PDA

View Full Version : Northern Beaches Biofuel Users

Cameron
26th June 2007, 04:57 PM
Hi folks,
Although I started up the Lower North Shore Biofuel Users as a loose social/support network a while back I have now moved house (hopefully for a LONG time!) to the Northern Beaches.

Who would like to have a catch up and work with me to set up a Northern Beaches Biofuel Users Group?

Cheers,
Cameron

ps I am still happy to turn up for a catch up with the Lower North Shore crew but I will have to leave the organising of any get togethers to the others. The last one was fun.

Milhouse
27th June 2007, 12:00 AM
I am on the NB, Let me know what needs doing.

Milhouse

pangit
27th June 2007, 11:10 AM
I'm in Berowra which is close enough for a meeting in the Northern Beaches somewhere. I'd be keen to meet up one weekend.

Cameron
27th June 2007, 11:50 AM
OK all it requires as far as I am concerned is for us to pick a day, pick a time, pick a place and then turn up and meet each other for a BBQ/beer or whatever.

An afternoon was plenty for us when we met up for the Lower North Shore Biofuel Users. The hard thing for us last time was to decide on a suitable venue.

I am new to the area but I would suggest:
*a Sunday afternoon
*at a club/bistro somewhere for a counter meal or
*at someone's house or
*at a local park/reserve
*somewhere that miserable weather won't totally screw everything up.

Plenty of parking nearby incase people want to pop bonnets and kick tyres.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I am happy to hold it at my place in Narraweena as long as I don't have to cater for it - strictly BYO/bring a plate.

Cheers,
Cameron

pangit
28th June 2007, 11:32 AM
I am happy to hold it at my place in Narraweena as long as I don't have to cater for it - strictly BYO/bring a plate.

That would be a good choice, and I would be happy to bring a plate etc. Or if you could find a local park in your area with good parking facilities, with your house as a backup in case of bad weather.

As for dates, any time from mid-July onwards is OK for me, as long as it is booked with plenty of notice.

Cameron
28th June 2007, 09:03 PM
That would be a good choice, and I would be happy to bring a plate etc. Or if you could find a local park in your area with good parking facilities, with your house as a backup in case of bad weather.

As for dates, any time from mid-July onwards is OK for me, as long as it is booked with plenty of notice.

OK happy to have it at my place - we actually have a park/reserve that backs on to it so we get the best of both worlds!

So that is place sorted.

Date? .... As you might have seen in a previous post I will be off on an adventure in the Simpson Desert from mid/late July until end of Aug so perhaps we could aim to do it start of September?

I know that is a long way off but I would either have to do it pretty soon or leave it til I get back (obviously ...)

Cameron

Cameron
28th November 2007, 05:14 PM
OK so we unfortunately lost most of our Northern Beaches postings in the 'Great Server Crash of November 2007' or whatever it was so I thought I would come back to this thread and get us chatting all things Northern Beaches and biofuels again.

Here are a couple of gems for you:
Did you know that Warringah Council has bought a diesel mercedes vito van that it is going to convert to an eco education van and run on biodiesel?

Did you know that Warringah Council is currently getting biodiesel delivered and runs many vehicles on it?

By the way when and where is our next catch up - we have had 2 people offer to host so we had better take them up on this before they change their minds!

Cheers,
Cameron

Cameron
12th December 2007, 04:36 PM
OK so how about another Northern Beaches Biofuel Users catchup guys?

January ....

Saturday 19th or Sunday 20th .... somewhere on the Northern Beaches?

Cheers,
Cameron

UNSWSolar
30th December 2007, 10:24 PM
Hi Cameron,

I will talk with the wife in the morning. I think we would be happy to host that one. We live near roseville chase bridge...so kind of on the northern beaches. I should have my new biodiesel reactor up and running by then. I think Saturday the 19th would be good.

Cheers
Alex

Cameron
31st December 2007, 10:29 AM
Great - thanks Alex.

Please let us know as soon as you have the thumbs up from The Boss.

Who else would be planning to come along?

Further to that anybody prepared to now put their hand up to host the NEXT one (maybe 8 weeks later?)

Cheers,
Cameron
Northern Beaches Biofuel Users

UNSWSolar
3rd January 2008, 09:27 PM
Got the thumbs up!

Propose Sat 19th Jan at 12pm. If you are interested in coming, please post here and I will pm you with all the details. I am located in the chatswood area.

I will be happy to supply the meat, we will just need some salads and perhaps some bread. (Also Cameron you may need to bring some tofo steaks along.. ) I have a couple of beers lying around and perhaps some wine but we could definitely use some more beer. I will have some ice and an esky ready to go.

The wives and kids are most welcome. I have kids toys up to about the age of 6-7 and a park down the road.

I have quite a bit in the garage set up if people want a demo of anything bio related!

Cheers
Alex

Cameron
4th January 2008, 04:39 PM
Hey Alex,
I am in!

I will bring some tofu and some other things to help - I will stay in touch with you and you can let me know what to bring.

I can bring extra eskies, trestle tables, all sorts of things - just let me know what you need or even what simply 'might be nice' and I can probably bring it along!

Cheers,
Cameron

Cameron
15th January 2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Alex,
Are we still on for a Northern Beaches Biofuel Users BBQ at your place this weekend?

Cheers,
Cameron

UNSWSolar
16th January 2008, 10:08 AM
Hi Cameron,

It is still on if we get any takers this week. Otherwise we will have to reschedule. Is there anyone able to make it this Saturday?

Alex

Cameron
17th January 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Cameron,

It is still on if we get any takers this week. Otherwise we will have to reschedule. Is there anyone able to make it this Saturday?

Alex

resched?

cameron

Cameron
12th February 2008, 05:29 PM
OK let's have another go at this guys before the weather turns too crap.

I reckon we need to:
1. determine frequency of NBBU get togethers
2. determine host of next NBBU get together
3. determine date of next NBBU get together
4. determine venue of next NBBU get together
5. does anyone have a biofuel related project somewhere on the Northern Beaches they want a hand with from the group?
6. what are some other things people would like to do - would you like me to arrange with people from Warringah and Manly Councils to hear about their experiences of running their fleets on biodiesel?

It doesn't have to be at someone's house - just be somewhere on Northern Beaches of Sydney.

So question no. 1:
How often do we want to get together to have fun and potentially kick tyres.

Please feel free to give comment on any of the other questions too.

Cheers,
Cameron
Northern Beaches Biofuel Users

oallen
11th April 2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Cameron, I have not been here for some time. I came to your bbq. last year, which I enjoyed. I gave my details to two people, I am still waiting for them to contact me. One told me that he had a plant for sale, the other , I was interested to see his set up. I think the NBBU is doomed unless members are prepared to give a little bit of their time.

RODEONICK
11th April 2008, 11:14 PM
Hi Cameron, I have not been here for some time. I came to your bbq. last year, which I enjoyed. I gave my details to two people, I am still waiting for them to contact me. One told me that he had a plant for sale, the other , I was interested to see his set up. I think the NBBU is doomed unless members are prepared to give a little bit of their time.

aren't we all???
Look at darren from melbourne bio club he gave and gave and got shafted by greedy people. so maybe its a good thing if nothing happens that way you have noting to lose.
just my thoughts.

Cameron
15th May 2008, 01:32 PM
Nick,
You know me - I am generally a let's try to do something to improve this kind of a guy but I fear that I am currently flogging a dead horse as far as a local Northern Beaches Biofuel Users group goes.

That being said how we approach things can affect whether we get an outcome or not or if we do what the nature of the outcome might be. Perhaps I was taking an ineffective and unattractive approach that did not encourage others to get involved. Equally perhaps there simply aren't enough people on the Northern Beaches to give it critical mass at this time. Perhaps it would require a net to be cast more broadly in the local area to people interested in sustainability more broadly as they might simply not be following this forum and don't know where else to look.

Regardless I am going to hang up my hat on this endeavour for a while as I have some other things to be working on that produce guaranteed good results towards sustainability including in the Northern Beaches area. For example kicking off a local permaculture group.

If someone else wants to pick the NBBU idea up and run with it please be assured that I will tag along and provide you with whatever support I can. I have a never ending supply of ideas and approaches to try but at the moment with a new baby on deck I have a limit to the amount of time I have available to contribute to driving something myself. Driving requires more attention be paid than simply riding along as a passenger!

Cheers,
Cameron

pangit
15th May 2008, 04:28 PM
Equally perhaps there simply aren't enough people on the Northern Beaches to give it critical mass at this time.

I think that's it. As you know we've had several picnics over the past year or so which have been a great success, so why not come along to the next one? It would be good to meet you.

A date hasn't been set yet but there has been talk about it. Nick has earmarked some time in June, so if there is sufficient interest hopefully that will go ahead.

antpadgem
9th August 2008, 10:45 PM
Just thought I'd pop in to this forum. I also live on the Northern Beaches and I am looking into the possibilities of producing Bio to run my thirsty Series 60. Kinda went about this all the wrong way. I pulled the old water heater out of the roof and thought "What can I do with this?" and someone suggested making Bio Diesel or Whisky. I am yet to decide which offers the most benefits. In relation to Bio, my research has pretty well concluded that I should start small and that most of the ingredients are obtainable at reasonable prices and what the heck just do it. One snag though, it seems that you can only buy Methanol in 200l drums and that you need a high sided truck to transport the stuff. Not very economical for the beginner. Can anyone suggest a better solution, for instance a 50L container and maybe a retailer more local than Reevsby. PS. It’s a shame about the NBBU support, but I guess everyone is just so busy keeping up with life (and in my case three kids). Keep up the good work. Cheers

pangit
11th August 2008, 10:39 AM
I pulled the old water heater out of the roof and thought "What can I do with this?" and someone suggested making Bio Diesel or Whisky. I am yet to decide which offers the most benefits.Hmmm, in hindsight I think I might have chosen whiskey myself! :D

Whitey's Workshop in Merrylands sell methanol by the litre if you bring your own containers.

antpadgem
11th August 2008, 05:29 PM
OK, getting closer. Thanks for the heads up Sean. I'll investigate........what happened to over the counter at the "courner store"? ;) Repco in Dee Why can get it in 100l @ $446 ouch.

Nuddy
13th August 2008, 07:26 PM
OK, getting closer. Thanks for the heads up Sean. I'll investigate........what happened to over the counter at the "courner store"? ;) Repco in Dee Why can get it in 100l @ $446 ouch.
$4.46/litre - last I heard was $2, has it gone up that much?

Thespice
13th August 2008, 10:58 PM
try et racing fuels they will deliver 200l drums for $250

Tony From West Oz
13th August 2008, 11:50 PM
That price ($250/200L) is the same in Perth also.

Tony

antpadgem
14th August 2008, 07:57 PM
try et racing fuels they will deliver 200l drums for $250

That's what I am hearing and I think that is the best option. This is for Coogee Methanol (which is supposably the best). Being a beginner and all, I just didn't want to start off with such a large inventory – anyone on the NS want to go in halves? Does anyone go to the trouble of stilling the methanol from the waste? I was reading that you can “easily” get about 3 litres from 15litres of waste, not sure it is worth the hassle of building the process. Cheers for all your help so far.