Newbie moving to Tassie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie moving to Tassie

Just got a new 307 2L XSE Touring Pug which i want to run on Biodiesel (B30 to start off with). Just got the car and set to use SAFF in Adelaide before being offered a job back home in Tassie.

Just wondering how the scene is in the Hobart area, are there any suppliers of quality Biodiesel, or do i have to get into making it myself (which i would be capable if i put my mind to it). If so what are source availability like in tassie.

Before you say it, no i havnt done much searching on Tassie yet, but thought that id introduce myself first and just couldnt help the qns.

Cheers

Re: Newbie moving to Tassie

Welcome and Hi.

Ok, time for the bad news as far as my perspective goes.

1. I know of no biodiesel suppliers in Tasmania.

2. The position of home brewers is nowhere near as good as the mainland.

The supply of WVO is extremely limited. A few largish recyclers pretty much have it sewn up what is a small supply to start with.. Most BDers that have good supplies have an inside interest... or are lucky. Apparently one of the recyclers sells WVO by the drum for $80 or so.

Methanol is no longer sold in the Hobart area. Nearest place is apparently Launceston.

But welcome back mate... and good luck.

Comment

Cheers for that, its unfortunate.
      I was wondering what the WVO from shops on the east coast was as i will be there every couple of weeks.

Comment

I guess the only way to find out will be to ask.

Comment

Hi Robinski, as Kamel says, things are pretty tight down here, a company called Johnsons travels that state collecting oil and they are inclined to take even someone else's supplies, not nice people at all and very abusive. I believe he charges 80c a lt for oil.

As for methanol, you can get it from a company called Motosport in Moonah Hobart in 20 or 200lt drums. They are in the phone book and are in a transport depot, you have to ring him first as he is out and about.

Welcome to Tas, the chip mill state.

Comment

Originally posted by Alga View Post

Welcome to Tas, the chip mill state.
            So it is no longer called the blue carrot state as it was when i was last living there.

Cant wait to get back, it feels soo much like home when i am there.

Comment

Working...
            X