Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes E300D

Gday
    Has anyone had experience with one of these cars using b100 ??
    thanks caveman
    sigpic

Re: Mercedes E300D

I just got back from the States and tuned up my brother's 1978 300D. It is a model 123.

It ran slooowww for the last 5 years. It now runs just like any other vehicle on the road. He was previously going up one hill at 35-40 mph. Now it can zip up it at 55mph. He is also getting better mileage.

Four modifications were made.

1) turn the top screw on the injector (the altitude adjustment screw) all the way out.

2) take off the limiting screw on the throttle stop (at the back of the injector), remove the lock-nut and shorten the bolt about 5 threads. Then put in the bolt without the lock-nut on the bolt. When the bolt threads through the mount, place the lock-nut on the other side of the mount. This will allow the throttle to move farther. We screwed the bolt in all the way to increase the fuel flow as much as we could - we still didn't get any smoke on acceleration.

3) there was some slack in one of the throttle linkages caused by a slip-joint. We wound some fencing wire into the slip-joint to take up the slack and make it a solid linkage. It took about 6mm of slack out of the linkage. Now when he hits the throttle, the linkage moves (and gives more fuel flow).

4) the injection timing needed to be advanced. There are 3 bolts on the front of the pump and one at the rear. Take the clamps off the injector pipes to help with the movement of the pump. We also cracked the fittings to the pump to help with the movement. To advance the timing, you move the pump towards the engine. Mark the joint of the pump to the flange before you start adjusting so you have a reference point. You need two people, one to put some weight into the crowbar you will use to move the pump (put a block of wood between the pump and the bar), the other to tighten down a couple of bolts once the pump has shifted (the injector pipes want to push the pump back to the original posisiton). We only had to move the pump a couple of millimeters to get it in the ball park. The engine revs much better and requires much less throttle on the feeway.

It goes so well now that he is thinking of putting on pin-stripes and some of those crass decals of flames in the wheel wells.

Comment

Wow Terry, sounds interesting. I might give some of them a go on my recently acquired 300D. Mind you, it's got reasonable poke already, but I'm sure it could be improved.

Are these modifications (i.e. the timing advance) specifically for biodiesel? Are they "tried and tested" and won't wreck the engine?

Two other things I am intending to do are valve adjustment and a diesel purge. Have you thought about doing this too?
      Sean

Comment

Originally posted by pangit View Post
        Wow Terry, sounds interesting. I might give some of them a go on my recently acquired 300D. Mind you, it's got reasonable poke already, but I'm sure it could be improved.
        I was considering buying one of these a while back until I drove it. Most gutless thing I've ever driven - wouldn't pull the skin off a custard. Those mods sound good, although I made enquiries about a Turbo - found a bloke who said he could do it for about 4.5K
        1990 HZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd View Post
          e.

1) turn the top screw on the injector (the altitude adjustment screw) all the way out.

2) take off the limiting screw on the throttle stop (at the back of the injector), remove the lock-nut and shorten the bolt about 5 threads. Then put in the bolt without the lock-nut on the bolt. When the bolt threads through the mount, place the lock-nut on the other side of the mount. This will allow the throttle to move farther. We screwed the bolt in all the way to increase the fuel flow as much as we could - we still didn't get any smoke on acceleration.
          Hello Terry,

Do you have any links to any more info about these adjustments ?
          I haven't heard of the altitude adjustment screw which I take it you mean on the pump not the injector itself. I'm not sure that my car even has this. Virtually every 300D I have seen has something different about the pump, even cars of the same year. Mine is a dec '78 and has the most basic pump layout I have seen so far.

I was thinking of adjusting the limiting screw on the throttle but when I read up on hotting up these cars the info I got was to pull the back off the pump and adjust the fuel limit screw to give the thing more fuel that way. Apparently there is quite a bit more power to be had with this mod.
          On my car the oil filter housing is right behind the pump cover so I wanted to take the housing off to change the setting. Given that I went to about 5 tool places this morning looking for a set of allen key sockets and couldn't find anything under $75 and no one seems to stock the gasket between the block and the filter housing, I may try my luck ( and undoubtedly patience) and try to do the mod with the filter housing in place.

I was pretty happy with shaving 2 seconds of my 0-60 KM/h with my methanol/water injection setup but I would like to have a similar improvement in acceleration using just the regular fuel. The extra power really does make driving the car a lot more enjoyable.

Marki,
          There are some great videos on You-tube of turbo Mercs laying rubber half way down a strip. There is a 123, a 124 and the another is a 190.The 190D turbos seem to respond well to hotting up with just a bigger turbo and an intercooler. They all tend to belch clouds of black smoke out the exhaust which looks pretty cool. ( * Don's Kevlar Helmet and dives into bunker before greenies start full frontal assult*)

It's a good job I'm not a hoon like some of the younger crowd otherwise I'd be having dellusions of a 40+ yo man pulling up at the lights in a 30 yo Merc and blowing the doors off some pimply faced kids in their sub woofer equipped Rice Burners at the lights.

Luckily I can still live out that fantasy courtesy of a hotted up Harley

Comment

David, I'm not a Merc mechanic unfortunately. I just took a look at my brother's vehicle and went from there. If you had access to a Merc shop manual it might have the information you want.

The altitude compensator is a pot on top of his injection pump. When you back out the screw it relieves the pre-load on the internal diaphram. The diaphram expands as the vehicle rises in altitude and pushes down a metering rod that leans out the mixture. I recognised the pot from some research I did on the 'boost compensator' that is on my Toyota 2LT. Both the Toyota and the Merc have Bosch pumps and I figured they were similarly constructed.

Even with my brother running B100 the injection pump was still retarded in timing. The slight bit of advance we put in the timing really helped the throttle response.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd View Post
              Just an FYI for other people. The Australian spec (or at least the pre-1980) cars don't appear to have this fitted.
              Sean

Comment

Working...
              X