Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brisvegas meet'n'greet

Hi brisfolk and queensfolk,

I've been thinking its time we all meet up and discuss how we are all progressing and where we are headed. Some time in the next month or two hopefully. Plenty of time to plan around.

Is there anyone willing to host a meeting?

North side of brissy might be convenient (cept for the 'woobah mountain men and hervey bay man)

I've got Peda, Nigel, 91GQ - Adrian, dillyman - derek, matt, garyr, Olaf and trevor on the books so you are all welcome to come, suggest a time, a place or what ever.

What do y'all think?
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Re: brisvegas meet'n'greet

Hi Joe,

I like the idea of a meet. Depends on when and the location. It would be good catch up. Sheila and I enjoy the north of Brissy area so could have an excuse for a couple of days away.

When you have any details , let us know. Good one Joe.

Rgds

Dillyman

Comment

I am in..and I am North Brissy, Albany Creek way. Though I have STILL not made any bio my processor is finished and I need to get oil and methanol.
      Joe you have been to my place already, would you think here would be ok for the meet as I am prepared to host it. We could throw a few snags on the barby, sit around and tell lies over a few drinks if you want. Enough room here as well if people want to camp overnight.
      We were planning to go away to the Daintree for four weeks though in July or August so let me know if that will be a problem.
      Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peda
        I am in..and I am North Brissy, Albany Creek way. Though I have STILL not made any bio my processor is finished and I need to get oil and methanol.
        Joe you have been to my place already, would you think here would be ok for the meet as I am prepared to host it. We could throw a few snags on the barby, sit around and tell lies over a few drinks if you want. Enough room here as well if people want to camp overnight.
        We were planning to go away to the Daintree for four weeks though in July or August so let me know if that will be a problem.
        Peter
        Nope thats no problem. July or August it is then. No just kidding.

Well we can either decide in the next two weeks and give our selves a week or two's notice and squeeze it in before July, or hold out until after you get back (or unless we get another offer). I'd like you there Pete to see how your processor is coming along. I was hoping you could give us a demo or dry run with it.

I've got some oil spare and I'd be happy to do a demo - titration and all.

So Thanks Peter and I start a mail out and try to shimmy up some numbers.

Joe
        Joe Morgan

Comment

I would be happy to travel countless km over to the northside, I live south of the river. Grew up over there though so its no real trouble and my parents are still over there too.

Have fuel will travel, might pack a few coldies into the waeco and come on over.

Matt
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

As a new chum who has only done two tests so far in
            glass jars (still reading avidly especially regarding water washing) I would love the opportunity to "meet and greet"

any chance of an invite?

bigears

Comment

Great matt and welcome bigears.

The more the merrier. I grew up in Yeronga. Anyone know that area at all?

Bigears how did you two tests go?

I'm aiming at mid june so if y'all could throw up a few dates that might suit we can start to take the sum of the averages.

If it helps I could tentitevely say the 11th or the 18th of June. Saturday isn't great for me but I can maybe get a baby sitter for the day.

I've been doing up an itinery and we actually have a bit to discuss!!

joe
              Joe Morgan

Comment

Hi all - 11/6 good for me (18/6 I am rostered to work
                but this is able to be swapped if necessary) Any Saturday is definitely ok in June

re Yeronga - I don't know it real well apart from recently
                doing a TAFE course there on bicycle maintainence

re my 2 batches - don't laugh (actually do laugh) -

#1 - I needed to buy some scales to measure 1gm amounts - and ,duh, I measured what I thought was 3.5gm NaOH but it was actually 35gm - needless to say
                I got a nice jelly type of stuff(soap!) that was promptly dumped behind my shed after I realised my stuff up.
                #2 used the right amount of NaOH and got a nice separation and proceeded to gently wash but it seemed to take multiple washes before the water was reasonably
                clear - the resulting fluid on top looked good to me
                but I still wasn't convinced enough to pour it into my
                ride-on. Another laugh for my family is I only ended up
                with about 500mls of putative biodiesel after all my
                decanting (from a 1L bottle of new vegetable oil)

-onto #3 experimental batch now - using WVO (5gm
                NaOH - I guessed as I have'nt sorted out titration yet)
                -there was nice separation and I will try a prewash
                tomorrow as a different washing technique.
                (I will bring some for "show and tell" if it works out ok)

I hope I have given you all a smile!

Cheers

bigears

Comment

Hi Bigears, (I keep going to type big gears)

probably the best test ti run on your biodiesel is try to reprocess it. If in the first test you are getting clear seperation then you have probably produces between 96 - 98% conversion. If you reprocess and get more glycerine then you didn't get complete conversion. yes you will often need up to 5 or seven washes to wash your biodiesel.

As for trusting what youv've made, you need a little faith.

If you had good seperation, reprocessed with little glycerine and it washes and dries and end up clear then you probably have made quite good biodiesel. Start introducinh small blends to you engines. 1% - 5% - 10% 20% 50%. If after any of these stages you notice performance issues or hard starting then go back and perfect your technique. Remember after washing that you will need to dry your biodiesel.

Joe
                  Last edited by joe; 17 May 2006, 11:05 PM.
                  Joe Morgan

Comment

Hi all, Saturday 11/6 should be ok for me so far too.
                    Peter

Comment

Guys - really pleased to see such a friendly scene growing up there and kudos to Joe & co for making it happen. I look forward to hearing about it and I only wish I could get my lazy arse up there.
                      It really highlights to me that I'd better try and do something a little more social for the Sydney scene than hiding behind a website all the time.
                      Robert.
                      Site Admin.

Comment

Saturday the 11 June is OK for me, but please can we start well before 4 pm as I have a Storey Bridge climb scheduled, bugger that means no or little drinking. Then again I am driving, so that makes sense. I will bring a sample of my brew too for show and tell.

Matt
                        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Hi Guys,

allow me to clarify. The 11th of June is a Sunday. Is a sunday no good?
                          At this stage Sundays is a better day for me, but I can organise a baby sitter for a Saturday if I have to. So how about we say its tentively say the 10th or the 11th. Please indicate a preference either here or by PM.

I'm going to do a mail out in the next day or so and if I can get RSVP by no later than next Wednesday the 24 of May with a preference of either Saturday the 10th or Sunday the 11th or suggesting another time.

I guess this is the hardest part of any event so if we can be forth coming with suggestions of dates. It'll help heaps. STart time will be pretty firm. I think an early start; say 11 - 12 pm for a bbq lunch courtesy of peter (thanks heaps pete, looking forward to seeing you again). If we can nut the dates out early then we can relax back and get stuck into the itinery.

Would any one be prepared to research and give a talk on a given topic? I've got some suggestions. I've made a considerable head start on the itinery so there really won't be heaps to do. Just to lighten the load for me on the day.

Talk soon

Joe
                          Joe Morgan

Comment

Hi all - either 10/6 or 11/6 ok by me - as is start time

If some-one wants a lift from south/east side I am happy
                            to oblige

What about food- Could I bring a cheesecake or pavlova maybe?

bigears

Comment

Hi guys, my mistake with the date. The weekend of 10/11 June is ok for me, either day suites me. If anyone has information that might be worth printing out for distribution on the day let me know as I can print out free of charge.
                              Once we get closer to the time I will need to provide the address but not on the public forum so if everyone could PM me I will reply with the details.
                              Numbers for catering will be needed, if you can call snags and rolls catering.
                              I think this is a great idea and I know I will learn a lot from this.
                              Well done Joe.
                              Regards
                              Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X