PDA

View Full Version : brisvegas meet'n'greet

joe
13th May 2006, 09:49 AM
Hi brisfolk and queensfolk,

I've been thinking its time we all meet up and discuss how we are all progressing and where we are headed. Some time in the next month or two hopefully. Plenty of time to plan around.

Is there anyone willing to host a meeting?

North side of brissy might be convenient (cept for the 'woobah mountain men and hervey bay man)

I've got Peda, Nigel, 91GQ - Adrian, dillyman - derek, matt, garyr, Olaf and trevor on the books so you are all welcome to come, suggest a time, a place or what ever.

What do y'all think?

dillyman
13th May 2006, 10:34 AM
Hi Joe,

I like the idea of a meet. Depends on when and the location. It would be good catch up. Sheila and I enjoy the north of Brissy area so could have an excuse for a couple of days away.

When you have any details , let us know. Good one Joe.

Rgds

Dillyman:)

Peda
15th May 2006, 04:17 PM
I am in..and I am North Brissy, Albany Creek way. Though I have STILL not made any bio my processor is finished and I need to get oil and methanol.
Joe you have been to my place already, would you think here would be ok for the meet as I am prepared to host it. We could throw a few snags on the barby, sit around and tell lies over a few drinks if you want. Enough room here as well if people want to camp overnight.
We were planning to go away to the Daintree for four weeks though in July or August so let me know if that will be a problem.
Peter

joe
15th May 2006, 05:24 PM
I am in..and I am North Brissy, Albany Creek way. Though I have STILL not made any bio my processor is finished and I need to get oil and methanol.
Joe you have been to my place already, would you think here would be ok for the meet as I am prepared to host it. We could throw a few snags on the barby, sit around and tell lies over a few drinks if you want. Enough room here as well if people want to camp overnight.
We were planning to go away to the Daintree for four weeks though in July or August so let me know if that will be a problem.
Peter
Nope thats no problem. July or August it is then. No just kidding.

Well we can either decide in the next two weeks and give our selves a week or two's notice and squeeze it in before July, or hold out until after you get back (or unless we get another offer). I'd like you there Pete to see how your processor is coming along. I was hoping you could give us a demo or dry run with it.

I've got some oil spare and I'd be happy to do a demo - titration and all.

So Thanks Peter and I start a mail out and try to shimmy up some numbers.

Joe

Matt
15th May 2006, 08:52 PM
I would be happy to travel countless km over to the northside, I live south of the river. Grew up over there though so its no real trouble and my parents are still over there too.

Have fuel will travel, might pack a few coldies into the waeco and come on over.

Matt

bigears
15th May 2006, 11:03 PM
As a new chum who has only done two tests so far in
glass jars (still reading avidly especially regarding water washing) I would love the opportunity to "meet and greet"

any chance of an invite?

bigears

joe
16th May 2006, 06:07 PM
Great matt and welcome bigears.

The more the merrier. I grew up in Yeronga. Anyone know that area at all?

Bigears how did you two tests go?

I'm aiming at mid june so if y'all could throw up a few dates that might suit we can start to take the sum of the averages.

If it helps I could tentitevely say the 11th or the 18th of June. Saturday isn't great for me but I can maybe get a baby sitter for the day.

I've been doing up an itinery and we actually have a bit to discuss!!

joe

bigears
16th May 2006, 11:07 PM
Hi all - 11/6 good for me (18/6 I am rostered to work
but this is able to be swapped if necessary) Any Saturday is definitely ok in June

re Yeronga - I don't know it real well apart from recently
doing a TAFE course there on bicycle maintainence

re my 2 batches - don't laugh (actually do laugh) -

#1 - I needed to buy some scales to measure 1gm amounts - and ,duh, I measured what I thought was 3.5gm NaOH but it was actually 35gm - needless to say
I got a nice jelly type of stuff(soap!) that was promptly dumped behind my shed after I realised my stuff up.
#2 used the right amount of NaOH and got a nice separation and proceeded to gently wash but it seemed to take multiple washes before the water was reasonably
clear - the resulting fluid on top looked good to me
but I still wasn't convinced enough to pour it into my
ride-on. Another laugh for my family is I only ended up
with about 500mls of putative biodiesel after all my
decanting (from a 1L bottle of new vegetable oil)

-onto #3 experimental batch now - using WVO (5gm
NaOH - I guessed as I have'nt sorted out titration yet)
-there was nice separation and I will try a prewash
tomorrow as a different washing technique.
(I will bring some for "show and tell" if it works out ok)

I hope I have given you all a smile!

Cheers

bigears

joe
17th May 2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Bigears, (I keep going to type big gears)

probably the best test ti run on your biodiesel is try to reprocess it. If in the first test you are getting clear seperation then you have probably produces between 96 - 98% conversion. If you reprocess and get more glycerine then you didn't get complete conversion. yes you will often need up to 5 or seven washes to wash your biodiesel.

As for trusting what youv've made, you need a little faith.

If you had good seperation, reprocessed with little glycerine and it washes and dries and end up clear then you probably have made quite good biodiesel. Start introducinh small blends to you engines. 1% - 5% - 10% 20% 50%. If after any of these stages you notice performance issues or hard starting then go back and perfect your technique. Remember after washing that you will need to dry your biodiesel.

Joe

Peda
17th May 2006, 05:59 PM
Hi all, Saturday 11/6 should be ok for me so far too.
Peter

Robert
17th May 2006, 07:47 PM
Guys - really pleased to see such a friendly scene growing up there and kudos to Joe & co for making it happen. I look forward to hearing about it and I only wish I could get my lazy arse up there.
It really highlights to me that I'd better try and do something a little more social for the Sydney scene than hiding behind a website all the time. :p

Matt
18th May 2006, 12:04 AM
Saturday the 11 June is OK for me, but please can we start well before 4 pm as I have a Storey Bridge climb scheduled, bugger that means no or little drinking. Then again I am driving, so that makes sense. I will bring a sample of my brew too for show and tell.

Matt

joe
18th May 2006, 01:05 AM
Hi Guys,

allow me to clarify. The 11th of June is a Sunday. Is a sunday no good?
At this stage Sundays is a better day for me, but I can organise a baby sitter for a Saturday if I have to. So how about we say its tentively say the 10th or the 11th. Please indicate a preference either here or by PM.

I'm going to do a mail out in the next day or so and if I can get RSVP by no later than next Wednesday the 24 of May with a preference of either Saturday the 10th or Sunday the 11th or suggesting another time.

I guess this is the hardest part of any event so if we can be forth coming with suggestions of dates. It'll help heaps. STart time will be pretty firm. I think an early start; say 11 - 12 pm for a bbq lunch courtesy of peter (thanks heaps pete, looking forward to seeing you again). If we can nut the dates out early then we can relax back and get stuck into the itinery.

Would any one be prepared to research and give a talk on a given topic? I've got some suggestions. I've made a considerable head start on the itinery so there really won't be heaps to do. Just to lighten the load for me on the day.

Talk soon

Joe

bigears
18th May 2006, 07:16 AM
Hi all - either 10/6 or 11/6 ok by me - as is start time

If some-one wants a lift from south/east side I am happy
to oblige

What about food- Could I bring a cheesecake or pavlova maybe?

bigears

Peda
18th May 2006, 10:44 AM
Hi guys, my mistake with the date. The weekend of 10/11 June is ok for me, either day suites me. If anyone has information that might be worth printing out for distribution on the day let me know as I can print out free of charge.
Once we get closer to the time I will need to provide the address but not on the public forum so if everyone could PM me I will reply with the details.
Numbers for catering will be needed, if you can call snags and rolls catering.
I think this is a great idea and I know I will learn a lot from this.
Well done Joe.
Regards
Peter

Matt
18th May 2006, 11:39 AM
Aha, Sunday the 11th, Saturday the 10th. OK, my bridge climb is Sunday the 11th so Saturday is fine apart from the obligatory school sports, Sunday fine for lunch.

I am happy to talk on anything if you're all prepared to listen. Joe, my background is one of electronic engineering with a keen interest in organic chemistry from school days. I will bring something as well, as soon as we sort out something. I am not however a chemist by any means. I have been doing this long enough to have a good source of supplies and a few ideas on alternative methods, small and large scale.

Matt

tillyfromparadise
19th May 2006, 11:28 AM
Just spotted this discussion, am I invited too?

I'll bring the Dr Pepper and Vodka.

Tilly

Robert
19th May 2006, 12:27 PM
Hey Tilly, I'm sure they'd love to see you there if you could get yourself down from ลึก ประเทศอินเด for the day. ;)

dillyman
23rd May 2006, 12:09 AM
Hi Joe,
I would like to get to the meet if it is on the 10th June. I have to be at a Tae Kwon Do grading on the 11th. Fingers crossed?

Regards

Dillyman

garyr
23rd May 2006, 08:39 PM
I,ll be there 11/6 as the cook goes to germany that w/end to watch her boy play soccer so should have no trouble getting away and playing with oil making a mess etc :D

Slider
24th May 2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Folks, only new here but with the price of fuel I am keen to look at alternatives. Be interested to here any comments on the use of Biodiesel in a modern Turbo Diesel. The M & G looks very interesting.

Cheers
Mark

Peda
25th May 2006, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the forum. The details are here http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com/meeting.php
We need confirmation for catering and preferred day but it will be only a one day event, either the saturday or the sunday but not both.
Regards
Peter

Robert
25th May 2006, 11:23 AM
Good to see this gaining some momentum - you should chuck it in the calendar (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/calendar.php) as an event once you get a date for it. Also, Joe, if you're looking to have a chat about biodiesel in the arvo, I'd be happy to get send you a copy of the recent presentation I gave to the ATA's Alt Fuels Motor Show - if you think you may find bits of it useful (I doubt your gathering would be that formal though ;) )

Black Budgie
25th May 2006, 01:59 PM
G'day to All,
This is an impressive site, very high tech and user friendly. I have only recently acquired my vehicle, purchased with the intention of making my own fuel. Have read many articles and am looking for oil sources, but remain a BD virginhttp://www.biofuelsforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
If you are after starters for a meet and greet on the 10 or 11th June, I would be happy to attend. This is the Queens' Birthday long weekend, just in case some may not have checked their calendar.

joe
25th May 2006, 05:41 PM
Yep you are more than welcome to attend. I'll add you to the mailing list.

Cheers

Howard Chapman
26th May 2006, 09:01 PM
As per e-mail I will be there. Thanks Joe for the quick response

rigor
6th June 2006, 12:22 PM
Would love to attend if I may . Keen to get started but would like the confidence of seeing how others do it.
I live on the Northside so no probs for me.

Cheers Dave L

garyr
12th June 2006, 09:36 AM
to joe and our host peter thanks for a very informative day lets do it again some time cheers gary:)

bigears
12th June 2006, 06:22 PM
Ditto - most enjoyable - great getting to talk with
and discuss various methods with some of those
present.

Peter - your processor looks very well made -I hope it
does the job and look forward to a report when you fire it
up. Thanks for making your house available.

bigears

joe
12th June 2006, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

thanks guys. It was a great day. Thanks also to our speakers. Tom your safety speech was awesome. I didn't want you to stop actually!!

Tilley gave a great demo of "The World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend)".

It was a big day and we didn't get to all of the things I had in mind but I learned a lot about what people do want. So I'll be better prepared for next time.

Thanks again for all and as promised I'll post all of the notes from the day.

Memorable comment of the day...goes to Graham who announed as he walked in that he was from the tax office...

Cheers

Peda
13th June 2006, 10:20 AM
A big thanks to everyone for making the effort to come to our meeting and making it a success. I know some of you had come a long way. It was a good mixture of people at all levels and I know I learnt a lot and it was a pleasure to meet so many like minded people.
I got encouraging comments about my proccesor which was appreciated and last night I got my first source of oil so soon I will be on the way.
I think we could easily hold another meeting soon with the people who were unable to attend this one or for the beginers who still have a thirst for information and practical demonstrations.
Thanks to Joe for getting this off the ground and I look forward to the next meeting. Well done.
Peter

Chaz
13th June 2006, 08:00 PM
Just a public thank-you to all concerned. Peter, thanks for the use of your home. Joe, it takes someone to do the organising - great effort. To the rest, thanks for the information on what you do and how. I'm a lot more confident now and will do some more playing.

Brenden

Howard Chapman
13th June 2006, 08:05 PM
I would like to thank Peter and Joe for a great day, as a beginner I gained a lot and a great bunch of people .

Matt
13th June 2006, 10:45 PM
Peda, thank you very much for having us over for the BBQ, Joe for organising the BBQ and all others for attending.

Mate there is only one way you will know if it works, use it!

A few oil spills and clean ups later you will know its use, its limitations and how to improve the process.

Regards,
Matt

PS, the glycerine cocktail left over from your first batch should be kept, put out in the sun the evaporate the methanol and kept for the emergency spills that will occur and its good for cleaning hands and is the only real thing to get the oil stains out of clothes, you will learn!

Peda
14th June 2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks Matt.
That doctors sample you brought that you had in the jar, you left it behind, so I guess you won't mind if I have found a way to dispose of it. :)
Regards
Peter

Figjam
14th June 2006, 08:53 PM
Hi Guys,

As a newby id like to say you guys are all very informative and id like to
learn by your wealth of knowlege as to find out how to get my fav truk
ie_ Toyota runnin on this fine stuff.I have bin(pardon the slang) doin some huge amounts of readin and the more i read the more i want to know.
As to the recent meetup you guys had i was slightly dissapointed in the fact i missed out meetin you guys.Am i layin it on too thick:cool: .
Anyways, keep up the goods on the stuff.
Cheers

Fig
oh btw im new to the old forum thing and dont have a flame suite

Matt
24th July 2006, 12:16 AM
Just don't flush it Peda! Doctor says I need to drink more water.

Won't get you far I am sorry to say, but wont gel up on you either. I had that one in the fridge at 0 Celsius and it did not even look like gelling.

Good luck to you,
Regards,
Matt

Thanks Matt.
That doctors sample you brought that you had in the jar, you left it behind, so I guess you won't mind if I have found a way to dispose of it. :)
Regards
Peter
</IMG>

SUZUDDIS
30th August 2010, 09:17 PM
I anybody looking to have another get together ? From what I've read in the post's all was enjoyed but looks like it was a long time ago. Can another get together be organised and be made regular ? I'd be happy to post and organise.
Regards
Michael