Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Exchangers

Has anybody used one of these HE, it off ebay?? $160
    eBay Australia: ChillOut Wort Chiller and Heat Exchanger beer home brew (item 170110529448, end time 20-May-07 06:35:33 AEST)
    clackdwack
    Last edited by clackdwack; 13 May 2007, 05:47 PM. Reason: Pictyres

Re: Heat Exchangers

Yep, most of us have used or are using something similar, if we use anything at all. Check out this post

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...onversion.html

cheers, Michael

Comment

Mashmaster ran out of this heat exchanger and now they have the new style listed on ebay.

This new style is not good for vegy conversion because the 4 barbs fixed to the body of the heat exchnger are all the same size 3/8'' - This size may be okay for vegy oil but not for heater hoses. Yes you can put a reducer but coolant will be restricted.

In my conversion I have used the old style and I fitted 5/8'' barbs for coolant in and out and fitted 1/2'' barb for vegy in let and 3/8'' for vegy out let. I believe this is the way to go.

Cheers
      Fitian
      <><

Comment

i just thought i would put a few pix up of how i pump oil through filters, its probably a bit dangerous, but im only using 8psi pressure in a 44 drum.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...k/DSC00002.jpg
        http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...k/DSC00004.jpg
        http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...k/DSC00005.jpg

Comment

Do you use this filtered oil in your tank or do you pour it into filter bag after the CAV filter?
          Fitian
          <><

Comment

this goes straight into the tank for use, i dont have any bags to filter it, this CAV filter is 5 micron so i would say thats it pretty good. I only pre filter it once i collect the oil, its filtered through a stocking, then through the CAV.

Comment

Do you have another CAV filter in the fuel line before the engine? If you do not then this is a little risky on your injectors.

You are better off using filter bags at home and CAV filter in the car.

Search for filter bags on e-bay you'll find many to choose from.
              Fitian
              Was here
              Last edited by Fitian; 14 May 2007, 07:42 PM. Reason: Not sure why
              Fitian
              <><

Comment

the oil gets filtered 3 times before it gets to the engine, i filter the wvo, after i collect it, by a bed sheet over a 44, then goes through the CAV filter, then through another CAV filter in the engine bay. I think this should be sufficiant.
                cheers mike

Comment

Yes it should be enough.

How long does it take you to filter 20 litres? Just wondering
                  Fitian
                  <><

Comment

It usualy takes about 20-25 minutes to filter 20 litres, i would put more pressure through the 44 drum, but i dont know how much it could take i dont really want to blow my head off just yet and have a shed full of oil LOL......

Do you know how much a 44 can take pressure wise??????????

Comment

Originally posted by clackdwack View Post
                      It usualy takes about 20-25 minutes to filter 20 litres, i would put more pressure through the 44 drum, but i dont know how much it could take i dont really want to blow my head off just yet and have a shed full of oil LOL......

Do you know how much a 44 can take pressure wise??????????

I would not have a clue. I never used your method.

I collect my oil and coarse filter it then leave to settle. After that I pour it into filter bags at night. In the morning I collect crestal clear oil with no sweat. I filter 40 - 60 litres per night using 4 filter bags . This way I do not spend more that 15 minutes in the garage.
                      Fitian
                      <><

Comment

cool, sounds good and very Efficient way of filtering, i have another important question??, would you recomend running 2 fuel pumps or one for both veg and diesel, i was thinking of running one pump before the HE, but i dont know what will happen to the diesel at those temperatures, if its pumped through it.

any suggestions

thanks mike

Comment

pix of first filter cycleing system, little jar of oil is filtered to 5 micron, the others are course filtered.
                          http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...k/DSC00009.jpg
                          http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC00005-1.jpg
                          http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC00004-1.jpg
                          http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSC00002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by clackdwack View Post
                            i have another important question??, would you recomend running 2 fuel pumps or one for both veg and diesel, i was thinking of running one pump before the HE, but i dont know what will happen to the diesel at those temperatures, if its pumped through it.

any suggestions

thanks mike
                            I do not know how strong is your fuel pump. In my set up the pump is located after the 6 port valve - so it is pumping either diesel or vegy.

The other part of your question is related to the way you'll set up your conversion. Will you share the same filter for both diesel and vegy? If so then you will be using the heat exchanger before the filter and diesel will get heated too. Not a big deal because you can always add some vegy oil to the diesel for extra lubrication.

If you use separate filters then you can set up the pump after the valve - this way you'll use the heat exchanger before the vegy filter only.
                            Fitian
                            <><

Comment

clackdwack
                              As you have a Toyota Hilux, I presume that your IP is a rotary one, which normally does not have an external fuel pump.

In this case, you can have a heater before the veggie filter and select the fuel before the IP. You will need to take care with your fuel filters and hoses, to ensure a good air-tight seal, otherwise, air leaks can cause problems.
                              If you plan to add a fuel pump, you could add one to each fuel line, before it's filter.

Can you please either describe your cfuel system configuration or post a diagram of it to allow us to make educated guesses and advice which is relevant to your conversion.
                              In my '84 300D, the fuel pump is before the filter and I switch the fuel after the filter and the return line from the IP to the main (start) tank or loop for veggie. On my '81 (with '78 engine), I have 2, 6 port valves, to allow the stock fuel pump to be used with both fuels, switching it between filters and switching the filters and return lines also.
                              Im my conversions, I have maintained the filters at positive pressure, to avoid air ingress issues.

Tony
                              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                              X