landcruiser 80 series injector pump repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landcruiser 80 series injector pump repairs

hi every one. i have a 1991 landcruiser with a badly leaking injector pump. can anyone suggest repair options. can the average mechanical skilled person do this. do you have any suggestions for a reasonable cost workshop or mechanic. BTW i use freedom fuels B20 and it seems ok.

regards
    david

Re: landcruiser 80 series injector pump repairs

David, the badly leaking is due to ultra low sulphur diesel and its affect on the seals, as for doing it yourself I don't think so.

I would contact Brisbane Diesel at Springwood (down near the old IKEA) and ask them about doing the job, they are not the cheapest but do good work and particulalry important is DEMANDING that you get viton seals put in after its overhauled. Brisbane Diesel will do this as standard but ask them anyway.

I say overhauled since yours is now 16 years old its about time it has some adjustment and wear and tear fix ups. Your injectors could do with looking at as well, age is as bad as mileage. You will find good info in the forum on the 80 series and biodiesel look at the top two topics, making and using it. Injectots is something you can do yourself, I have done them on my old (sold) 93 1Hz.

I run a 1998 80 series turbo diesel and I know of 60 series, 1HZ 93, 1HDT 95 and others running straight biodiesel. Ask away but I think a better place will be in the sections I mentioned above.

Matt (in brisbane too)
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 23 May 2007, 07:40 PM.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      David, the badly leaking is due to ultra low sulphur diesel and its affect on the seals, as for doing it yourself I don't think so.
      I'm pretty sure mine started leaking after a stint of a too high oil/fuel ratio. Suddenly started leaking when I returned to regular bd/diesel blends. I'll never do that again.

Might be worth asking what the history of he IP is? I'll stand corrected if its had nothign but petro diesel in it.
      Joe Morgan
      Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
      http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
      SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

thanks very much for your good information and for taking the time to reply. i had found the diesel recon firm through web searchs. i like their site , seem very experienced and qualified etc. i expect it to cost around a $1000.

BTW i degreased the IP and areas around it so i could do a good visual inspection. I can see the leak at the inside of the IP at the top of a blanking plate on the IP body. It is secured by two hex nuts, there is no way physically to tighten those two nuts with the IP in place . I bought a "Gregory's Land Cruiser " manual at super auto cheap at Taringa for $29 (on special) and it explained the proceedure for removal and replacement of the IP. after reading it i believe it is beyong my mechanical skills.

i intend to try to seal the leak with some metal bond as an interim measure. wish me luck !!!

Comment

For what its worth $1000 is a starting point if there is no wear and parts don;t need replacing. Seals will cost a bit but insist on Vition seals, DO NOT accept toyota seals despite whats said about them.

As for the upper seal I think this is most likely the only one you could do yourself, and its a classic Low Sulphur fuel failure point as I know and have heard.

Run the 80 on biodiesel and do it a favour but mind you at its age the tank will be foul with gunge and you will need a cheaper fuel filter to cope with the crap/varnishes/tar etc get yourself a CAV filter and go B100. Oh and learn how to change the filter while your at it.
          Matt
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

If it is the plate on the inside of the injector pump, that slide off due to gravity if not for the bolts holding it on, it is the one I have replaced twice on my 80 series. (there was a discussion in the SVO section under "landcruiser with issues" or similar)

The job to remove it and replace the seal is not overly difficult, but fiddly and time consuming. And you need a puller to pop the pump out. I used a steering wheel puller, which I braced with angle iron.

The seal when you get to it can be replaced with an O ring, I put a seccond hand seal in it from when my injector pump was rebuilt. (as I knew I would get no warranty, I asked for all parts they replaced)

The seal had been damaged by air in the oil. If you are using a CAV type filter, it may be the cause of the problems, as they can leak air in. After replacing mine for a toyoa one, no more problems.

Another possible solution is ask a mechanic to remove and replace the pump, and only replace the seal.
            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
            X