Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

My name is Malcolm and I am also a newby. With a few months of research and assistance from VegieCars in January this year I changed my Landcruiser HZJ75 to WVO.
    After getting so much willing advice from the VO community I feel that possibly I can be of some small help by recounting my experience with poor fuel flow.
    Basically the initial set up was a 2 tank system(original tanks),sedimenter, Facet posi-flow aux. pump,home made HE, CAV filter with sight glass (all under tray), lagged fuel and coolant lines to engine bay, Pollack 6 port valve and resistor wires on the injector lines.
    From about the second day on I had pathetic fuel flow at the IP. To cut a long story short I spent the next 3 months trying to rectify this by,
    increasing fuel line between tank and pump to 5/8"
    reducing pump head
    fitting larger pump (Gold Flow)
    installing a proper counter flow HE and
    adding up to 50% diesel (VO is cold filtered to 3u) to no avail.
    Two weeks ago I pulled the tank out to see if I could learn something by looking inside. Yes, a completely blocked strainer on the end of the fuel pick up. While the tank was out I had a coolant operated heater and 5/8" fuel pick up fitted.
    Needless to say it now runs like a bird, although I have a suspicion that the IP is a little worse for wear as a result of inadequate fuel flow.

Re: Hello

Hi Malcolm and welcome to the forum.

Pity you didn't discover this forum earlier as many here have had the same problem and could have steered you to the answer sooner. Upon a slowing of fuel delivery, I have rushed to change the pre filter, then the main filter and neglected the pick up filter in the tank - out of site out of mind. Experience is a good teacher but sometimes slow.

Biodiesel users often have the same problem with older vehicles as the BD cleans all the accumulated crud from the tank (wvo does too). It seems the first few tanks of BD dislodges smaller bits and changing line filters fixes the problem, then the bulk of the crud dislodges and blocks the pick up filter. Having solved the the fuel flow issue several times with line filters we are at a loss when our 'fix' doesn't work.

With initial uses of WVO the minute we thin the oil and the fuel starvation problem remains (assuming clean line filters), the tank pick up is (or should be) suspect. Ain't hindsight wonderful

Cheers, Michael

Comment

Re: Hello

Originally posted by hannahs bridge View Post
      My name is Malcolm and I am also a newby. With a few months of research and assistance from VegieCars in January this year I changed my Landcruiser HZJ75 to WVO.
      After getting so much willing advice from the VO community I feel that possibly I can be of some small help by recounting my experience with poor fuel flow.
      Basically the initial set up was a 2 tank system(original tanks),sedimenter, Facet posi-flow aux. pump,home made HE, CAV filter with sight glass (all under tray), lagged fuel and coolant lines to engine bay, Pollack 6 port valve and resistor wires on the injector lines.
      From about the second day on I had pathetic fuel flow at the IP. To cut a long story short I spent the next 3 months trying to rectify this by,
      increasing fuel line between tank and pump to 5/8"
      reducing pump head
      fitting larger pump (Gold Flow)
      installing a proper counter flow HE and
      adding up to 50% diesel (VO is cold filtered to 3u) to no avail.
      Two weeks ago I pulled the tank out to see if I could learn something by looking inside. Yes, a completely blocked strainer on the end of the fuel pick up. While the tank was out I had a coolant operated heater and 5/8" fuel pick up fitted.
      Needless to say it now runs like a bird, although I have a suspicion that the IP is a little worse for wear as a result of inadequate fuel flow.
      Welcome Malcolm. Good to hear your Toyota is happy now.
      I am rather new to this forum too, but I can assure these guys are excellent solving problems and providing info.

Regards
      gonzalo

Comment

Working...
      X