BMW Australia's Position on Biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Australia's Position on Biodiesel

This is cut & pasted from some correspondence that one of our members had with BMW Australia and their reply regarding their position on biodiesel. Please note that this response does not necessarily indicate BMW Australia's official viewpoint at the moment, but it did at the time it happened. I would suggest that you make your own enquiries and I would welcome BMW Australia's responses in here. (The names have been changed to protect the innocent).
    Robert - The BMW rep is obviously better informed than the VW rep, but in the end. Regardless of the amount of testing that has occurred, there is not enough. Fancy that, not enough testing. Forum Member

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 03 February, 2006 14.34
    To: Forum Member
    Subject: BMW & Bio Diesel

Thanks Forum Member,
    I have passed your information onto BMW AG for their comment on the whole Bio Diesel area. As soon as I have a response, I will come back to you.

Regards, BMW Australia
    Engineering and Technical Manager

Sent: Friday, 3 February 2006 1:43 PM
    To: BMW Australia
    Subject: RE: BMW & Bio Diesel

Dear BMW Australia,
    Thank you for your time today. As requested, I have attached the Australian Standard for Biodiesel, and I submit that bona-fide manufacturers
    stringently adhere to this standard. I would like to expand on this by stating , no company involved in petro-fuel refining is as stringent in their application of standards as is the Biodiesel Industry. I appreciate that there are numerous "backyard & non-commercial" operations that do not perform due diligence in the testing of their product, but their product is NOT on the retail market. However, there is complying product on the market, and BMW drivers would like to utilize in their vehicles with the blessing of the manufacturer.
    As I mentioned US automaker, Chrysler, has expanded their OEM umbrella to
    include B20, and I have attached that article as well. I sincerely hope that BMW Australia can se the handwriting on the wall and have adopted a policy that demonstrates their commitment to Alternative Fuels, The Environment, and the Economy of Australia.
    I look forward to both receiving your reply and progressing the dialogue that will inevitably ensue prior to the revision of OEM policies.
    My Very Best Regards,
    Forum Member

================================================== ====================
    Dear BMW Australia,

Thank you for your reply. ACEA, the European Automobile Manufacturers Association, of which BMW is a member, states; "biofuels are acceptable as long as they meet current fuel quality requirements stipulated under directive 98/70 and that the quality/purity of the biofuel is guaranteed. Otherwise car manufacturers will not meet their emissions requirements".

Your statement below appears to conflict with this published position. Clearly, if an inferior fuel (either petrol based or organic) causes a problem with the fuel system of a BMW, then there is sufficient justification for excluding warranty protection, but if the purchaser of a BMW uses Biodiesel and does not damage the fuel system, would not the warranty be just a effective had they used petrodiesel?

As bad petrodiesel can be purchased, would not the BMW warranty be as affected by bad diesel as it would a bad batch of biodiesel?

If this is the case, isn't the owner of the vehicle responsible for acquiring a quality fuel that conforms to National Standards in order to protect their warranty?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
    Forum Member

Sent: 21 December, 2005 09.14
    To: Forum Member
    Subject: BMW & Bio Diesel

Dear Forum Member,

The BMW Group Worldwide currently do not support the use of Bio Diesel fuels in any of our vehicles at all at this stage.

It very well may be approved in the future, but currently there is insufficient test data and regulatory measures in place to assess it impact both on the vehicle and on the environment.

Thank you for your enquiry.

BMW Australia
    Engineering and Technical Manager
    BMW Group Australia
    Fax: +61 3 9562 0278
    Web: www.bmw.com.au
    Robert
    Administrator
    Last edited by Robert; 27 May 2006, 01:10 AM.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: BMW Australia's Position on Biodiesel

I run a bmw320d on biodiesel and it runs like a dream. 16,000kms on b5 - b80.

Comment

30,000 kms now on b0-b100. No issues, but it runs better on bio.

Comment

12,000km on my 2007 BMW 120d (LCI)
        No problems so far!

All I need to know from BMW is 'are any of the fuel related seals made from natural rubber?'... It's like getting blood from a stone.

Paul
        Two BMW 120d (April 2007 & June 2008)
        Both running B100 (from WVO) since new
        26,000km & 27,000km @ 3/4/09 and going strong! :)
        web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel

Comment

Working...
        X