PDA

View Full Version : Western Sydney Users

Robert
23rd October 2005, 02:07 PM
As you can see by my profile, I'm in Kings Langley. I know so far of another user in Parramatta and another out in Richmond. It would be good if we could share resources in making, purchasing and using biodiesel (or collecting used cooking oil).

Please post here if you are nearby and would like to help, or need help.

Cheers,

geewizztoo
10th November 2005, 12:38 PM
I'm south of Liverpool, near the Holsworthy army camp. I'm willing to help any newbies to get started.

captain
18th November 2005, 12:14 AM
Hi all.
This is my first post on this forum. I am very keen to know what is needed to set myself up to produce biodiesel for my own use.I live on acres not far from geewizztoo and have access to used oil from a fish and chip shop.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Ian

Robert
18th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Welcome, Ian.

It would help if you put your location in your profile (maybe your vehicle type too), so we can know how nearby you are.

Good to hear you already have a source of oil sorted, there are some who are finding that step still difficult, so you are off to a good start already.

There are a few good links and pointers that have been posted up already in this forum, as well as some "first timers guides" that are on their way soon (Joe, you going to post them?).

If you do manage to get hold of any members directly, or privately and they help you to get underway, I just ask that you share your experiences in this forum (in the appropriate area) publicly, so that we all may benefit.

Cheers,

captain
21st November 2005, 12:06 PM
Robert, have made changes you asked for.
I have been doing some research since my last post and i am sure i could offer my fabrication abilities in exchange for useful guidance. Perhaps someone is about to upgrade their system and i could make parts in duplicate to suit both parties.
cheers Ian

geewizztoo
2nd December 2005, 03:13 PM
Ian, what size batches are you intending to make? Have you made any test batches form your source of supply? Just a word of caution, you need to check the quality of oil from a fish & chip shop. I had a great source form a local f & c shop, but it turned out to be useless as the stuff was so burned out it wouldn't make BioD reliably. I tried many methods for two weeks, but mostly all I made was glop. A simple titration will soon tell you if it's usable.

If you need help with titration, materials or suggestions about equipment I'm fairly local and can help. If you're intending to make reasonably large quantities we may be able to share bulk materials, ie methanol & KOH?

Cheers

magda
4th December 2005, 01:55 AM
Hi All,
We live in Epping. Does this count as Western Sydney? I know where Parramatta is anyway but we mostly do our toing and froing between Epping and the CBD. Well, we would love to get some help in getting started in bio-diesel. We saw the lovely Phil at the permaculture work shop at Lindfield last month and have been doing a bit of research with some of the info he gave us. We want to make our own but are willing also to go into a bulk buying pool if one is happening. We are very new at all this and not particularly mechanical (but willing to learn) and would be most grateful for any guidance from other users. Our vehicle is a LandRover Discovery TD5 (1996 I think)

Cheers,
Magda

Robert
4th December 2005, 09:52 AM
Hi Magda,

"Western Sydney" is wherever we want it to be really, we're just moving around zones to meet whichever users seem to pop up. I reckon Epping would qualify as you are off the M2.;)
There are loads of people all around Sydney who have been making/using biodiesel for years, but most of them are in hiding and you will have to spend years of talking to people before you will find the "in crowd". That is precisely why we got this forum running - so that ordinary people could get more access to biodiesel. Many of the older crowd who've been doing it for years don't really spend time searching the net for local connections, so it may be a while before we see some of them help out in here (well, there are a few already). So, in the mean time, we seem to be doing a pretty good job of just making our own little scene. We're not focussing too much on the "making" side, although there are many who are doing this quite well, but as the first steps, we are doing quite well at the using side. Our little purchasing collective has now collected our second batch of drums of commercially produced biodiesel, which avoids all the silly tax issues that home brewed biodiesel presently has. Once we've got the using side a bit more steady, then I'm sure that we will look a bit closer at the making side.

I've just added your account login to now have access to our hidden purchasing area. You should now see a sub forum in local community areas/sydney biodiesel users/sydney biodiesel purchasing group (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)/.
As you will see in there, we've made 2 "runs" to get drums, one from Waterway Fuels in Rozelle and the other from Australian Biodiesel Industries in Rutherford. The Rozelle run was a lot more expensive, as they are a marine supplier and they have also tanked the stuff down to the Sydney Harbour Foreshore, their supplier (the only other commercial plant in NSW - Australian Biodiesel Group (http://www.biodiesel.net.au/)) is also a bit more expensive.

If you are interested in getting a small amount to use now (we'll probably be doing our next run in January or even February), then I'd be happy to on-sell you some of mine at the same price that I bought it for (I've still got a bit too much for my own use). I'd also be happy to tell you a bit about your car, based on my recent experiences in my Landrover TD4. Private message me if you do want to do this.

Cheers,

stewart
8th December 2005, 02:14 PM
Hello Robert,

New to biodiesel although I read Joshua Tickell's book some time ago and new to forums. I would love to try some biodiesel in either my Volkswagen TDi van or an old mercedes station wagon.

Would like to learn more about some of the minor maintemance issues involved in making the conversion ( fuel filters etc.) Do you know of any diesel mechanics who support the use of biodiesel and who are prepared to servoce biodiesel using vehicles?

I live in Elanora Heights , travel to the pacific hwy at gordon regularly and would love to get in on the next pick up.

Cheers,

Stewart

Robert
8th December 2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Stewart, I guess you'd be "Northern Beaches", but we'll set up an area for you when we find more nearby you. For now, welcome to the forums and watch out for news of our next pickup. This will probably be late January or early Feb, but if enough people want some sooner, we'll organise it. As I said to Magda, I've got some spare if you were desperate to get some biodiesel before then. Private message me if so, otherwise, we'll probably see you next time we do a fuel run.:)

Re mechanics - most of them in Oz will probably tell you lies based on ignorance. However, I did hear from one of our members (biofuelbaby) that he went to a Merc mechanic who was ex-German and was familiar with biodiesel. He of course saw no problem with it. Perhaps he might be able to recommend him to you. I'm sure that others may have advice on recommended mechanics as well (if so, please post it into a new thread).

Cheers,

earvin
8th January 2006, 07:15 PM
Hi Robert,

I am just learning about Biodiesel, but I would be really interested in sharing costs to purchase a quantity. I would just have to sort some drums and a pump.

I live near Richmond, in case you didn't know where Bowen Mountain was;)

Cheers

Robert
8th January 2006, 10:29 PM
Hi Earvin and welcome to the forums. Happy to include you in our next purchase. You'll have to keep a regular look out in the forums for an announcement when we decide to do it. Personally, I've only got a few weeks worth left, so I'd like to sort out another run soon, unless our man in Marrickville (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/showthread.php?t=127) can come through with the good oil before then.
When I first heard about biodiesel, I was a little uncertain about trying my own homebrew in my overly high tech and complicated little engine, so all I wanted was some commercially produced biodiesel made to Australian standards. I've since found out that this was a little over cautious and there are many home-brewers out there making the finest of stuff as well as many engines running quite happily on lesser fuels. Anyway, without rambling on, I'm just saying that I know what it's like to start off and I understand your need to get your first drum load. There may be others in the group that can help you out with this when the time comes. Just stay watching the forums for an announcement, as I don't always personally keep track of everyone who says they want it and then email them when the time comes - too much hard work :p.

PapaLopez
22nd February 2006, 01:24 PM
Hi Robert,
My wife found this group and got really excited over the prospect of joining in. We've just invested $2,500 in the project in the form of a small diesel truck with almost a thousand more to be paid in March for registration renewal. We'll definitely be keeping an eye on this group, looking for tips and maybe being able to assist others in some way in the near future.

PapaLopez
25th February 2006, 04:00 PM
I have to say, I was a little more than disappointed to arrive at the Marrickville depot after an agonisingly hot and crowded road trip from St. Marys, which took a lot longer than expected, only to find that the closing time is earlier than that shown on the website.

Work day trips are almost always out for us and after the initial excitement of finding this site, we were looking forward to at least making contact in person with someone connected with the biodeisel scene, as well as filling up with this product.

Not happy Jan.

biofuelbaby
26th February 2006, 09:59 AM
Hi Papa Lopez

My name is Phil and I live roughly halfway between you and the Marrickville servo. If you have jerry cans or containers that fit into a boot I can pick up some fuel for you on a weekday. They are inconvenient trading hours for workers who have to travel.

The other suggestions I have include:

- Explore the thread for Sydney Biodiesel Purchasing Group. There are Blue Mountains and Lithgow purchasers Gunner and Lucas who have to travel to either Marrickville or Rutherford (Hunter Valley) to pick up fuel. You could private message them to see if they are passing your way with a load of fuel.

- Send a private message to Morris (owner of the fuel station) and clarify opening hours. I'm sure at the moment he values every customer he can get.

- Send a message to Robert the site administrator. He lives even closer to you and has drums, containers, pump etc for decanting fuel.

- In general explore the threads involving Using Biodiesel for troubleshooting problems with fuel filters, fuel lines, pumps etc.

Good Luck!

Phil

PapaLopez
28th February 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Phil,
Thank you for your help. I appreciate your assistance very much. Take care.

alessa.83
3rd May 2006, 04:53 PM
I'm south of Liverpool, near the Holsworthy army camp. I'm willing to help any newbies to get started.

hi,
i haven't yet bought anything to make biodiesel, but i want to start and im looking around to see exactly what i need to make the process fast and effective with minimal work, finding the used oil and cleaning the oil is the most time wasting of all,

question i have to ask are:

i have a few fish & chip shops that i will be getting my used oil from, they put there used oil in a 55gal drums. How will i go about pumping out the used oil and filtering it ready to use in my automated processor, whcih pumps the filtered cleaned used oil from the drum into its mixer?

so what pump do i need to do the job,

what filter would u recommend while pumping out the used oil from the drums eg: a 200 micron filter, to filter out the bigger debris out while pumping into my storage tank in my 4wd or ute?

thankyou for your help!

Tony From West Oz
4th May 2006, 12:38 AM
hi,

i have a few fish & chip shops that i will be getting my used oil from, they put there used oil in a 55gal drums. I supply my oil sources with a few 60 litre drums. These are relatively easy to handle (around 50kg when full) and put into a trailer
How will i go about pumping out the used oil and filtering it ready to use in my automated processor, whcih pumps the filtered cleaned used oil from the drum into its mixer? All you need to do if you are making biodiesel from the oil, is to strain out the chips and dim sims. Filtering is not necessary. You will need to check for water in the oil, especially if the oil is stored outdoors or in the weather.

so what pump do i need to do the job,

what filter would u recommend while pumping out the used oil from the drums eg: a 200 micron filter, to filter out the bigger debris out while pumping into my storage tank in my 4wd or ute? Use a coarse mesh on your pump suction hose, to exclude the larger particles. When transferring to your drying tank/processor, use some flywire formed into a funnel shape to catch the smaller lumps.

thankyou for your help!
After your biodiesel is processed, washed and dried (if that is what you do), please ensure that it is filtered to ~5 micron before / while refuelling the vehicle.

Jacka
28th May 2006, 07:21 PM
Well this is really cool. Just stumbled across this group and forums, been working through starting to brew my own :) but have always had trouble finding cheap enough methanol :( To close to the race car scene which is WAY expensive.

Been using B50 now since the Local to work Ingleburn Volume Plus gets a shipment of it in for their diesel. They say it is B50 and made from palm oil but they can't give me any more info than that at this point.

I must I don't live in the western sydney suburbs :) but hey I am only 50-60Km south so not to bad I spose if I was to want BIG supplys :)

I know of the station at Marrickville but the hours that I get away from work I can't make it there to fill up which is a bit of a problem. I also heard on the grapevine that he was not going to be keeping B100 over winter? Would that be correct or is it just mith? There are pour point suppresors that are made for biodiesel which will take them down to -5 or -10 so I can't see why that would be a problem for Sydney or even most of australia.

I will keep an eye out and might even ask some advice in the near furture, I can do biodiesel from new Oil as I have done in test batch's but never done WVO so I might need some advice and pointers :)

Thanks Guys.

johnno
29th May 2006, 05:52 PM
Perfect:) Im in the liverpool area too and would love to speak and meet as this is all new to me!help johnno:o

geewizztoo
30th May 2006, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of biodiesel Johnno,
I've sent you a PM so check your inbox. Will do what I can to help.
Cheers

Juggla1
6th June 2006, 06:39 PM
G'day Robert,
I am in Macquarie Fields (South West Sydney) and have used a bit of SVO in my Landrover Defender. It loves it, but I am wondering about the long term effects, so I want to get into making Biodiesel. I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment and am very keen to meet someone who would be willing to show me how it is done. This seems like a likely kind of place. I look forward to your reply.
Dave

Bob
6th June 2006, 07:23 PM
Kellyville new member and want to get involved somewhere. Bob

quesoburgesa
7th June 2006, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I've just read From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank, and am very interested in making biodiesel. I don't yet have a diesel vehicle (too bad there's pretty much only diesel utes or SUVs in Australia), but want to make some test batches.

From the Fryer says to test the biodiesel in an rc engine, but I wan't aware that RCs ran off of diesel. I know the engines are glow engines, and that the fuel has nitro in it, but are they diesel?

If not, what else can I test the fuel in?

Thanks,

Justin

Tony From West Oz
8th June 2006, 12:04 AM
Hi,

I've just read From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank, and am very interested in making biodiesel. I don't yet have a diesel vehicle (too bad there's pretty much only diesel utes or SUVs in Australia), but want to make some test batches.

From the Fryer says to test the biodiesel in an rc engine, but I wan't aware that RCs ran off of diesel. I know the engines are glow engines, and that the fuel has nitro in it, but are they diesel?

If not, what else can I test the fuel in?

Thanks,

Justin

Jason
FTFTTFT has a lot of poorly researched information which is either misleading, wrong or downright bloody dangerous in it.
Model aircraft diesels will not run on biodiesel, IIRC they run on ether with some castor oil as a lubricant. They do not have injectors or injector pumps and cannot be used to test biodiesel.

There are many diesel cars, small commercial and 4wd vehicles in Oz which are candidates for biodiesel usage.
Mercedes 220D, 240D and 300D cars and wagons are reasonably plentiful. VW Golf diesels are still around as are Gemini diesels. The other official imports are Peugeot and Citroen and the "grey"(unofficial) imports from Toyota, Nissan and Mazda are reasonably plentiful.

There are a number of tests you can perform on biodiesel:
1. Reprocess test. Checks for completeness of transesterification. Poorly converted biodiesel will have oil in it and the reprocessing causes the byproduct to drop out. Even 100% vegetable oil can be used to fuel diesel engines (with a fuel heating system), so a small % of unconverted oil in the biodiesel is not a problem.

2. Melting Point. I suggest that people test the biodiesel to the coldest winter temperatures for the locations in which they expect to use the vehicle. If below 0C, use the freezer and wind the thermostat down to get your winter temperature (freezer is normally -5C) if above 0C, use the fridge (normally +5C). If the biodiesel solidifies, the fuel is not suited to that temperature and a blend may be necessary in winter. If it is cloudy, it may be allowed to settle and the liquid oil used as fuel at that temperature. The settled (solidified) biodiesel will melt for use in warmer months.

3. Clarity. Look through the biodiesel in a jar. It should be crystal clear, even if it has colour. Cloudy biodiesel may indicate water or that the biodiesel has a high cloud point (refer test 2) Water in biodiesel can be removed by evaporation, after draining any liquid oil from the bottom of the container.

DO NOT MAKE BIODIESEL IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE. Make it outdoors.
Food processors and blenders will rapidly degrade and will leak. Their motors are a major source of sparks which can ignite the methanol fumes.
Do not leave oil heating unattended, there are people who have burned down their homes because of this.

Use care, take precautions, be safe.
Spot the Hazards, Make the Changes.

Marc1
1st July 2006, 09:59 AM
On the topic of using Biodiesel, I keep reading from people how their vehicle "loves" the new fuel.

I understand the enthusiasm implied in such expression but we are talking about a machine and fuel aren't we? So the only considerations are assurance of constant quality, supply, power and short and long term effects on the machine in question. Everything else is irrelevant.
In a country that has a total absence of quality and quantity inspections on petrol stations any source of fuel from dubious and variable quality is a potential problem. If anyone has to change injectors, let alone fuel pump, the advantages of biodiesel will be offset for the next 50 years for that particular car. A visit to your local diesel injection specialist will be an eye opener, and a look at his invoices to motorists and even bigger stimulant for caution.
Of course the feeling of pioneering a change is a consideration yet it does not fit in the simple equation fuel+engine=power+emissions

I suggest that with all the enthusiasm for biofuel, we still must be critical and demanding when it comes to quality assurance be it for the biodiesel provided and for the diesel used in the mix.

The fact that someone is feeding a clapped out diesel engine SVO, or even a mixture of old engine oil and kero, does not mean that those with consideration for their motor that when looked after should go for a million kilometers, are missing out on something.

I wonder if someone has included in the biofuels equation, the cost enegry, down time, emissions etc, from producing parts and other fringe problems associated with the unregulated sources of biofuels and their causes of brakedown.

Juggla1
4th July 2006, 12:19 AM
G'day All,
Just tried to message geewizztoo but the box is full.
I am also new to biodiesel and also near Holsworthy. (Macquarie Fields)
Have been using straight vege oil in my rough 93 Landrover defender for about 6 months and want to get into Biodiesel so I can run it in my Wife's future car. Please contact me if you wouldn't mind showing me the set up and process. (This is my second message on a forum... can I give my mobile number or email address on these forums?)
Dave

yeeros
19th July 2006, 06:43 PM
Hi Everybody

I went to post and wrote heaps then i accidentaly deleted it all so now i have to type it all again :), so if you get it twice sorry.

Anyway i'm just a new memeber but i gotta say i'm very interested in bio diesel. I don't know if its ok to make it where i am (girlfriends house) but i can help and i can get my hands on big 44 gallon oil drums that used to have olive oil in them. I can also get my hands on the big blue plastic drums as well. I don't have an oil source yet but that won't be too hard i hope (you know greeks and fish and chip shops). Anyway I'm mega interested in this as i have had to curtail my lifestyle heaps with the diesel prices as it seems all good fishing and hunting areas are a bit away. not to mention all i have read about how good it is for your engine.

Anyway I would love to help somebody make it one day to see what is actually involved. I know i can do it but man i'm a bit concerned for first go and hey i still gotta know what i'm talking about to have any hope of convincing my girlfriend in using the backyard as a refinery :)

Gug
27th July 2006, 11:32 PM
Hi y'all, I'm in West Pennant Hills, just joined the forum. I haven't made or used any BD yet (that I'm aware of), still getting all the bits and pieces together, but I'd love to meet up with anyone who's brewing successfully at home for a demo. I've recently bought a Land Rover Defender with the Tdi200 engine to replace My 2.8lt Hilux dual cab which is currently for sale (how about a classifides section Rob?). I'm keen on Bio fuels as a sustainable fuel sorce for the future and to cut the fuel bill to work each day, it's an 80km round trip. Thanks for the forum, I've already got heaps of invaluable info from it, can't wait to hear from you.
Graeme.

Robert
28th July 2006, 12:35 AM
A classifieds section is indeed something I've considered and I will add it one day (probably in a few months) as I am planning a major overhaul of the forum. In the mean tim, we'll just try to plan some of the events that we need to get happening in Sydney (I'm just a bit time poor at the moment sorry, but I can assure you that there will be things happening soon :o )

Tim
8th August 2006, 12:13 PM
Hi I'm a total novice at making fuel but would like to talk to some one who is making it sucesfully.
I can be contacted through this web site, or you can even ring me on 0425322008 or 0247417868. I live in the blue mountains at Springwood.

Robert
8th August 2006, 10:35 PM
Hi Tim, I've edited your post to exclude your email address - spam spiders will find it in no time and you will not be able to stop them from filling up your own private email with crap. Better to just tell people to contact you via your personal profile on the site which will hide your email address from the public, but still allow people to contact you.
There are a couple of other folk from Springwood in here, have a look around and you might also consider a trip down to Homebush for our picnic day (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/sydney_biodiesel_users/515-sydney_biodiesel_users_picnic.html) once we get the details sorted.

geewizztoo
9th August 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Tim,

I'm still willing to help, but I'm getting more enquiries than I can handle. I'm planning to organise a local workshop soon and I'm currently working on finding a suitable venue. I'll keep you posted.

Jacka
9th August 2006, 07:28 PM
geewizztoo

What sort of venue are you looking for with regards to holding a workshop?

Flappers
9th August 2006, 09:12 PM
Hi guys. Am new two to biodiesel, but very interested in getting started in producing my own. I too would like to observe an experienced backyard producer at work before attempting to make my own. Just to be sure i'm going to do it right and not make any common mistakes that i'm sure first timers like myself are prone todo. I'm really interested in your workshop "geewiztoo" pls let me know when you are able to finalise details. I was looking at building an "appleseed type processor" from an old water heater, anyone here done something similar? Very excited about producing my own fuel, already owning one diesel vehicle and having ordered the missus a new ASTRA TDI to be picked up Fri. week.

geewizztoo
9th August 2006, 11:29 PM
What sort of venue are you looking for with regards to holding a workshop?

Most of the issues holding me back revolve around safety and covering my backside. Preferably a neutral location, ie - not someones shed, plenty of space, safe, good ventilation, lots of parking, easy to get to, etc, etc.

Cameron
11th August 2006, 12:11 AM
Hi geewizztoo,
I know you want to do it locally but if you decide to travel a little more I cold arrange for a space suitable workshop and trainingroom space for you at UNSW.

Let me know.

Cameron

Robert
11th August 2006, 11:13 AM
Yes please Cameron! Uni labs would be a much better, more neutral site. Please get us some space there and I'm sure it would be well used. We at least have to have a first session and then once the process is down pat and everyone is feeling more confident, perhaps other sessions could also be done elsewhere. The hardest part is the hurdle of the first one, so if you could help overcome that, I'm sure folk in the outer fringes would not mind a commute into UNSW.

Michael David
18th August 2006, 01:05 PM
Robert & Cameron - Hi I'm also new to this but have been getting info from Tilly & others. I'm at the stage of experimenting with Titration using Dr Peppers methods, as far as large batches go I've picked up an old 250L hot water system & 44 gal drum that I'm still converting to meet my needs. If you have a work shop day & or any advice for me I would be extremely grateful. I live in the Campbelltown area & drive a Landcrusier.
Am eager to get started & look forward to your reply's
Thanks & Regards
Michael

Bob
20th August 2006, 08:50 AM
Hi Guys, I want to get into making the brew. I'm hoping to have 200 litres of WVO in a few weeks, but I've just started a new job and work every second saturday. I would like to attend your "training day" werever it may be. I live at Kellyville and can be contacted on my mobile 0412 479 123.
Bring it on. Bob.

Captainbumbly
23rd August 2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Guys,

It was really good to find this Australian forum on bio diesel.

I've been doing some research into BD & came across this site. I noticed you lived locally (as do quite a number of BD users by the look of it) & thought I'd put some questions out there that I could'nt find answers to.

I'm curious to know what the per litre price of BD works out to be around the Sydney metro?

Even though I've read the evidence to say BD is great it still feels like a daunting step & what do you do if you go on holidays, can you still fill up on petrodiesel? I dont like the idea of towing around 44 gallon drums of BD.

C/Bumbly

Robert
23rd August 2006, 01:41 AM
Hey C/Bumbly,

I can't comment on the price, as I don't make it myself, but I can tell you that biodiesel & petrodiesel will mix happily in any ratio. You can move from one to to the other with no worries. If you decide to make your own bio, have a good supply tanked up in your garage, then find yourself on holidays with only dino-diesel available at the pump, you will still be able to use it. Biodiesel needs no engine modification and you can switch between dirty distillate and biodiesel at any time. :D

gwalker
28th August 2006, 11:24 PM
I'd be interested in a training workshop. I'm also into multimedia and would be interested to make a DVD of the process etc.

George

Cameron
1st September 2006, 06:16 AM
Hi George,
There has been some talk about a workshop in one of the other forum areas and it will definitely happen. Right now we seem to be a little more focused on organising our first social get together and on establishing the national users group.

When the workshop does happen I am sure that filming it for a dvd would be a great idea.

Cheers,
Cameron

kyah
11th November 2006, 11:39 PM
Hi all...Im looking to connect with other people in the area, I will be around Penrith in december and january. I run my toyota dyna truck on waste vegi oil (she has driven 10000km)and want to start making my own biodiesel maybe just to start up and shut down im not sure yet?? see how it goes and the size of the processor i plan to build......I have some plans for the reactor and a recipe i want to follow...would be great if there were others in the area who want to join in the fun of offer some advise.....
kyah

kerryn
1st December 2006, 12:23 PM
Hello there, my first post, about to purchase a small diesel car, to use biodiesel. Does anyone sell it out here? I am not anaware of the risk in answering this question, but there seems to be serious users out there, and need to know before I commit..will probabley do it anyway, as i am great beleiver in the underground...i am a tafe teacher and was telling one of my students to refine it, and i would buy from him..is marrickville the closest pump station? I am in baulkham hills - any other hills people out there interested? keen to see whats out there, kerryn

pangit
4th December 2006, 03:36 PM
The Marrickville station closed a long time ago. Don't know if/when it will reopen.

As for buying it from other home brewers I think that is a big no-no due to the tax/legal implications. As soon as anyone starts selling something for profit they can get into a whole heap of trouble if it's not done above board. And that means a whole mountain of paperwork and cost to do it legitimately, the biggest one being you have to have it tested to meet certain standards which is very expensive.

So for most backyard brewers it's unviable to sell it, so they only produce enough for their own consumption, thereby staying (mostly) under the ATO radar.

However I think there is one place you can buy it from legitimately in the Sydney area, and I believe Robert and a few others take occasional trips there to buy it by the drum. Don't think the cost is much lower than dinodiesel though.

Robert
4th December 2006, 04:43 PM
Yes, if you are in it purely to try and save a buck, don't bother. Biodiesel is bigger and better than just saving a buck in many ways, social, environmental, political and not to mention - better for your car.
The first batch I bought was for $1.45/L and that was when petrodiesel was around $1.10.
If you do want to buy it, it can be found at Rutherford, or also can be arranged if it is in large quantities from Morris who still runs The Biodiesel Station (http://www.thebiodieselstation.com), just not from a fixed retail location. Occasionally, a group of people gather together and make a combined purchase.

gwalker
4th December 2006, 10:24 PM
If you do want to buy it, it can be found at Rutherford.

What minimum quantity do you have to purchase at Rutherford?

Does Rutherford have a bowser to fill up a vehicle tank or do they require you to purchase in drum loads or larger.
George

Bob
4th December 2006, 11:08 PM
keiran bd can be purchased at volume plus Wentworthville ( south side GWH, West of Cumberland hwy) or Vineyard ( left hand side before the public school going towards Windsor) The first one is more reliable but when you get it ask them for a phone No so you can check up on supply. I have not had any problems with the fuel in seven months. Bob (Kellyville)

Robert
4th December 2006, 11:32 PM
yes, Rutherford have a bowser and they are quite friendly. They have a min quantity of 200L. Volume Plus... buyer beware! Maybe they've cleaned up their act, but I will never purchase fuel there again until they can actively demonstrate some more consumer friendly manners.

gwalker
5th December 2006, 08:36 AM
yes, Rutherford have a bowser and they are quite friendly. They have a min quantity of 200L.

Thanks for this info.
George

Robert
7th December 2006, 07:55 PM
For those of you, like myself who do not trust the VP unknown blends, B100 will be available if you can get yourself to Homebush on Sunday morning. See this thread for more info (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/buying_biodiesel/1643-b100_supply_day.html).

kerryn
8th December 2006, 11:52 AM
hi there, as a rookie, does anyone have any info/experience with vw golf, converting it to biodiesel? and what is wrong with volume plus blends? wish i had purchased my car already, i would be over to homebush. Does the truck make regular trips around Sydney? thanks to those standing up for all the other amazing reasons for biodiesel, rather than the price. Just talking about it and anticipating /planning the change over does wonders for the guilt you feel when you fill up(that you are putting more profits into very fat pockets already, and maybe adding to the agnst around oil supply and therefore indirectly indfluencing the war in Iraq???) all these things go through my head anyway, but that there is another way is very exciting. and powerful.. bring it on! Thanks for replys to my first question also, cheers, kerryn

kerryn
8th December 2006, 11:54 AM
another quick question, where is rutherford? it keeps coming up in conversation. ta,kerryn

Robert
8th December 2006, 12:14 PM
Hi Kerryn. There are volumes of discussion all over the forum in many different sections about people's experiences with VP. Try this thread for a start (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/australian_biodiesel_industry_forum/299-future_fuels_distribution_sydney.html), also have a look here. (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/buying_biodiesel/524-volume_plus_servos_unknown_biodiesel_blends.html?h ighlight=golf) The short answer is that they have developed a bit of a bad reputation.
Now, as for biodiesel in a VW Golf (I assume you are talking about the diesel version), then there is no conversion needed. Biodiesel is designed to run in any diesel engine without conversion. There are some people who want to run straight vegetable oil (SVO), which is really just unprocessed biodiesel. If you want to run SVO, then you do need to make a few modifications. Check the SVO area for more info on that (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/). If you want specific info on the VW Golf on biodiesel, this topic has been discussed lots in here, so try using the search function with the words "VW Golf" and you'll turn up lots of threads discussing this.
Your last question: "Where is Rutherford?" It's up in the Hunter area, near Maitland. You'll find it on the biodiesel finder (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/vbgooglemaphse.php) map. Check here (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/vbgooglemaphse.php?lat=-32.715096&lng=151.514256&zoom=7), then zoom in to get a closer look.

proff
13th December 2006, 02:35 PM
Giday From The Mountains Near Lithgow
I Have A Hilux 3 Ltre And I Would Love To Have Access To Cheaper Fuel

Hidatid
23rd June 2007, 09:19 PM
Hi guys I'm setting up my biodiesl plant and was wondering if some experienced producers could walk me through the process from aquiring the equipment to producing my first batch. I have a nice 2 element hot water system coming and a supply of good waste cottonseed oil.what I need is a pump ,fittings ,titration equipment , filtration system ,methoxide tank,wash tank and storage tank ,address of methanol supplier and chemical supplier .I'm in the St Mary's /Penrith area

PapaLopez
25th June 2007, 04:20 PM
Hi Hidatid,
We may be able to help with the Methanol part. We were able to get 20 liters of it (can supplied as well) at the bulk fuel outlet on the Great Western Highway at Werrington. (Almost opposite Mc. Donalds). The depot is directly behind the gas station on the corner (I think it's Werrington Road).
It cost us around $49 and that was over a year ago, but I don't think much has changed since then as the place is still there. When you manage to get this up and running, we wouldn't mind buying from you. Happy hunting

Frank and Eva Lopez. :)

Hidatid
27th June 2007, 09:37 PM
Good to here from you frank and eva ,since my last post I've made some progress .I've sourced about 250 lt of quality cottonseed oil ,bought scales, pump and some lab supplies .Ive also found two places I can buy bulk methanol for $1.00 a lt

proff
28th June 2007, 10:27 PM
can you beat $1.25 per litre

quesoburgesa
29th June 2007, 04:32 PM
Hi Hidatid,

Can you please tell me what volume of methanol you need to buy in order to get it for $1.00/lt, and from where? $1 sounds great, especially compared with the $1.40 I pay!

Thanks,

Justin

Hidatid
5th July 2007, 05:57 AM
The price from Austorc for a 205 lt drum is $230.00 gst inc and no drum deposit is required.As being registed for gst I claim $23.00 +a $3.00 return on the drum at a drum recycler Doing the sums has it at 99.5 cpl. Also I can fax an order to them and they will drop a drum at my door for $25.00 I save about 2hrs and don't have to handle heavy drums on or off vehicle

gwalker
5th July 2007, 09:31 AM
I can't find Austorc in the NSW White pages. Can you supply their contact phone and address?
George

Hidatid
6th July 2007, 11:29 PM
Austorc are in Punchbowl NSW 98211128

rogpol
27th November 2007, 04:51 PM
Hi, I've been watching the forum for a while, and with the movement in petrodiesel pricing "its time to move on" (sounds like an election statement... but enough of those !!).
So here again is the pereneal question... I live in the north west of Sydney not far from Auscol and am looking for a supply of vegie oil. According to aged posts Auscol won't help (but I may be wrong) but any other source will do. I'm arranging for 220 litre storage drums to be delivered soon and will be able to collect locally without a problem.
Any advice???
cheers
Roger

David
27th November 2007, 09:13 PM
I see so much oil around in so many places, I myself am at a loss to imagine how anyone in the suburbs can't get all they need.

The stuff won't fall in your lap. You have to get out, drive around, go see people and develop a nose for where the oil will be. For the investment of your time you will be repaid 100 times over with cheap and environmentally friendly fuel, whichever is more important to you.

Small clubs like bowling clubs are a good source as many don't seem to have enough oil to attract the attention of the collectors but can easy do 40-100L per week. In my experience with these places, they will thank you for taking the oil off their hands.

A lot of people seem to think that because they see collectors drums somewhere, the place is off limits. If your fair dinkum about getting a supply you will see these drums as opportunity markers and you will go see the shop owners and see if they will give you some of their oil.
Now before the veg oil morals police jump in, technically it is theft to remove oil from their drums even if you have the shop owners permission. If you are troubled by such things, you can always put your own drum there and ask the shop owner to fill it for you first.

Be aware however the oil collectors have nothing like the lofty morals often preached to us veg oilers and will take the oil from your drum or take the drum all together. You can of course work out when they do their collection and get in before them. If your making Bio and want to get rid of your glyc or want somewhere to dump your slops, Putting them back in your own drum just before the collector comes is a very convinent way of getting rid of them. They will happily take whatever they find and if they are stupid enough to steal your waste, then they are entirely and completely at fault.

You will find most shop owners think of the used oil as a waste product they are more than happy to get rid of and don't give a dam who takes it as long as it is gone. Generally when you ask at places that have oil they will tell you they already have someone collecting it. I have then asked " Well would you mind If I collected some of it too?" This little persistence will then return a 90% response of " I don't care who takes it as long as it's gone!" You are then free to take as much or little as you like.

Many people reccomend having a meal or buying food at the place you want to approach and certainly this method has been successful, sometimes too much so, for me. I have been to places with friends who have had a word with the chef and lined up oil I didn't want in the time it takes me to go to the bar for drinks and come back!

If you approach 5 places and get the knock back from them all, you are doing something very wrong so change your approach and tactics and try again. If you have young kids, by all means take them with you and buy them something and then ask about the oil. In my experience your virtually guaranteed a yes with this pitch. :D

Many people go after oil put back in the original tins. Only a small percentage of places do this but they are normally the ones without collectors already. I find tins a pain and you end up with drums everywhere that if you don't stay on top of, can be a real problem. If you get tins, get a sledge or great lump of wood and flatten them down and put them in the recycle bin as soon as you empty them.

Personally I much prefer pumping from drums into the plastic 25L drums that the floor cleaner and detergent comes in and most restaurants have a pile of out the back you can appropriate for free. For $50 you can buy a boat bilge pump with a healthy flow rate on oil and just keep it submerged in the oil drum and pump off the liquid gold into the drums. When you get home you just empty them into your 205L settling drums and go out on your next run with the same small drums. I have 16 of these clear drums so I can see the oil level as I pump it. I can put 8 in the car at a time so I get one lot of 200L, unload it, put in empty 25L drums and I am straight back out to the next pickup. When i get that home then I can put it in the settling drums when I'm ready.

I suggest using the largest storage drums possible. 25's and 60's are a waste of time, go for 200's or the 1000L square ones on a pallet. I'm going to get some 200's and cut the bottoms out and weld them together so I can store more oil without taking up more yard space and have the bungs at the top and bottom for filling and draining. ( Fill from the Bottom Bung and take off the overflow from the top.)

Big tip: Check out the oil before you ask for it! There is some around that you really don't want no matter how little you regularly get! :o

Getting oil isn't rocket science but does take some effort and persistence. In the metropolitan area, there is more oil than all veg oilers could ever use.

Kalikaputra
6th December 2007, 10:01 AM
Hey

New to the forum. I am interested in makign my own bio-diesel for personal use. I have a Holden Captiva turbo Diesel (2007). Before startign I would like to be able to watch someone making it, I learn best that way. I am in Mayshill (near Westmead).Thks
alex

Robert
6th December 2007, 12:52 PM
You should come along to the picnic on Sunday (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/nsw_biodiesel_users/3464-sydney_biodiesel_christmas_picnic.html) - that's where you're sure to meet some people who can give you some good advice and help get you started.

Kalikaputra
7th December 2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks mate,checking out the site now.If its not too far I will be there.

Kalikaputra
10th December 2007, 08:43 AM
Couldn't make it out there is weekend.You know when is the next meeting?

Robert
10th December 2007, 08:47 AM
We'll probably try to have one around March next year, but the location is as yet unknown.

Kalikaputra
10th December 2007, 10:21 AM
Hey Robert

At the the start of this thread you seemed to not know much about making bio diesel.Where are you at now with it?Just for me to know. I am a medical practitioner with not much experience with hands on stuff like this. How difficult have it been for you to learn how to make it?
al

Robert
10th December 2007, 09:31 PM
Hey Robert

At the the start of this thread you seemed to not know much about making bio diesel.Where are you at now with it?Just for me to know. I am a medical practitioner with not much experience with hands on stuff like this. How difficult have it been for you to learn how to make it?
al

Funny thing is that I still don't make biodiesel! :o

Having said that, it's not that difficult. I buy my biodiesel commercially from The Biodiesel Station in Marrickville, rather than make it myself, but as you might imagine, I've mixed with a lot of people who do make it themselves.
If you can get yourself some used cooking oil, some methanol and some potassium (or sodium) hydroxide, you can mix some up quite easily. But I'm really getting out of my depth here, so I'd suggest you talk to some of the people who actually make the stuff themselves.

Kalikaputra
11th December 2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Strider59
8th April 2008, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone,
My name is Frank and I'm in Dundas (5 minutes east of Parramatta).

I'm hoping to join the ranks of home brewers to make biodiesel to feed my hungry 80 series cruiser wiht a 1HZ motor and aftermarket turbo. At over $200 to fill the tank and family in Port Stephens and down in Canberra and Albury am hoping to save a few dollars on fuel and have some fun in the process.

I made my first test batch using new Canola oil and some caustic Soda from Woolies (drain cleaner) and bought 5L of Methanol from Whiteys in Merrylands ($1.40/L). I've had the caustic soda for months and it had a few big lumps in the container. The soda dissolved in about 2 hours and I got what I thought was a great separation within and hour. Only about 100ml of darker brown glycerine and a fairly clean separation line and slightly cloudy yellow "biodiesel" on top. I separated out the biodiesel and added an equivalent amount of water and shook teh mix up violently in a bottle. After a few hours, I ended up with 3 distinct layers - about 800ml of yellowish liquid, a band of about 2cm of snow white soapy looking stuff and about 800ml of slightly cloudy looking water.

Figured I wasn't quite ready to start pouring stuff into my fuel tank, and am hoping to find somebody reasonably local to help get my gear and techniques set up properly and maybe save myself some very expensive motor / fuel system repair bills.

Some years ago I started the Australian Toyota Surf owners forum (ToyotaSurf Australia Site (http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au)) and the site now has more than 3,000 site forum members. Nearly all of them with Turbo diesel Toyota Surfs.

I also have a friend with an old boat with big twin diesels that gobble about $700 in fuel just to go between Sydney and Port Stephens (needless to say that kind of trip doesn't happen often). The thought of getting affordable fuel to enjoy time on the water is also very motivating...

For those of you who actually read this far in my post - cheers

Frank
Dundas NSW

pangit
8th April 2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the forums Frank. Glad to see you're experimenting with making biodiesel. That's exactly how we learn.

The middle soap layer is probably because you used too much NaOH (you didn't specify your quantities) and it mixed with the water when you shook it up to produce the soapy layer.

You don't need to shake it up too vigourously, just invert the container a few times to mix the water in.

However the top layer should be good to put straight in your car as long as it is nice and clear.

You should probably get some new NaOH as clumping means it has absorbed moisture from the air and has lost its effectiveness. You can also use Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) which dissolves more easily but costs more and is more difficult to get hold of.

Strider59
8th April 2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks Sean,
I measured out 3.5g of NaOH using a small set of digital scales bought off eBay (accurate to .1g). A little was stuck ijn teh measuring bowl probably due to moisture absorbed from the air. I manually compensated with an extra "pinch" - I'm assuming that this probably mucked everything up.
will have a stab at titration and test batch no2 this coming weekend.

rgds
Frank

RODEONICK
8th April 2008, 08:01 PM
you got oil yet?
no use gettin excited unless you can get a regualr supply.
did you remove the glycerin before you put the water in?
good luck and welcome abourd.:)

Strider59
8th April 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks Nick,

I've spoken with a few local restaurants and take away shops and believe getting oil won't be too hard. Based on what I've read in the last few days, the local take away shop oils will probably be a bit overcooked and full of ffa's for a beginner like me. The titration exercise has me a little intimidated and hopefull a bit of practice over the weekend will get me over this hump. I'll gt some samples and decide which oils will give me the best chance of success ?? I'm about to get a few good condition used 44 gallon drums from my brother - I'll paint these up and get them ready to leave them with the shops I manage to convince to give me oil.

What does everybody do with their waste glycerine, filtered out food scraps etc?....I assume it's not legal to put this stuff in the normal waste, and there's only so much you can do with a stockpile of 20L drums full of waste glycerine and food scraps???

Frank
Dundas NSW AUstralia

http://www.bestplace.net.au/biodiesel/IMAGE_299s.jpg a 200ml sample from my first attempt at making biodiesel - about 40 minutes after mixing 1L of clean Canola with 200ml Methanol and 3.5G of NAoH

http://www.bestplace.net.au/biodiesel/IMAGE_300s.jpg
And the result of washing the decanted biodiesel in an equivalent quantity of tap water. There's no way I'd be game to pour this stuff into my motor!!

RODEONICK
9th April 2008, 01:07 AM
the titrations are really quite simple but i know where your at it was dauting i know. you might get the WVO in the old 20L drums as i do. i personally prefer this as i dont have to pump the damn stuff. as for glycerin i heat above 70C then leave to cool and put into the sandy soils inmy garden. But most goes into 20L drums and into the industrial waste bin. the hight ffa stuff is still easy to make bio out of -titrations are the key. as for filtered out food scraps i dont bother as the reacton drops all this crud out.
i have never made any bio with new oil i cant believe how clear/white it is.

how do you plan i titrating? what method.

CARL BRUCE
28th May 2008, 10:42 AM
Hi all
Have read and appreciate all the info in these pages. I live in the Kenthurst /Windsor area, and want to get started. We all have different reasons for Bio, I'm trying to educate my kids in the carbon cycle, plus enjoy projects, and of course the money thing.
In the first instance, i travel to Marickville regularily and am happy to bring drums of B100 back to the north west for anyone who wants them. Just call me. Happy to have my number passed on to any of your friends that you think are a bit freaked by B100, but might use it as a blend with fossil diesel. It all helps the co2 issue.
Secondly, have told the wife she is getting a new hot water heater, cause i need the old one.....
I would love to watch / be involved with anyone making a brew some time. You can read all the books but nothing like seeing it. Happy to bring a slab.
Can anyone give me a heads upon methanol and Koh or Naoh in the Windsor area?
Thanks for the forum and generosity of those helping us newbies.
Carl
0415 476 474

Proff128
29th May 2008, 09:56 PM
Giday from Bilpin, this is in the middle between Richmond and Lithgow.
I can't find where to get some methenol.
I am having trouble in getting the hardware to start making Fuel for my Hilux.
I need to get started and saving money . I am spending way to much at the pumps.

Allen

markinsydney
2nd July 2008, 10:38 PM
Hi all

I'm still researching options for my new Hyundai I30 auto. I've been watching, reading and learning from all your experiences for months now, and I have to say...thank you everyone, you're a wealth of information.

I was planning on starting to produce my own B100, but then it occurred to me...equipment becomes cheaper the more it gets used, and unless you run a fleet of vehicles, most production equipment sits idle between bouts of frantic activity, which makes it expensive.

So if anyone in Sydney (I live in Baulkham Hills) with a late model diesel car, who is already producing biodiesel, wants to collaborate in costs, time and effort, I'd like to hear from you. We can produce larger quantities so costs come down and I'm happy to contribute to the cost of equipment.

My email is mark_schmidt@hotmail.com

Cheers

Markinsydney

Spanner
20th July 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Stewart,
Some people have all sorts of fears about biodiesel and what it might do to their cars. I have been making bd for about four years and have it down to a fairly fine art now. I began making it because I run a Toyota Coaster bus which is privately owned and cannot be hired out so as to make it earn its keep. I needed to reduce running costs as much as possible so began making bd. I have since bought a diesel car to get about in and needless to say, run this on bd as well. I travelled 47000k's in the diesel (in 19 months) and never once changed the fuel filter - sold it with the same filter that was in it when I bought it! No changes were made to accommodate the bd and it ran as well on bd as it did on petro diesel. I now own a diesel van and have put about 20000k's on taht in eight months without changing the fuel filter. A friend with a Toyota Chaser diesel tells the same story. So long as the fuel is well made and is clean, you should have no troube with it.
Having said that, if your vehicle happens to be a modern high tech common rail diesel, you would be well advised to put the fuel (good quality fuel remember) through a one micron filter before putting it into the tank. Some of the bd being marketed by Volume Plus servos is pretty suss and could be bad news, particularly for common rail diesels.
The oil from which the bd is made has a bearing too in terms of how it reacts to low temperatures. Bd which is made from some animal fats is fine in hot weather but clouds and solidifies in the cold - this makes reliable motoring doubtful if you happen to live in frost prone areas! This happened to me once when I overnighted in Wagga in the dead of winter. That has been my only problem in four years of motoring on B100. (ie. 100% biodiesel) I produce about 100 litres of WVO each week.
I would be happy to answer any further questions.
Cheers, Spanner

yugie25
6th June 2016, 01:31 PM
Hi Guys,
Im new to the world Of Biodiesel and SVO,
Im based in Campbelltown NSW, Im trolling through the forum to learn as much as I can but Would Appriceate if any one could throw me a few pointers!
Im purchasing a 94 GQ patrol NA diesel to play with,
Cheers
Bobby

Tony From West Oz
6th June 2016, 08:51 PM
Bobby,
(http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads/5301-Vehicles-converted-to-Used-Cooking-Oil)welcome to the forum.
Have a look at http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads/5301-Vehicles-converted-to-Used-Cooking-Oil
(http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads/5301-Vehicles-converted-to-Used-Cooking-Oil)To see a few others who have Patrols using 2 tank conversions to run on WVO.
Try using the Google search facility to search within this forum (see below in my footer)
Regards,
Tony