment

All great ideas guys and I am sure some are going to be tried. Lets keep this rolling. Try posting answers to questions raised as soon as possible so that the interest and momentum remains.

One thing that puzzles me though is the solar system in Tasmania. How does it work when you only get 3 days sun a year ?

I like Saumans idea too. Teach the kids to look after the environment and they will live with that for life. But I think you may be talking to the wrong people Sauman. It's an election year and the pollies are going to be throwing money around like there is no tomorrow.

If a change in government is on the cards, maybe you should be getting in touch with Peter Midnight Oil.
                            Slippery

Comment

What am I doing??
                              • I have been using Used Cooking Oil as the main fuel in my car for 6.5 years.
                              • I use biodiesel as the start / stop fuel.
                              • I convinced my wife to use biodiesel in her car (I had to buy her a Mercedes 300D to achieve this).
                              • I have been contriibuting to renewable fuels forums like this for 6 years and presenting at Biofuels workshops for 5 years, assisting others to convert to biofuels.
                              • I have had a solar power system for 6.5 years, until August last year, when we moved house, it was connected as a Grid Feed system, now it is connected as a stand alone system.
                              • We have had solar hot water systems for the last 16 years.
                              • We purchased a solar oriented, rammed earth home, then found it had no insulation in the roof.
                              • We insulated the ceiling of our new home with wool insulation.
                              • We replaced the most used lights in our home for fluorescent or compact fluorescent lamps.
                              • Our new home has a 30 000 gallon water tank (no scheme water) pumped to a 1000 gallon header tank for gravity feed to house.
                              • Toilet flushing is using bore water (also pumped to a 1000 gallon header tank), which is also used for watering the the garden.
                              • I built a 5 bay workshop and installed a 3000 gallon rainwater tank to accept the water from the workshop roof.
                              • The overflow from this tank is routed to the main tank.
                              • We have a worm farm for scraps and cardboard.
                              • We participate in recycling paper plastics, glass and other materials.
                              • Our heating in winter is fuelled with "fire logs" made from sawdust and biodiesel by-product, packed into used milk cartons which we add to a hot wood fire.
                              • We have a few sheep to supply most of our meat needs.
                              • We pickle our own olives.
                              • We have a small orchard which I hope to protect from native birds and then preserve the fruit for use throughout the year.
                              • I have a small vegetable garden which, if I can keep the kangaroos out, will provide much of our fresh vegetables.
                              • All hard green waste is mulched and returned to the soil.
                              • We have a compost heap for the soft green waste.
                              • We have chooks which take the majority of the scraps from the kitchen and in return supply a few eggs.
                              • I would like to cull some kangaroos, in an environmentally responsible manner, as they are very short on feed this year - very dry country.

There are things which we do not do:
                              Walk to shops (2.5 km horizontally and around 400 metres vertically) or work (40km)
                              Ride a bicycle to these places (same distances).
                              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                              X