Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Methylated Spirits to dry biodiesel

Hello everyone,

I thought I rememberd someone on here posting that you could 'dry' bio by adding a cap full of methylated spirits which would drop out the water. I've searched but I can't seem to find it.....he even said there was a song about it that his daughter couldn't stop singing!
    Anyways, does anyone else know about this? Does it work? Do you need to agitate after adding the methylated spirits?

Could be very useful for drying in an emergency

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Using Methylated Spirits to dry biodiesel

Hi Dave,
    Methylated spirits would probably work as a co-solvent between the water and BD, but not by dropping out the water. I've tried it with isopropanol which clears up 'wet' biodiesel by keeping it in solution.

Comment

Hey gee,
      Not sure about what you mean. Isn't the object of 'drying' bio to DROP the water out, and not keep it in solution?

Comment

Hello bio popo,

The aim is to not have any water in suspension.
        You can either dry the biodiesel or put the water back into solution using alcohol.

Tilly

Comment

Wet biodiesel is cloudy because of the tiny water droplets held in suspension. You can see it because there is an interface between the oil and water. Adding alcohols, such as methylated spirit or isopropanol, acts like a bridging molecule between the oil and water and magically puts it back into solution. It's still there, you just can't see it.

Comment

I have found the easiest way (for me) is with heat and not much is required.
            I use a 300w Aquarium Heater only during winter and it works a bloody treat. In fact I am bubble washing 120litres of bio now with 20litres water and the heater is on at 26degC. It has been freezing here at night and after a 12hr wash and a few hours settling with the heater on my torch will shine from top to bottom seeing a amber clear bio. (that is after the second bubble wash)
            I over wash my fuel (if that is possible)
            2 25litre spray washes
            4 20litre 12hr Bubble washes with 12hrs settling between washes - with heat.
            The forth bubble wash the water is as clear as it went in so it could be cut from the process.
            HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
            Canberra

Comment

So by putting the water back into solution, does that make the biodiesel acceptable for your vehicle?

Comment

It seems to be

Comment

But you arn't really drying it out then.
                  HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                  Canberra

Comment

You do not really dry it out if you heat it

You just remove enough water so that the remaining water is in solution at the current temperature and humidity.
                    I have often seen biodiesel that was crystal clear at 90deg C become very cloudy at 20deg C

Tilly

Comment

There were some companies that were selling diesel fuel with around 20% water held in emulsion in the diesel. I doubt that 'wet' biodiesel would even have as much as 1% water suspended in the biodiesel.

Bo-gas used to (may still do) sell diesel fuel with 10% ethanol in the diesel. A bit of alcohol in the biodiesel isn't a big deal, especially if it keeps any water in solution.

I usually put a litre of methylated spirts through my fuel system once a year in order to clean out any water that may have condensed in the fuel tank.

Comment

Working...
                      X