Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat Leon 1.9 TDI - What, if anything's needed to run it on biodiesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Leon 1.9 TDI - What, if anything's needed to run it on biodiesel?

Hi All

I new to biodiesel and find it all a bit confusing. I've just got a seat Leon TDI and I want to run it on something greener. And cheaper.

What are my options? It has a fuel preheater and says it's ready to run on RME or something.

How hard really it making biodiesel and can i just bung half a tank of cooking oil in when i fill up?

Thanks

Ian

Re: Seat Leon 1.9 TDI - What, if anything's needed to run it on biodiesel?

The Seat Leon is not available here in Australia, so you might get a better specific response asking on a UK or European forum.

If your owners manual says it's OK to run on RME (Rapeseed Methyl Ester, that is, a type of Biodeisel), well there you go, it's fine for Biodiesel!

As for just trying to "Bung in some cooking oil" and see how it goes, well yes your car will run on it, but long term there can be issues with Unconverted Cooking Oil causing coking of the engine and gumming of the injectors. Conversion to a Methyl Ester removes the greases and less readily combustible components from the oil and makes it a cleaner burning fuel causing no long term damage to your engine.
    Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Thanks for that. I didn't even realise this wasn't a Uk one at the time (I quickly followed bookmark without reading anything this time).

Looks like I best start making some boidesiel then!!

Comment

TDIClub Forums

It's an American based forum, but your engine is very similar, if not the same as the ones in their Volkswagens. It's a great source for all things TDI related and the amount of information these guys have is tremendous. It even has a dedicated section for biodiesel, so you better get cracking.

Comment

Actually, you are better off than those TDIclub guys or us! Your Seat with its VW 1.9 TDI has the "biodiesel-ready" factory mods that VW keep hitting us over the head with, saying that the rest of us can't use bio without them. So go for it!
          ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Hi all,

It sounds like we have identical cars. Did you ever try running on Veg Oil without conversion? Did it work? Have you had any adverse effects?

I'm thinking about giving it a try so I would be very grateful for your experiences!

Thanks,
            James

Comment

Working...
            X