PDA

View Full Version : Injector Pump filter - Ford Courier 2.5TD

bj4408
10th April 2007, 01:25 PM
My Courier had lost power at over 2700rpm and my first thought was a dirty fuel filter. Changed the canister filter, it looked pretty clean and was about 6000km old. I've done about 17000km on B100. There was no change to the low performance.

So thought the worst and went to my local mechanic, told him the problem. He smiled, an easy fix, there is a small wire filter on the inlet of the injector pump. He told me what to do, problem solved.

My Courier has 155,000km on it and I presume this filter had never been cleaned before. It is only small, not much surface area and had collected what looked like dust particles. The injector pump is a Bosch EPVE type as identified at this site www.veggiediesel.co.uk (http://www.doctordiesel.co.uk/).

I don't know if this filter is common to all these types of pumps or other types or just a Ford extra. But if you are having fuel problems, have a look, or ask a friendly mechanic if your injector pump has a built in filter.

The Fix:
Remove The banjo bolt on the inlet pipe to pump (17mm socket) with washer under head.Try and leave washer between banjo fitting and pump in place.

Get a piece of wire and make a small hook and remove spring and then filter. This can be done through the banjo fitting.

Wash the filter.

Re-assemble in correct order.

Start motor and check for leaks.

Jobs done.

A couple of photos are attached.

zigparacingtadpole
15th April 2007, 10:47 PM
Where do I send the carton to? I have a slightly older 2.5 naturally aspirated variant and have had the same problem since christmas. Its been to the mechanics twice and come back with the same problem both times. I dont know if the IP's are the same but its only going to cost me a few minutes of my time to see if I have the same strainer.

Thanks for posting, very useful.

Peda
16th April 2007, 11:46 AM
There is a similar filter in Nissan Patrol injector pumps too.
Peter

bj4408
16th April 2007, 06:05 PM
Adam, hope it solves your problem and have a beer for me if it does.

Peda, thanks for adding that tip.

It is finding out about these little things that is hard for us home mechanics and is why I posted the info. even though it is not directly related to Biodiesel.

regards
bj4408

Tony From West Oz
17th April 2007, 02:51 AM
The Nissan SD22 also has a filter in that location.

Tony

zigparacingtadpole
19th April 2007, 11:17 PM
The older normally aspirated Couriers (mine is a '98) have the same IP and the same little basket filter thing. And it was full of shite!
And does it go now, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!!
Thanks for posting the link to the site that identifies the pump, I might try the suggestion they had there of fitting a lift pump at the tank.
Let you know what transpires.

Matt
11th June 2007, 03:41 PM
Most cars and trucks have them , the Toyota landcruiser diesel and turbo diesel certainly does too.

Matt

MazdaBravo2.5TD
4th January 2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks so much for that info!!! Just bought a 99 Mazda Bravo 2.5 TD cheap. Previous owner had just spent tones on it - bearings, head, rings, etc...... But sold it cheap as it was not going over 3000rpm and started to miss fire at any higher rpm, and had little power. Only done 145,00km so shouldn't have needed any of that work. Anyway got it home tried cleaning every filter I could find - still no difference. Then found this thread. Took that filter out - was full of crap. Cleaned filter put back in. WOW :D full power and runs great now. Thanks again for sharing that info mate.

Sunshine Fuels
4th January 2009, 08:52 PM
Yes, the Ford Courier is just a Mazda and I've been running my Mazda Bravo on mainly B50 bio BD since it was new. Has now done over 66,000km and the only problem I've had is with a dirty load of dino diesel, it gummed up the filter but after replacing it was still not running as it should. Friend of mine told me about the gauze filter under banjo bolt and I cleaned it and that was the end of the problem. Not all injector and filter problems are due to BD, there is a lot of dirty dino diesel out there. Anyway, it taught me the need to filter all my BD and to change filters regulary.
Peter

Thespice
25th January 2009, 02:52 PM
its amazing how much can get past the can filters i have found hair in my ip filter and i clean mine each 1000ks. all my bd is filtered thru a tp filter which does to .5 micron an still that ip filter gets crap in it. and make sure ya dont lose ya ip filter as ya cant buy em at all.

Tony From West Oz
26th January 2009, 10:35 PM
TheSpice
Toilet paper filters are known to "channel" where an path is formed through the filter medium and the fuel passes esily through the filter, resulting in effectively unfiltered or poorly filtered fuel to be used. This does not always occur, but could be the cause of your IP screen contamination.

They are excellent as a bypass oil filter, where it doesn't matter that unfiltered oil can pass thru it, (as they are often changed regularly to extend the oil change interval) but I would never rely on one as my primary fuel or oil filtration medium.

Regards,
Tony

Thespice
26th January 2009, 11:54 PM
TheSpice
Toilet paper filters are known to "channel" where an path is formed through the filter medium and the fuel passes esily through the filter, resulting in effectively unfiltered or poorly filtered fuel to be used. This does not always occur, but could be the cause of your IP screen contamination.

They are excellent as a bypass oil filter, where it doesn't matter that unfiltered oil can pass thru it, (as they are often changed regularly to extend the oil change interval) but I would never rely on one as my primary fuel or oil filtration medium.

Regards,
Tony
what other filters that are common are able to filter down that low. are those carbon water filter ones ok to use with bio

Tony From West Oz
27th January 2009, 01:37 AM
Most diesel fuel filters only filter to (at best) 5 micron. Vehicles built post 2000, with common rail or other high pressure injection systems may have filters to 1 micron.
Pre-filtering to 0.5 Micron is not justified unless you have a modern common rail or pump-deuse injection system.
Filter bags are available in the classifieds section of the forum in 1 and 5 micron ratings. They are also available on eBay. These will filter to the rated filtering capacity, with multiple passes of the fuel thru the filter.

I have tried to obtain finer filtering bags from my supplier, but 1 micron is the limit in this price range.

Regards,
Tony

algaeoil
27th January 2009, 10:02 PM
sounds like another trap to watch for when bio cleans the tank out and sends it into the fuel lines. i have another thing that may help someone one day. i know a guy that owns a holden rodeo and he rain bio through it from a servo. the car began missing. he took it to the workshop they said dont put bio in that car anymore.. they charged him over 600 bucks and sent him home and his car still missed. then he took a weedspayer and pumped pressure into his lines to check for leaks. sure enough his hose was leaking air into it as shown by it now dripping fuel under high pressure..he put on a new stainless screw tight hose clamp and it fixed the problem. little tips like this can save a lot of money and hassles.

algaeoil
27th January 2009, 10:12 PM
and tony, i use the 1 micron filter bags too, as a precaution. they go great. i think the cav filter i use are about 8 micron. funny thing was someone told me that a discovery has a 1 micron filter in some hard to find/get place and its 1 micron which was why i went with the 1 micron filter bag in the end.. however i was told that the people at the landrover workshop will sometimes just pull the 1 micron filter out because it isnt really needed to go so fine.
i think the factory fuel filters are 5 micron. sounds like a few cars have some finer filter that not so many are aware of.
it seems a tad strange that a car will have a 5 or 8 micron fuel filter and then a 1 micron somewhere further along the line. strange enough that they get overlooked when a problem occurs anyways.

05Rodeo
31st March 2009, 09:08 PM
Hi All

My 05 rodeo is doing the same thing now, has it got a Injector Pump filter somewhere as this may be the problem,,,,,,,?

cheers dave

davekenny47
9th December 2010, 04:25 PM
My sons Ford 1996 Dual Cab courier 4x4 is now fixed thanks to your post. Amazing how the bio fuel cleans up the tank and pipes and the canister filter doesn't capture the finer particles
Many Thanks

Graham
13th January 2011, 09:40 PM
I have a 2002 non turbo Hilux.And I got caught in the bush before I learnt about the pump strainer It cost a lot of money for an exchange pump but I got a bag of pieces and in it was this little strainer that had crap in it. Well now I know.
To take the strainer out you will need to file a taper on a suitable size bolt and gently screw it in by your fingers. No spanner. There is an O ring in there as well. To put it back use the bolt and feel the O ring click. Make sure the banjo bolt is the right way or you will get no fuel. Takes about 15 mins with a torch if you carry a spare clean strainer and spare washers.

tankthebiker1
19th October 2011, 09:03 AM
Hi, I have a PC Courier, it has a 2.5 litre deisel engine and it has a problem where it wont rev at all, it WILL idle but very roughly. Do you think this could be the same problem??? Thanks.

Webber2011
19th October 2011, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, newbie here.

I simply had to sign up and thank the OP for the information.
My daughter's boyfriend is here this morning.
He has this very same problem, and asked my advice.

I instantly blamed his fuel filter and we were about to buy a new one, but first I thought I'd google the symptoms and was then directed here.

10 minutes later the car is running like a dream :)

So many thanks guys, great Forum !

Cheers,
Simon

hobie1kanobie
19th October 2011, 04:11 PM
i think that most of the Bosch style pumps have that filter, mine does, 97 3L engine, had been the cause of a few hiccups.
now tho NO probs.been using BD for start up and Veg for main running, she's doing great guns.

bj4408
19th October 2011, 06:56 PM
Tank
Sounds like cleaning the filter might help you. Not sure about rough idling. One way to find out...
Hope it works.
regards
bj4408

Praf
2nd September 2015, 08:21 PM
Thank you for this post, saved me a some $$$.
where do I send the carton ;)

Praf