Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Bio Diesel

Hi All,
    Here is and interesting photo of some Green Bio Diesel.

First the one on the LEFT - Made from Fish and Chip shop oil, Canola used for 1 week titrated at 5.

MIDDLE one - Cotton Seed oil from Fish and Chip shop unknown length of use, I suspect well used, titrated at 6.

RIGHT hand one - Lady where I work gave me 2 litres of oil from her home deep fryer - Olive Oil, tritated at 1, separation was good, 440 ml meth, glycerine 580 ml, 1.870 lt bio diesel, 5% (120ml) prewash, and bubbled over night. I know the figures aren't quite right but I loose a little separating the glys from the Bio.

In all the pictures on the web I have never seen Green Bio Diesel before any comments good or bad would be welcome.

Regards
    John H

Last edited by John H; 17 January 2010, 10:49 AM.

Re: Green Bio Diesel

The wikipedia page on biodiesel seems to have green biodiesel as well!

Biodiesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

It would make sense that the biodiesel be the same colour as the feedstock oil, I think.

Olive oil is green, so therefore biodiesel made from olive oil would also be green.

Comment

if whatever was colouring the oil, is more soluble in organics than polar liquids it would logically follow that they would remain in the ester layer. what ends up in the glycerol layer may also be colouring agents in from the oil (albeit more polar ones) but it could also contain colouring agents that were once non-polar, but that reacted and became more polar in the process.
        Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

Hi All,
          Thanks everyone for the information, I hadn't seen Green Bio before, there is a lot of interesting stuff on the Wikipedia site.

Regards
          John H

Comment

yep, it's pretty good. Just remember with all stuff you find on the internet, it pays to do some follow-up research using published papers or books, as at times the information can be unreliable (wikipedia isn't too bad tho. A lot of my colleagues use it whilst studying and doing assignments. lol Saves on referencing too!)
            Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

I, too would've expected the bio to be the same colour as the feedstock. For example, I'd never seen really yellow bio, until I began using the drippings from the chicken rotisserie thing at one of the chip shops.

By the way, chicken fat makes really nice bio, which always seems to titrate at 1...

Justin

Comment

I already like your jar collection and I think it is a great idea to keep a sample from the different oil stocks that you process.
                George

Comment

That's one of the coolest things I've seen relating to biodiesel! I wonder how the smell would differ on these three batches?

Comment

Working...
                  X