Fuel tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tanks

There's been a lot of talk about the effects metal tanks may and do have on BD and WVO. I had ordered a 300 lt steel tank for my triton ute but after reading the problems with them I cancelled it and looked around for an alternative. After much searching and asking questions I've come up with this company in Queensland

www.atlastanks.com.au

They have quoted me for a 280 lt plastic tank to my specifications for what I consider a reasonable price, compared to what I could get a steel one built for. Its made from food grade materials and I hope to get is delivered within the month. They state a 25 day manufacturing time. They have a large range of standard a diesel tanks, so if anyone is looking for a tank made to their specifications, then this maybe the place to get it. Other than that, does anyone have any other ideas to get tanks made to fit.

When I get if installed, I will post some photo's of the set up, which should take us a few thousand klms without refuelling, when we travel over to maniac land later this year.
    Alga
    Last edited by Alga; 20 June 2007, 12:06 PM.

Re: Fuel tanks

Originally posted by Alga View Post
    There's been a lot of talk about the effects metal tanks may and do have on BD and WVO. I had ordered a 300 lt steel tank for my triton ute but after reading the problems with them I cancelled it...
    Hi Alga

Your steel tank would be OK if coated inside with POR15. But I like the look of their diesel tanks and they do custom jobs. Mmmm
    Cheers
    Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
    1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
    1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Finally after 6 days of constant rain, sleet, a bit of snow and cold conditions, down to -5 and up to 5-9 most days, the sun has come out, it's warmed up and I've had a chance to get back into my shed to do a bit more filtering and make so BD. However a strange thing has occurred and could be related to the problems people are having with metal tanks. I've got oil that's been settling for more than 6 months and all the oil in the steel drums has virtually solidified (like clag), even recently collected oil. But the oil in plastic containers hasn't and I can still pour off the clean oil. I put this down to the metal absorbing the cold, whilst the plastic actually insulates the oil to a degree. As 90% of all my oil is cotton seed, I don't see cotton seed oil as being the problem. My mustard seed oil from the Indian restaurant is still thin and easily poured (in plastic tubs), as is my own grown mustard seed oil.

My samples of various blends have also changed, those containing BD when shaken, all have white slimy streaks in them, which disappear when the blends settle. The blends with just ULP and filtered oil, are still very clear and show no signs of clouding or streaking. Presently I'm transferring a tin of clag into a plastic container to see what happens to it. Because of past experiences, I don't see this as a problem in warmer climates, as this has been the coldest winter we've had since I started mucking round with oils. Anyone got any ideas on this.

Comment

oh Tazzy sounds cold, im up in Qld and i have a sample of BD an i also have cloudy streaks sitting on the bottom, its been quiet cold up here to about 6-9 during the night. i would guess that is collecting moisturein the bottle as soon as i heat it up it dissapears.

Comment

I doubt that your cloudy streaks are due to moisture.
          The fact that they disappear when heated indicates that some biodiesel is solidifying in your sample.

Here is a test:
          Heat your biodiesel up until the cloudy streaks disappear. Bubble air thru the warm biodiesel for an hour to give any moisture the best opportunity to evaporate. Close the container to prevent moisture entering the container, but do not seal it (to stop a vacuum forming in the container).

Allow the sample to cool overnight to the same temperatures as were experienced when the cloudy streaks were seen.

Examine the biodiesel. If cloudy streaks have returned, they are high melting point biodiesel. If not, then it was moisture in the biodiesel which caused the streaks.

In general, moisture in biodiesel would cause the biodiesel to all be cloudy.

Regards,
          Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

There's been a lot of talk about the effects metal tanks may and do have on BD and WVO. I had ordered a 300 lt steel tank for my triton ute but after reading the problems with them I cancelled it and looked around for an alternative. After much searching and asking questions I've come up with this company in Queensland

www.atlastanks.com.au

They have quoted me for a 280 lt plastic tank to my specifications for what I consider a reasonable price, compared to what I could get a steel one built for. Its made from food grade materials and I hope to get is delivered within the month. They state a 25 day manufacturing time. They have a large range of standard a diesel tanks, so if anyone is looking for a tank made to their specifications, then this maybe the place to get it. Other than that, does anyone have any other ideas to get tanks made to fit.

When I get if installed, I will post some photo's of the set up, which should take us a few thousand klms without refuelling, when we travel over to maniac land later this year.
            Just out of interest, how much were they after for the tank?

Comment

Rasteve, $675 +GST, $80 +GST for delivery, that's for a 280 lt tankl It comes with fuel return, fuel feed outlet, breather and 4 inch filler and is made out of 6 mm welded food grade polyethylene. I'm just waiting for them to inform me as to what baffle system they use. I look forward to it arriving and to finally setting up the system. I've asked to have the outlet and return line to be on opposite sides, to reduce the chance of bubbles getting into the fuel feed line.

Tony my slimy white streaks don't sit on the bottom and only appear when the jars are shaken, then they disappear as the blend settles. So I'm inclined to think the are FFA's that haven;t converted, as I don't tritate my BD, this could be why it's happening. I'm still trying to find out why my cotton seed oil has gone hard. But as the the temp has warmed up over the last two days, I think it may be some sort of reaction with the metal. I've transferred some into a plastic drum and had to remove a top layer of thick grey green crud after it settled in the plastic drum Now the oil is starting to separate into layers, so I tend to think I will need to remove all my long term settling oil from the metal tins and put it into plastic 200 lt drums or a 1000 lt cubes and filter it before settling and then again after.

Comment

i have just bought a tank off atlastanks too, its a 130litre tank. i am only using it as a storage tank on the back of my ute, so when i go on long trips i dont have to go anywhere near a servo. i can just fill my main tank up. i bought it for $285 + $40 Delivery. Quite good considering making a stainless or alloy tank would probably be twice the price.

Comment

Hi clackdwak, my tank is long and sits in between the wheel wells and covers the entire tray, I'm putting a false floor above it. What shape is your tank, I live in Tas, so I expect that's the reason for the higher delivery charge, well I hope so anyway. I may have to ask why my tank being twice the size as yours, but nearly 3 times the price, is your price including GST. Still its much cheaper than a steel one.

Comment

yeah my price is GST included, i would say that the reason your postage is so high is that Atlastanks is based in QLD, and im only about 500km away from them. My diamensions are 1200mm x 380mm x 280mm, my ute has a tray back, so its going right up behind the cab, 130 litres plus my main tank 55Litres should get atleast 1500km out of her.

Comment

oh alga, i forgot my tank is not custom made, it is one of the standard size tanks they supply, if yours is custom, thats probably why its 3 times the price.

Comment

www.atlastanks.com.au

Rasteve, $675 +GST, $80 +GST for delivery, that's for a 280 lt tankl It comes with fuel return, fuel feed outlet, breather and 4 inch filler and is made out of 6 mm welded food grade polyethylene. I'm just waiting for them to inform me as to what baffle system they use. I look forward to it arriving and to finally setting up the system. I've asked to have the outlet and return line to be on opposite sides, to reduce the chance of bubbles getting into the fuel feed line.
                        I know it's been a while but what happened with the tank? Did you get it?
                        Do they fit baffles? My guess is that they don't as they advertise:
                        "Our range of diesel fuel tanks are one piece moulded. The material used is specifically formulated for use in diesel tank applications. Typically the wall thickness is 10mm. The size of the tank and the fitting locations are fixed." and "Where you have a need for a specific size or shape tank which you use regularly (about 10 per year) we offer our O.E.M. service of custom-made moulded tanks. Custom-made moulded tanks represent outstanding value and convenience." I don't see how they can fit baffles to a (blow or roto) moulded tank. Their tanks appear to be aimed at the marine market and marine fuel tanks generally don't have baffles. I would have ordered a 'long ranger' 180 litre rear tankfor my troopy but they quoted a 7 week wait so I didn't. Then I read all this about problems with steel tanks so I am glad I didn't place the order. Perhaps a plastic tank from atlas would be the best option for me. I would be interested to hear how Alga and clackdwak got on.

Comment

www.atlastanks.com.au

Hi guys,
                          I was just looking through the forum in regards to tanks. I got my tanks from wrengcotanks in sydney. There tanks are made of 10mm thick high density polyethylene. They specialize in custom tanks with all neccesary fittings, suction tubes, return lines and guages. They also make blackwater, freshwater and greywater tanks. website for those interested is www.wrengcotanks.com.au
                          WORTH CONTACTING !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X