self sufficient farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self sufficient farm

Would love to convert enough of the canola I grow to biodiesel to run my farm, and use the meal for a feedlot. It is difficult finding equipment to press the seed, let alone the plant for producing biodiesel. Have even bought a peugeot 307 to run on biodiesel. 40 000lt of diesel at current prices make running the farm very costly, and it looks like getting worse. Initially I was considering purchasing a press, and taking SVO to be processed off farm. Any assistance would be appreciated in getting started.

Re: self sufficient farm

This may be of some interest to you. click on this attachment.

Comment

Great PDF Dodge (though some of the statements made in it are a little dated - like "no commercial production of biodiesel is presently happening in Aus"), but still right on the money for agbio's question.
      Steve Hobbs is a real pioneer and Aussie legend in terms of what he has done with biodiesel here. He's occasionally lurked in this forum (member profile here), but you can also contact him via his own site. I'd suggest that you get in contact with him and he'll be able to point you in the right direction. I believe that he can also import the press for you as well.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks fella's for your help. I have actually been speaking to Steven, and discussed his presses, and they appear to be good. I was really trying to see what else is out there, but the industry is really in it's infancy. It's great to see this forum, and people trying to get the message out. It is a shame more farmers are not chatting, as they may be the ones to benefit most from biodiesel. They probably would be more involved if it was'nt for the rediculous tax laws, which I'm sure you know about.

Comment

Originally posted by agbio
          SNIP
          It is a shame more farmers are not chatting, as they may be the ones to benefit most from biodiesel. They probably would be more involved if it was'nt for the rediculous tax laws, which I'm sure you know about.
          AgBio,
          I am in contact with a few farmers who are either making biodiesel or using cold pressed Canola oils as their preferred fuel. One of these farmers has purchased a pair of Chinese presses, diesel generators, electric motors, centrifuges etc, to produce his own degummed canola from his crop. He is also growing Indian Mustard in a trial planting (last year he exported the mustard crop to Nepal!)

Incidentally, SVO is not an excisable fuel, so the benefits are potentially greater for thoise who use SVO.
          If you wish, I can pass your contact details to him. Please PM them to me if you wish me to do this.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

when you say that svo isnt encompased by fuel tax...i imagine that you relate to those who would wish to sell it. if a farmer maufactures for his own use, how can that be taxed???

Comment

Originally posted by adamjedgar
              when you say that svo isnt encompased by fuel tax...i imagine that you relate to those who would wish to sell it. if a farmer maufactures for his own use, how can that be taxed???
              Adam,
              The Australian Taxation Office is required to collect excise at the rate of 38.2 cents per litre from people who make biodiesel - even for their own use, even if they grew the crop.
              There is no such excise on straight vegetable oil (or animal fats)
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

after a little investigation on the gov treasury web site(http://fueltaxinquiry.treasury.gov.a...ackgnd/002.asp), i believe even straight vegetable oil may be subject to excise. the legislation leads me to believe that it is the end use of the product that determines the application of excise. Since the end use of vegetable oil in our case is not for cooking...it is therefore subject to 38.1 cents per ltr excise i believe when refined for use in diesel engines.

And i quote directly from above wesite

"In March 1989, the Government announced the first of a number of changes to the petroleum products excise system to address duty avoidance practices. This change introduced a system whereby products would be dutiable according to stated end-use.34 The Customs and Excise tariffs were amended to include differential rates for products used: as a fuel in an internal combustion engine; as a fuel other than in an internal combustion engine (eg. for heating); or other than as a fuel (eg. as a solvent)."

Damn taxation

Comment

oh i almost forgot

if you see the chart contained on that same web site, the above quote doesn't to me seem to be limited to petroleum products (the table also mentions alternative fuel sources).
                  Perhaps the reason we think that it is not subject to excise is that it may have already been taxed when produced for use as cooking oil??? My only concern, if its use is for a product normally incuring higher taxation does this mean the balance of excise should be paid???
                  To confusing for me.
                  My solution, bugger it all. If i ever own a farm and decide to produce biodiesel from my own plant matter, i wont be bloody declaring jack to old Johnnie and his dickhead offsider!!!

Comment

Adam,
                    I have a copy of a letter from the ATO advising the enquirer that vegetable oils used as diesel fuel, whether used cooking oil or new canola oil, is not subject to the fuels excise.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz
                      AgBio,
                      I am in contact with a few farmers who are either making biodiesel or using cold pressed Canola oils as their preferred fuel. One of these farmers has purchased a pair of Chinese presses, diesel generators, electric motors, centrifuges etc, to produce his own degummed canola from his crop. He is also growing Indian Mustard in a trial planting (last year he exported the mustard crop to Nepal!)

Incidentally, SVO is not an excisable fuel, so the benefits are potentially greater for thoise who use SVO.
                      If you wish, I can pass your contact details to him. Please PM them to me if you wish me to do this.
                      Tony
                      Can you explain what degummed canola is. Is it a variety of canola? or a process he puts the oil through?

Comment

Working...
                      X