Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux 3L 4x2

Hi All

I've just started running a 2002 Hilux 3L 4x2 Dualcab, 80 000km on the clock. My neighbour and I are setting up to run BD in his Landcruiser and my Hilux. A couple of quick questions...

1. I believe my Hilux has fuel lines that are happy with BD. Can someone confirm this please.
    2. Are there any outstanding issues that are likely to arise once I start using BD? eg. fuel filter.
    3. With the older 1985 Landcruiser, will the fuel lines need to be upgraded? I read in other posts this may be an issue.

Many thanks in advance. What a valuable resource this forum is. Power to the people!

Re: Hilux 3L 4x2

Chances are that your Hilux is fine, but the '85 Cruiser may need some attention a bit further down the track.
    Have a look at this thread for refererence. It is on ULSD and biodiesel in respect of their effects on hoses/seals.

The short story is that any components made from nitrile rubber in the fuel system (hoses, pump seals/gaskets etc) will not last with either ULSD or biodiesel. Since Jan 1 2006, all diesel (distillate) sold in Australia has to be ULSD. This means that the '85 Cruiser, or any car with old nitrile rubber components will need have these components changed to use synthetic rubber, such as viton. Most cars made since the mid '90s (like your Hilux) will already use synthetic components.

The degradation of the old hoses/seals can take time, so it is not like your car will stop after the first tank. ULSD will make old components shrink and go brittle - symptoms: cracks in the fuel lines and leaks from the injector pump. Biodiesel will make old components swell and go soft - symptoms: bulging soft hoses that can leak and swollen seals in the pump. This may take months/years - it depends on your usage.

Now, as for fuel filters: Dino diesel leaves behind a dirty residue in your fuel system. Biodiesel is a great natural solvent. It will clean your system right up, but all this gunk will be lifted and deposited somewhere. Where? The fuel filter of course. Some users have switched to B100 and had no problems with filters clogging, others have had to change a few filters until their fuel system was completely clean. Best bet, carry a spare filter or two with you and be prepared. If your car stops, or starts to get sluggish, pull over, remove your old filter and slap on the new one. Another option is to install a pre filter, either in the form of a CAV filter, or a cheap disposable inline filter. The pre-filter is not a necessary modification (biodiesel needs no engine modification), but it is a sensible precaution for any vehicle, whether it runs biodiesel or not.

Hope that helps.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

As for the Landcruiser fuel lines, Pirtek make a lovely hose that is designed for pesticide that has a solid nylon inner, get some and use it for the Bio, it works fine and is suitable. Injection pump and whatever else is replaceable and repairable at a cost, just ask for synthetic viton seals for the injection pump whenever it needs to be done/overhauled. I will try and find the type of hose I mentioned, I have apice at home I am yet to install in my 98 cruiser. There is no other type of hose readily available that will work, I used a pice of good quality Gates hose and its leaking like a sieve.

Matt
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Hi RossH,

I have a 1996 H Ace 2.8 lt which is the 3L engine. I have been on the forums for quite some time and have asked similar questions to you. I am running B100 in mine, runs like a dream but not got enough miles on it with BD to give you a thumbs up. However there are many postings I have read on various forums of the 3L engine taking any Bd that was thrown at it, also the 2.4Lt engine. Mine has only done a couple of tanks full but boy does it run well and smooth, quiet, better power too. I have not as yet read of one negative on these engines with BD. I also have a 1980 HJ45 Landcruiser (3.57Litre - 6 Cyl I am also running Bd in this. Postings have not said a lot about changing much in fuel lines. The biggest thing I read was a leaking pump stopped leaking with Bd. Not much to change over anyway, easily done. Plenty of useful knowledge on the forum. Enjoy.

Rgds

Dillyman
        dillyman
        Last edited by dillyman; 16 May 2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I've also heard of injector pumps that leaked being fixed by running biodiesel. I think this was due to ULSD causing the seals to shrink, thus the pump leaked. When the biodiesel was added, the seals swelled, thus sealing the leak.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

That is correct Robert, ULSD will cause the seals to shrink by drying them out, Biodiesel will cause them to swell as it rots them away!

Anyway the fuel line I mentioned is a Goodyear 2BD spray hose available form Pirtek in your state.

Regards,
            Matt
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Working...
            X