Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer/Tropical Blends

Howdy from a newby,

I'm a big believer in keeping things simple. I'm in the process of picking up a used TDI VW Bug and want to run on blended WCO / petro-diesel preferably with out the two fuel system; if this tack isn't practical, well guess I'll bite the bullet and
    install a duel fuel system.

I live in a tropical environment - days are 30deg, every day and nights rarely go below 25 deg.

Is it practical to go with: for example; an 80 wco / 20 petro-diesel mix without a duel-fuel system?

on a side note, just set up an Indian listeroid generator that I want to do something similar with.

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Summer/Tropical Blends

About the only blend I haven't tried is with regular Petro/ Dino Diesel but I don't see why there would be any problems at these temps with this mix.

I have used ULP quite a bit and believe you would find a 10% mix quite adequate at those temps.

The measure I use of a blends suitability, is the ease of starting. If a blend allows an engine to start easily, then I take it to be sufficently thinned to allow the engine to run without problem.

Comment

Thanx for the prompt, informative response.

Being somewhat new to this whole process and sounding ignorant, (which I fully admit too, thats why I'm here ) what is the meaning of ULP ?

Cheers

Comment

99Bug,
        ULP is acronym for UnLeaded Petrol -or in US forums, RUG (Regular Unleaded Gasoline).

A word of caution on the Listroid. I have been told that they frequently have a lot of casting sand in them. A complete disassembly, thorough clean out and reassembly will reveal any problems of this nature. If you also measure ring clearances and bearing clearances (plastigauge) tou will have confidence of the condition of the engine before you start using it.

Engines which are used at constant RPM or constant loads, tend to coke up, or glaze the bores, even when used on diesel. This becomes worse on biodiesel or diesel/veggie blends, or even on well designed veggie oil systems. Any generator or marine diesel should be operated at full load for at least 1 hour in 24, to give it a chance to burn off the coke and by significantly changing the rhythm of the engine, decrease the possibility of bore glazing.

25 years ago, I was on a gas pipeline project where they used listers, fitted with spark plugs and gas carburettors to provide power. They were fitted with a timer operated "full load", which performed this function on those engines. Commercial enterprises do not do this unless it has been proven to extend the life of the engine.

You should consider using similar techniques to protect your listeroid.

Regards,
        Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony,

Thanks for the invaluable info.

I carried out a reasonable inspection of my listeroid, tearing down to the crank and found no casting sand, but found the cylinder finish somewhat glazed so re-honed (de-glazed) the cylinders and re-assembled the engine to specs.

Cheers,

Comment

better to be sure.
            I am sure that you will get a long and reliable service from it.

Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
            X