Transfer pump anf filter hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer pump anf filter hoses

Hi can anyone tell me the type of hoses needed for WVO I have been informed that heater hoses go soggy. The clear plastic hoses go hard. I would prefer clear hoses as I can see what I am pumping. Thanks

Re: Transfer pump anf filter hoses

Deedyau,
    I have always used nitrile rubber fuel hoses for biodiesel and veggie oil. I have a longrun fromthe veggie tank in the boot and in one car, I used garden hose and on the other I used nylon air line. It is translucent and you can see bubbles thru it. It is not very flexible and cannot be tightened down onto fittings, but can withstand the pressure of a hose clamp securing fuel line to it. So I use fuel hose to terminate it to the valves, filters and tank fittings.

The garden hose has lasted around 3 years with no issues. It is NOT suitable for biodiesel!

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

The clear Vinyl / plastic hose is a complete pain in the butt to work with. It kinks very easily and collapses when on the draw side of the pump which cuts off flow.

I have been using the reinforced type clear hose which overcomes these problems and is still transparent enough to see what is going through them to a degree. I was thinking of inserting a clear perspex tube to see what was going through but have found this to be unessacary for where I pick up my oil.

I use 3/4'" hose as I checked out the 1" and found it to be stiffer than I wanted to coil up easily in my car boot. With the pump I have and the clear hose I can still pump 25L of oil in under a minute which is quite satisfactory for my needs.

I have only been using this hose for about 2 months but so far it shows no sign of hardening or deterioation.

Comment

Similarly I use the 3/4" reinforced clear tube for the suction side of my pump, which is a bit over 2m. On the outlet, which is longer I am using a quality black hose which I think has a nitrile inner - I was told it was good for anything. Since it doesn't need to be clear this is perfect and should never need to be replaced.

I am not sure how long the clear will last (18 months so far), but with a short length I can replace it when it gets too stiff. The only fault with it is that it has a memory of the barbed plug in the end, where-as the nitrile one does not. It is still easy to work with otherwise.

For my pump I purchased a hydraulic gear pump from the US for about $40 (including shipping to a friend in the US), which I think was an absolute bargain, as it is rated to pump 76L/min at 3000rpm. It is has a 3/4" shaft which I mounted a pully and run it with a 240V motor via a belt. Since it is only used at home I mounted it on a bit of 3/8" plate and attached it to base or a Bunnings furniture trolley. I then welded 6 200mm bits of flat bar, with ends folded over, to the trolley so the hose could be rolled up and stored there. A large filter is mounted on the outside, in front of the wheel, so it can be changed with a bucket sitting under it and keep everything else clean.
        Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 1990 VX Ltd - 12HT powered- diesel for run-in period (no longer 1HDT).
        190L vege oil LR tank and 90L diesel, Vormax, 30 plate FPHE, two automated 3-way ball valves with delay to prevent mixing on purge.

Comment

this is the hose use plastic reinforced nylon hose

Comment

My garden hose on the 300D died after about 2 years. I think it split (well it was split, but I may have split it removing it.) Mind you being a bit dodgy, I used cheap garden hose, not good garden hose.
            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I was told by the owner of the workshop that services our company vehicles that anything labelled "fuel hose" nowadays will be nitrile rubber, unless otherwise stated. So even the cheap stuff is nitrile rubber. This is because it has to cope with ethanol and all sorts of fuel additives. I'm not sure the same is true for heater hose. However oil hose is OK too. I've used oil hose for my supply lines without a problem.

Clark Rubber have a good range of hoses...

I only have one small 15cm section of clear hose from the liftpump to the IP just so I can check for bubbles. It "sets" hard after about 3 months and when it becomes opaque it is easily replaced.
              Cheers
              Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
              1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
              1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Originally posted by bruceT View Post
                I was told by the owner of the workshop that services our company vehicles that anything labelled "fuel hose" nowadays will be nitrile rubber, unless otherwise stated. So even the cheap stuff is nitrile rubber.

Clark Rubber have a good range of hoses...
                You raise something I have been wondering about Bruce. I see people are looking to import all sorts of expensive fuel line supposedly because Bio proof hose isn't available here, but I have been wondering about the stuff clark's sell which seems to be fine on my car.

I use limited amounts of straight Bio, but I have been using 50% blends for about 6 months and have so far seen no sign of sweating or breakdown.
                I can't help but wonder if this hose Clark's sell, being a fuel rated hose, isn't as good as anything else?

It also occours to me that even if the stuff "only" lasts 12 months, at $6 a meter, would it really be such a big thing to change it every year as regular maintainence anyway?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the reinforced clear hose. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by deedyau View Post
                    Thanks for the advice. I'll try the reinforced clear hose. Cheers
                    Maybe test it in hot water first. If it goes soft and kinks when you bend it, be careful where you use it
                    Cheers
                    Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
                    1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
                    1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

i have used every diff kind of hose that happens to be cluttering up my shed
                      some black rubber hoses have become the most yukky soft hand blackening things you could imagine
                      through immeadiate need some time ago i started useing black dripper hose
                      seems to work a treat[though not transparrent,if you pump it through filters etc i dont see the piont of transparency, i mean its like sticking your head under the car while driving along so you could keep an eye on a transparent fuel line, WHY ]
                      all fittings are cheap and readilly available, seems to stand preasure and heat ok, though you may have probs on suction side. for me holding tanks are slightly above the level of my pump so have had no trouble on suction hoses collapsing
                      aprox. 20,000 ltr oil filtered so far
                      dagwill
                      Last edited by dagwill; 22 June 2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Polythene reticulation fittings do seem to be biodiesel resistant. They do suffer at temperatures above around 40 - 60 °C which makes them less suitable for biodiesel processors where these temperatures are the norm.

Come to think about it, under hood temperatures of 80°C are common in cars with peaks of 110°C being achieved in summer.

You may be fine in winter, but take care in summer, you may have a fire, just waiting to happen!
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by deedyau View Post
                          Hi can anyone tell me the type of hoses needed for WVO I have been informed that heater hoses go soggy. The clear plastic hoses go hard. I would prefer clear hoses as I can see what I am pumping. Thanks
                          Sometimes the nylon hose is with good resistant to oil and the working pressure is high.
                          What's more, the pu hose, polyurethane ester hose is with good resistant to water and oil too, so you have to kindly decided about the size of the hose.
                          If large than 1'', have to be metal helix reinforced and so on...
                          A lot of details

Comment

Working...
                          X